Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
    It won't last you long sadly. I completed it within a few hours.
    I’m terrible at games so should get a bit more out of it!

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
      I've been playing the above for years, I mostly buy my games when the format is in that weird dead period between being relevant and collectable. Most of the games I'm buying at the moment are PS3/360/Wii and the usual price I'm paying is a fiver or less.
      I think it does work I guess whenever a generation is done. But those 16bit games were a part of my childhood, and then seriously rocketed in value. Seeing them for peanuts was quite weird.

Comment

Made a video of my latest pick ups including some in store footage at Hard Off.

Comment

Went to the charity shop to see if anyone had got rid of their Neo-Geo AES or something. Apologies for the terrible phone shot but I'm yet to find a repair man. You can't see it but they're all mint and complete.

Batman Arkham Origins: Not really worth much, but missus wanted it.
          Killer Is Dead: I'd already wanted to try this, but was waiting to see it in good condition at a low price (there's been a scabby one in Cex for £22 for absolutely ages). Not sure what makes it limited edition.
          Lighting Returns Final Fantasy XIII: Not quite my thing but I was tempted by the tin case and being in mint condition, missus will probably end up playing it. Seems to go for £35 on the Internet so that was nice.
          Killzone Classics HD: I presumed this would be worth about a quid, but ended up looking it up out of curiosity as I'd never seen this edition of it. Seems to regularly sell on eBay for £40!

I paid... £4 a pop. Think somebody might have taken the wrong bag to the charity shop.

Comment

Excellent work. Looks like that Killzone is broken out of trilogy box set.

Comment

I *think* that Killer is Dead is missing the cardboard box and extras that make it the limited edition. Unregardlessly, I absolutely love that game, hope you enjoy it!

Comment

Killer is Dead looked absolutely stunning in previews, great art style. Game wasn't all that, in the end, personally. Good find, though.

Comment

Originally posted by monel View Post
                  Killer is Dead looked absolutely stunning in previews, great art style. Game wasn't all that, in the end, personally. Good find, though.
                  Absolutely. Looked so good in magazines but like practically all grasshopper games, it didn't play that well. Wish I had kept my 360 copy of it though along with the other grasshopper gamers I sold.

Comment

I thought it played fantastically. I love B tier action games and this one had a fantastic combat system. You could instantly cancel out of any attack (if I remember correctly) with block so you could really go to town on groups of enemies, comboing, cancelling and evading into the counter throws. I'm a GHM fan boy so take everything I say with a pinch of salt but I think most GHM action games play amazingly, they just aren't traditional.

Comment

After realizing quite how much modding I was going to have to do to get my NES back in the UK to do all I wanted it to (e.g. playing enhanced-sound games like FC Castlevania 3) I decided to just go the whole hog and replace it with an AV Famicom. From there, I realised that Disk System games - which I'd previously written off as more hassle to get working with an NES than they were worth - were suddenly much more accessible. And, well now I have this.

The Disk System hardware is great. I can completely see why the load times are off-putting, but it all feels pleasingly 'analog' what with the audible drive whirrs and required disk-flipping. Plus, playing Kid Icarus with an actual save system and not that laborious password system is gratuitous luxury. I plan to get Metroid too for the same reason.

As for the AV Famicom hardware, it's absolutely a trade-off of some of the charm of the original Famicom or NES in exchange for greater practicality, but it makes for a nice example of 90s 'retro futurism' with its compact, asymmetrical design. I don't like the controllers as much as I thought I would though. The D-Pads on both of mine are both somehow simultaneously too stiff and too sensitive to diagonal inputs. It's been a while since I held an NES controller but I don't remember either issue.

And finally, the games - playing SMB2 on real hardware is something I never thought I'd do, so that's been a fun experience, overlooking how much of a total b****** s***-eating f*** the game actually is. It's a neat historical relic but I absolutely think NoA made the right call.

The surprise hit for me is Otocky. I'm a sucker for music/ rhythm-action games, but this really is its own beast - while the few articles on it call it a precursor-of-sorts to Rez, I'd say it's more like if R-Type met Electroplankton. And it's really good.

Last edited by danstan21; 04-01-2022, 11:08.

Comment

That does look pretty interesting, and is going on the list of things to look out for. I do like my FDS setup, but there is definitely something nice about the way actual Famicoms sit on the disk system, too.

Comment

Really nice rundown. Otocky looks a very intriguing game, and it's a new one on me.

Comment

Here's those games I got in non-blur-o-vision. Now I'm seeing them in the light properly I'm amazed at the condition, I would be surprised if any of the discs have even been used. They're like brand new!

As a counterpoint, I was in Cex today looking for a cheap PS2 case for something and eventually (after I'd spent literally 20 minutes combing through the cases looking for something that wasn't completely knackered) I found an old copy of FIFA near the back that was in alright shape. Went to pay my 50p, check the state of the disc they handed over! Good job it'll be getting launched in the bin really.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                              Here's those games I got in non-blur-o-vision. Now I'm seeing them in the light properly I'm amazed at the condition, I would be surprised if any of the discs have even been used. They're like brand new!

As a counterpoint, I was in Cex today looking for a cheap PS2 case for something and eventually (after I'd spent literally 20 minutes combing through the cases looking for something that wasn't completely knackered) I found an old copy of FIFA near the back that was in alright shape. Went to pay my 50p, check the state of the disc they handed over! Good job it'll be getting launched in the bin really.

Dude, I've got Saturn games I bought in 1995 that still look brand new. The problem is that most people don't care about stuff. I hope the games you bought were played to death by an individual that looks after their items

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                                Dude, I've got Saturn games I bought in 1995 that still look brand new. The problem is that most people don't care about stuff. I hope the games you bought were played to death by an individual that looks after their items
                                It's the same with me, I've been going through every game I own to get them in order and give everything a bit of a clean. It's really obvious which ones I bought new myself even compared to the better used stuff. Even things like the box sleeves feel different.

The worst part about finding games in the wild is that they deteriorate simply by being out. Those PS3 games were mint because they'd only just been put out, doesn't take long for somebody to start smacking the boxes around, damaging the manuals, dropping the discs on the floor, etc. Half the reason I'm in the charity shops and Cex constantly is not just to buy games before anyone else does, but before they get wrecked. It's really frustrating sometimes because you can tell some games were mint before getting pawed over. I just look at what wasn't there last time I went.

That disc was kept behind the counter though, amazed they accepted it in the first place. I'm tempted to trade it back to them (for 1p per their site) and see if they reject it. It's worse than it looks - some of the scratches are deep enough to catch a nail in.

Comment

Working...
                                X