• Show
Clear All

Popped up through the post today

Comment

Originally posted by beecee View Post
      Popped up through the post today
      Lots of Capcom goodness to enjoy.

Comment

Recent purchases from the past few weeks, just now seeing how manky the inside of that Megaman 3 cart is

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post

Recent purchases from the past few weeks, just now seeing how manky the inside of that Megaman 3 cart is
          Super Mario RPG is awesome. Chiki Chiki Boys is a nice game. Marble Madness is pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
            Super Mario RPG is awesome. Chiki Chiki Boys is a nice game. Marble Madness is pretty good.
            I'm very fond of NES Marble Madness, I had it as a kid and used to play it all them time

It's interesting how easy some of these old games are these days. I found Marble Madness incredibly difficult growing up and it took me a long time to beat but I reached the final stage easily the other night.

Comment

I found Marble Madness incredibly difficult growing up and it took me a long time to beat but I reached the final stage easily the other night.
              For some reason, Marble Madness is a game I haven't played much over the years, but I do think it's a good game. The version I have strong memories of is the Amiga edition, which is a very close port. I watched Mike from AVGN play the NES version with a friend the other day and they, after much trial and error, completed it.

I often go back to 8 and 16-bit games and find myself being better at some of them. I think it's because I have more patience these days, or maybe it's because I'm just better at games now? Which would be strange, seeing people tend to say they're worse at old games these days. For me, it's the opposite; I definitely have more patience and that makes me better at games. Luckily, my reflexes seem just as sharp as well. I'd destroy my teen self at Street Fighter 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                For some reason, Marble Madness is a game I haven't played much over the years, but I do think it's a good game. The version I have strong memories of is the Amiga edition, which is a very close port. I watched Mike from AVGN play the NES version with a friend the other day and they, after much trial and error, completed it.

I often go back to 8 and 16-bit games and find myself being better at some of them. I think it's because I have more patience these days, or maybe it's because I'm just better at games now? Which would be strange, seeing people tend to say they're worse at old games these days. For me, it's the opposite; I definitely have more patience and that makes me better at games. Luckily, my reflexes seem just as sharp as well. I'd destroy my teen self at Street Fighter 2.
                Yep, it's the complete opposite for me as well. I've vastly improved over the years and games that were hard back then like Rollergames and Rescue: The Embassy Mission in fact are far easier today.

I think it is just patience, I got frustrated with games quite easily back then lol.

Comment

I think it is just patience, I got frustrated with games quite easily back then lol.
                  When I was a kid, I'd play games until I could breeze through them. But when I was a teen, I became very impatient and only really put effort into games I immediately gelled with. If a game had gameplay issues(things that annoyed me) I would just dismiss them. Now I go back to old games and don't feel that horrible impatient feeling, and I'm not worrying about teenage life, so I feel more relaxed and can actually learn to play games properly. I go back to games I didn't give a proper chance as a teen and find myself wondering "Why did I not like this?" because many are actually good games once you focus.

Of course, judging by YouTube retro gamers, it's uncommon to have more patience for old games when you're older.

Comment

It's surprised me how short older games are in comparison to some modern games.
                    I remember first playing Revenge of Shinobi and on the vertical office level thinking "This game is really long!"

I know I have less gaming time now, but a good game can grip me for months and months on end.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      It's surprised me how short older games are in comparison to some modern games.
                      Yeah, retro action games don't take long to complete when you know what you're doing. Modern action games are far longer experiences that offer many hours of gameplay. I used to replay games quite a few times back in the day, but when I've completed modern titles, I don't tend to go back to them. I'm also not sure if many modern games will stand the test of time as much as 8 & 16-bit titles. Graphics are far more advanced now, but graphics seem to age quickly, and nice retro pixel art, to my eyes at least, stays looking fresh and appealing. I think abstract looking games stand the test of time better than stuff that aims for realism; that's always been the case.

Comment

Just received Sub Rebellion (PS2), Armored Core 2 (PS2) and G-Police (PSX). I played g-police when it first came out but never finished it, I've never played the other two so I'm looking forward to playing them

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
                          Just received Sub Rebellion (PS2), Armored Core 2 (PS2) and G-Police (PSX). I played g-police when it first came out but never finished it, I've never played the other two so I'm looking forward to playing them
                          I'd love to play a HD remake or a sequel to G-Police.
                          I tried to play the original recently, but the draw distance was so short, I found it unplayable.
                          It left like wondering around a cave with a Zippo as your only light.

Comment

It looks miles better on PC but getting it running with 3D acceleration is pretty much impossible unfortunately.

Comment

G-Police and Colony Wars would be perfect for PlayStation VR but with Psygnosis long gone I doubt it will ever happen

Comment

Had my november haul delivered a couple of days ago, got the following;

PS2
                                007 From Russia with Love
                                007 Nightfire
                                007 Everything or Nothing
                                WRC
                                Ace Combat 4
                                Tekken 4
                                Stuntman
                                Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3
                                Maximo
                                R-Type Final
                                Hot Shots Golf 3
                                Hot Shots Golf 4
                                XGRA
                                Le Mans
                                The Bouncer
                                Unreal Tournament
                                Hitman 2
                                The Godfather
                                Yakuza
                                Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
                                Raw Danger
                                Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits

PS1
                                Die Hard Trilogy
                                Air Combat
                                Soviet Strike
                                Nuclear Strike

PSP
                                Disgaea
                                Coded Arms
                                Wipeout Pure
                                Lumines

Decided to start boosting my US Playstation collection before the games go for silly prices. Have already seen it with games like .Hack, Klonoa and the mega man games.

Comment

Working...
                                X