No announcement yet.

Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Ridge Racer but Daytona always feels pointless on a console in single player. In the arcades with a load of friends it's a totally different experience.

Sega Rally on the other hand is probably the best racing game of all time. I had it on the Saturn and I've just started playing it again via emulator. Once you get used to it there's so much depth and subtlety that you always feel like you can shave a few seconds off your time. I'd take it over Gran Turismo 7 any day.

Comment

I've tidied up the Saturn/PS1 games courtesy of an ancient box of CD-Rs in sealed jewel cases that won't be missed (I presume). This is with the exception of Sakura Wars/Sakura Wars Steam Radio Show/Fish Eyes which all have bespoke cases that were fine after a bit of hand polishing. And CG Shun Di I left because the case was nice anyway. Hard to photograph at night with lights on, but that just means they're shiny!

I know people have mixed opinions about originality when it comes to jewel cases, but they had loads of cracks and heavy scuffs. If I can't save them, I'm quite nerdy about finding jewel cases of the exact style and I transfer the plastic trays over so the hinge bit looks the same (most are the same standard dark grey, but not all). I've always had more of a "buy cheap and make good" attitude with things so it suits me, we're talking about maybe £25 worth of games in this pile if I'm lucky. Just don't want them to look like raggedy old junk.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
        Sega Powered Issue 1+2: Heard great things about this magazine but had no chance to buy it until now, so I bought it directly from the people themselves! Looking forward to getting stuck in when I'm not exhausted from driving all over the place.
        If anyone reading this has not picked up a copy then DO IT NOW! Words can’t describe how good it is… prepare to be transported back to 1993.

Now I just wish someone would create a Nintendo equivalent, or better still go full on Mean Machines to include the PCE and Neo Geo.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
          I know people have mixed opinions about originality when it comes to jewel cases, but they had loads of cracks and heavy scuffs. If I can't save them, I'm quite nerdy about finding jewel cases of the exact style and I transfer the plastic trays over so the hinge bit looks the same (most are the same standard dark grey, but not all). I've always had more of a "buy cheap and make good" attitude with things so it suits me, we're talking about maybe £25 worth of games in this pile if I'm lucky. Just don't want them to look like raggedy old junk.
          To be fair I've done the same thing with Japanese PS1 and Saturn games that I picked up cheap in the past. Originality is always nice, but if it's a standard jewel case that's damaged/cracked then I replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
            If anyone reading this has not picked up a copy then DO IT NOW! Words can’t describe how good it is… prepare to be transported back to 1993.

Now I just wish someone would create a Nintendo equivalent, or better still go full on Mean Machines to include the PCE and Neo Geo.
            Sorry to do this, everyone hates people who correct minor things.

Mean Machines never covered the PC Engine or Neo Geo. The first issue zero had the PCE. Looking back you may mean mean machines as in the 16 bit generation. Also as a kid Mean Machines was good but it really doesn't hold up. There is nostalgia and the screen shots but that's it. The later Sega one is probably better but been a while now, can't recall.

Comment

When mean machines was at the back of CVG it covered PC Engine if we are really going to strip the carcass

Comment

Okay so confession time: I never actually read Mean Machines. I had an Amiga as well as a Megadrive so mainly bought ACE as a multi format back in the day with the odd issue of Gamesmaster and CVG here and there.

My point still stands in that Sega Powered is amazing and someone should do a multi format version covering the 16-bit generation with a smattering of Saturn and PlayStation.

Comment

I personally think we need a PCE equivalent mag.

It’s something we never had back in the day to any significant degree and there’s a wealth of writing to be had on the system.

Comment

ACE? Yes let's run a cover story on the CDI / 3D0 / jaguar with DAT add on taking the world by storm. Good times, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by monel View Post
                      ACE? Yes let's run a cover story on the CDI / 3D0 / jaguar with DAT add on taking the world by storm. Good times, haha.
                      I’d stopped reading it by then. It was around 1988 - 1990 that I was buying it, but yeah even then they would cover stuff like that. I remember a big double page spread on the FM Towns… never saw it featured in any other mag. I almost didn’t believe it actually existed.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                        When mean machines was at the back of CVG it covered PC Engine if we are really going to strip the carcass
                        Was that written by Tony T? I remember the surname but don't want to spell it wrong. I think CVG kept calling NEC UK to ask about the PC Engine.

ACE, I think I remember that FM Towns feature. They had some good articles but were smoking some strong substances, maybe. They had an April fools on some VR bar brawl game I think.. I kind of wish I purchased less media back then, they were all like a 30 minute read. Great fun, though, maybe.

Comment

I'm going through a real Sega period in my life, which I put down to listening to the entirety of the Sega Guys Podcast over the Christmas break, while playing the wonderful Forza Horizon 4 which made me yearn for Sega racers of the 1990's.

It started with (As some of you may have saw me post on Twitter) with searching for some classic Sega Saturn games I wanted to play and quickly being stunned by how reasonable Japanese Saturn games were. Sometimes, the classics (But not that collectable) were far cheaper than their UK PAL counterparts and not only that, but play far nicer along with being a nicer collectable in my eyes.

Before I started, I decided to not pick up a Sega Saturn system as I'll be going down a real rabbit hole if I wanted to hook it up to a modern TV and look good and instead, just focus on picking up mint examples of some of my favorite Saturn games. Before I knew what I was doing, I was able to pick up mint examples of Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua On and Virtua Cop 2 for around £10 each. All had their spine cars, registration cards and just looked the business. I was pretty impressed with prices and as they were reasonable, I could hold out and wait to get an example of each game in the condition I wanted.

Now, I've just picked up Daytona USA and decided to not go for Circuit Edition as the original is the game I remember and the guys at Sega Guys championed the original over CE. Also, I found out that Dead or Alive got a Limited Edition release in Japan on the Saturn (I thought I knew everything about PS1 and Saturn collecting!) that came in a nice sleeve, art book and nice looking CD. Although, if you take a look at it, the art on the disc contains code that mentions parts of the body... It got me wondering, did Tecmo print on the disc a portion of their code that made body parts move?

Anyway, I've now got 6 Saturn games and also, I was able to find a mint and sealed copy of Virtua Fighter 3tb on the Dreamcast. It's the game that's most looked down upon in the series but for me, it's up there with VF2 and VF4. I vividly remember just how state of the art it was back in the 90's and when I saw it running in a London Arcade as a kid, it was shocking. Cut to playing it on my Dreamcast on UK Launch day, it was like the Arcade had arrived in my bedroom. Yes, it's not technically Arcade 1:1 but their is little to fault in the game when taken on it's own and the combat mechanics that haven't really been bettered (An effective dodge command, geometry that hinders or changes the fight) mean that VF3 is still unique and combined with where it came from, a wonderful time capsule.

My little retro shelf is filling up nicely now! I'm still debating whether to buy a Saturn but if I do or don't, I love having the games on my shelf and playing a wonderful Saturn emulator on my PC (Once again I had no idea Saturn emulation was this good and shared my thoughts on Twitter) is enough to quench that first!

Comment

Decided to suck it up and get all of the SMT games on 3DS. You can still get this for £40 via online retail for now.

Comment

Playing that at the moment and it's fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
                                Playing that at the moment and it's fantastic!
                                Yeah it's class, I had a blast from start to finish the last time I played it.

Comment

Working...
                                X