Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really love that cover on MGO.

Comment

Last time I bought an original Xbox game, it was still a current system!

Saw this in a Cex I don't visit that often last week, today decided I'd go for it before the price starts getting stupid. I wrote it off previously as I thought it looked a bit dirty for the money, but actually the sleeve/manual/disc were nice. It was just the box, so I bought another Xbox title for a quid (Full Spectrum Warrior - already had it) to do a swap. So that's £18 plus £1, £19 total.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
        Last time I bought an original Xbox game, it was still a current system!

Saw this in a Cex I don't visit that often last week, today decided I'd go for it before the price starts getting stupid. I wrote it off previously as I thought it looked a bit dirty for the money, but actually the sleeve/manual/disc were nice. It was just the box, so I bought another Xbox title for a quid (Full Spectrum Warrior - already had it) to do a swap. So that's £18 plus £1, £19 total.
        Now play it on a Xbox One X or Series X for some 4K action.

Comment

My RetroTink arrived today. Too tired to set it up but will give it a try this coming Saturday. Looking forward to seeing the new CRT filters. It was those that really sold me on the device.

The hardware came in a little hemp like baggie which was funny.

Comment

Oh man, nice get, hope I get mine soon.

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
              Oh man, nice get, hope I get mine soon.
              You should do if it was bought in the last batch from Late October. Mike Chi said all orders will be shipped by the end of November.

Comment

Hesitating to put these here, but it certainly isn't "current" gaming and we're two generations on from it now. I never had a Wii, but me and the missus decided to make a move on it whilst things are still in the "dirt cheap" phase. She picked up a very clean and barely-used original model (with the GC backwards compatibility) and a couple of Wiimotes. We've then been looking at every random secondhand and charity shop going to source some of the cheaper games and here's where we are up to. System came with the top four and we've found the others locally.

It's quite an interesting challenge obtaining games for the Wii - the games are all over and mostly £1-5, but you have to comb through about 90% (conservative estimate) shovelware and the same old junk like Wii Sports. Then when you find the few games you want, they're usually in shocking condition or missing the manual. Since they're so cheap I don't see any point picking up rough ones, so there's been a ton of stuff rejected on condition alone. I'm certain the only game we've seen to date where the first one we saw was the one we bought was Bust-a-Move. Most of these games we've seen quite a few times before finding a nice one - I think the copy of Resi 4 is the 6th one we saw before the condition was nice enough. We've inspected probably 15 copies of Samba De Amigo and still not found one that wasn't rough or incomplete. I think between us we've opened about 500+ Wii boxes over the last fortnight and we're only at this stage. I certainly can't doubt that the primary audience was little kids.

Not intending on keeping any junk or collecting for the sake of it (I think Rayman and maybe Red Steel will hit the road probably), just wanting to build up a broad selection of curated stuff while the going's good. Also just got a component cable for it the other day. Had a great time on House of the Dead 2 last night!

Comment

Was just about to say, the House of the Dead 2 port on it is great. I put tons of time into that. Another good one to get is House of the Dead Overkill, which is very different but a lot of fun. Also GHOST Squad. Which everyone knows is awesome.

If you've never had a Wii at all, there are tons of gems though. The Mario Galaxy games are peak Nintendo.

Comment

The Wii has some cracking games on it. Two you likely won't find cheap but are essential to try are Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Muramasa: The Demon Blade.

Comment

TvC is a stone cold classic!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                        It's quite an interesting challenge obtaining games for the Wii - the games are all over and mostly £1-5, but you have to comb through about 90% (conservative estimate) shovelware and the same old junk like Wii Sports. Then when you find the few games you want, they're usually in shocking condition or missing the manual. Since they're so cheap I don't see any point picking up rough ones, so there's been a ton of stuff rejected on condition alone. I'm certain the only game we've seen to date where the first one we saw was the one we bought was Bust-a-Move. Most of these games we've seen quite a few times before finding a nice one - I think the copy of Resi 4 is the 6th one we saw before the condition was nice enough. We've inspected probably 15 copies of Samba De Amigo and still not found one that wasn't rough or incomplete. I think between us we've opened about 500+ Wii boxes over the last fortnight and we're only at this stage. I certainly can't doubt that the primary audience was little kids.!
                        Is this genuinely an interesting challenge? Imagine all that time that could be spent playing games instead. Why not just get USB Loader GX installed along with a 1TB external drive and call it a day? It's not like Nintendo or any of the other publishers are getting a cut of the money you're spending. You'd save absolutely tons of time, frustration, money, and shelf space.

If you enjoy admiring a shelf full of games then fair enough, but that's a lot of energy being expended there.

Comment

House of the dead Overkill is awesome!!
                          Good selection of stuff there. Resi 4 on Wii is THE way to play it. It does make it quite easy but it feels so good.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                            Is this genuinely an interesting challenge? Imagine all that time that could be spent playing games instead. Why not just get USB Loader GX installed along with a 1TB external drive and call it a day? It's not like Nintendo or any of the other publishers are getting a cut of the money you're spending. You'd save absolutely tons of time, frustration, money, and shelf space.

If you enjoy admiring a shelf full of games then fair enough, but that's a lot of energy being expended there.
                            I don't find it frustrating at all! It's a good laugh and it makes otherwise uneventful trips out interesting. You mention energy being expended but that's kind of why I do it. I work a sit down office job so when I'm working in town, I'll use my lunch break to go for a wander round all the secondhand places. Means I can get my steps in but have some purpose to doing it. Same for if I'm going into town with missus to get our food shopping done.

I've always enjoyed picking through secondhand shops looking for bargains, not just limited to games. You can score some deals you'd never find on the Internet. Case in point, the other day where I got a ton of mostly desirable Game Gear games for a pound a pop. Couple of weeks back my missus found a mint condition official PS3 pad for a fiver and some awful Bratz PS2 game for 99p that sells on the Internet for £15 because it's weirdly rare. It's free money for nothing more than knowing what something is worth.

Last reason is that basically I've always bought up games for systems when nobody's really into them any more, because you can't lose. Might as well have my pick of the Wii games while I can find mint condition ones for spare change money. Always a good laugh when you see some tatty copy of a game going for £50 that you picked up in mint condition for a couple of quid a few years ago. People laughed at me buying Master System games in the late 90s, Mega Drive games in the early 2000s, Saturn games in the mid 2000s, Dreamcast games in the late 2000s, etc. It always worked out in the end.

Comment

Yep, all part of the hobby. Just like how some folks devote a good amount of their gaming time to acquiring, testing and comparing different CRTs and upscalers. Or tinkering with mods and ROM hacks.

I've watched all of The Game Chasers on YouTube, which is literally just two guys digging through piles of rubbish to find battered NES carts for hours on end. Genuinely compelling viewing for some reason.

Comment

I think I have spent at least double the time scouring secondhand stores and Yahoo Auctions / Mercari over the last year than I have actually playing games. In the abstract it seems wasteful when the point is to, y'know, play games, but there's no doubt for me that finding bargains is its own buzz.

Comment

Working...
                                X