No announcement yet.

Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC Engine Disgust today with the worst console port out there. Yes, even worse than the Master System.

Comment

Ugh, Golden Axe on the PCE is utterly sh*te

Comment

Paha yes I feel that level of horror is a must own. Tbf I had the SMS as a kid and loved it

Comment

Golden Axe has killed my PC Engine CD! Tried to play another game after it but every CD game now has a load error. Music CDs load up and play just fine. But every game won't load. I can play all the music tracks on the game using the CD drives manual controls though.

I'm wondering if it's a PSU issue? When I try to play a hu-card game via the Everdrive, I get interference like glitches across the screen ever 5 to 10 seconds. This never used to happen. Any help?

Comment

That sounds like the laser has gone, mine had a similar problem. would play music ok but wouldn't load games or if they did eventually boot they would take forever to read the disk & load the data. To be honest nowadays they are pretty fragile things, they are like the first gen of cd playing technology so a lot are pretty much burnt out or on their last legs, you might be able to find a replacement laser for them. Surely in japan there must be places that sell refurb repair parts for pce.

Comment

Feel that pain, arcade card arrived - opened brand new Kabuki game, won't load! Card will play SCD games fine, game works in an emulator OK....have ordered a fatal fury 2 to see if its the ACD or the drive, though other non ACD games work OK. Problems.

Just noted with the wrong system card it does display the screen telling you so on that game hmm.
              Last edited by Baseley09; 26-10-2021, 17:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                Feel that pain, arcade card arrived - opened brand new Kabuki game, won't load! Card will play SCD games fine, game works in an emulator OK....have ordered a fatal fury 2 to see if its the ACD or the drive, though other non ACD games work OK. Problems.

Just noted with the wrong system card it does display the screen telling you so on that game hmm.
                That's sounds more like a issue with the Arcade card . Bummer

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                  That sounds like the laser has gone, mine had a similar problem. would play music ok but wouldn't load games or if they did eventually boot they would take forever to read the disk & load the data. To be honest nowadays they are pretty fragile things, they are like the first gen of cd playing technology so a lot are pretty much burnt out or on their last legs, you might be able to find a replacement laser for them. Surely in japan there must be places that sell refurb repair parts for pce.
                  Oh man, I hope it isn't the laser. It's been working flawlessly with no signs of degradation the suddenly it decides not to work after just playing a game just fine. Major bummer

Comment

Have you tried very gently cleaning the laser head? maybe there's a bit a gunk on there a posibillity if you have used a game & then it started acting weird.

Just be VERY gentle if you do try & wipe the dust off as they are very fragile those lenses.

Comment

Yeah, gave that a try but no luck.
                      I bought a refurbished unit today for 9,000 yen. This one has:
                      1. Replace the internal gear with a new one
                      2. Adjustment of each variable resistor, replacement of some radial capacitors
                      3. Inspection and repair of solder cracks
                      4. Polishing terminals and grease up pickups

Full tested with games too. So hopefully that will solve the issue. If the refurbished unit has issues, then I think it maybe a PSU issue.

Comment

Which PSU do you have? The one that comes with the base unit isn't sufficient to power both the core unit and the cd-rom2, I think you really want something with at least 1.5A of current.

Pretty sure I sold a setup as faulty years ago because I had the wrong PSU...

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                          Which PSU do you have? The one that comes with the base unit isn't sufficient to power both the core unit and the cd-rom2, I think you really want something with at least 1.5A of current.

Pretty sure I sold a setup as faulty years ago because I had the wrong PSU...
                          It's the one that came with the CD Interface unit. Mine is the system that came with the CD part and case. It's an official NEC brick. It's been fine for that past few years I've been using it. But the fact that the PC Engine side shows graphical glitches when running the Everdrive makes me suspect the PSU. It never used to do that.
                          I guess I'll find out once the refurbed CD section arrives.

Comment

Ah fair enough. Hopefully the refurb sorts the issue then.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroRevival View Post
                              Not a bad way to start a new-release / homebrew collection...

Brilliant games, the both of them. The Megadrive really has been going through somewhat of a renaissance period these last few years. I’m eagerly awaiting my copy of Demons of Asteborg.

Comment

This just arrived today:

Wish I’d bought it when it was available on Amazon for £45, but instead I pontificated over whether I wanted it or not for months and months, and when I finally decided that yes I did want it, it was no longer available.

Had to buy from an eBay seller in the US for $66 which on paper isn’t bad - only 10% above retail - but once all the shipping, customs and VAT got slapped on it cost me almost £100. Not such great value…

Comment

Working...
                                X