Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post

If gaming was as big as it was today, it would have been fine. It would have been a secondary console like a Wii U to play all those sweet arcade games.
    When you're a kid/teen you tend to have one console, so it's understandable why many chose the Playstation over the Saturn back in the day, as the Playstation was promoted and hyped up far more. It was seen as much cooler and exciting than the Saturn. Despite the Saturn having some nice games, the media tended to generate negativity for the machine. Whereas, journos, in general, were always praising the Playstation and acting like it was the best thing ever.

I really enjoyed all the Namco games on the Playstation. The Saturn had Sega Rally, the Panzer Dragoon series, top quality Capcom arcade ports, and loads of excellent shooters. So, for me, I wouldn't say the Playstation was better than the Saturn, as I really enjoyed both machines.

Comment

Bit late in the month but i got this nice little lot over christmas, I also got battletoads for the MD.

Comment

Originally posted by Godhard View Post
        Bit late in the month but i got this nice little lot over christmas, I also got battletoads for the MD.
        The PCE version of Ninja Warriors is a horrendous port :/

Other than that nice haul

Comment

The PCE version of Ninja Warriors is a horrendous port
          Ninja Warriors is just a horrendous game imo

Comment

Pretty good if you ask me and that PCE version ain't that bad, great soundtrack on mega cd.

Then again I do really like China Warrior

Comment

Yeah Ninja Warriors isn't great, its just pure nostalgia fuel, music is great too.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                Ninja Warriors is just a horrendous game imo
                Yeah, I can be a bit of a drag after playing for 15 minutes. I do like the music though.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                  It was seen as much cooler and exciting than the Saturn. Despite the Saturn having some nice games, the media tended to generate negativity for the machine. Whereas, journos, in general, were always praising the Playstation and acting like it was the best thing ever.
                  I disagree, most of the magazines and stuff I read were full of praise for the Saturn, especially when it was on it's last legs and games were ?20 a pop and the console was ?80 and under. I think a lot of journalists were full of praise in Digitiser, Edge and even the official PlayStation magazine had bits of praise for the machine when they compared games to the Saturn library.

As time moves on though, I'm always less impressed with the machine. I've never liked 2D Shooters (Radiant Silvergun etc.) so that holds no sway with me, but I love the 3D Sega powerhouse Model 1 & Model 2 era. However, the Saturn ports of those games were not Arcade perfect and sometimes very disappointing so those games were ported better elsewhere years later.

I always feel the Dreamcast was the machine the Saturn wanted to be and the Mega Drive holds onto its power with the final cutting edge of 2D era games released for the system. The Saturn is the in-between and I've never held any great love for it.

The PlayStation by comparison has such a vast and high quality library (With the 3D era games holding up far better than the Saturn) that I always gravitate to Sony's 32bit system over Sega's.

Comment

Spot on Wools. All the mags I read praised both systems.

Comment

I always remember magazines and the general video game zeitgeist were pretty down on the Saturn. It was seen by the mainstream as underpowered with insubstantial, arcade style games as opposed to the more serious titles available for the Play Station. It certainly never had that cool, post club vibe that everyone was obsessed with at the time.

Comment

Edge was the official PlayStation magazine. Dreadfully biased back then.

Comment

I disagree, most of the magazines and stuff I read were full of praise for the Saturn, especially when it was on it's last legs and games were ?20 a pop and the console was ?80 and under. I think a lot of journalists were full of praise in Digitiser, Edge and even the official PlayStation magazine had bits of praise for the machine when they compared games to the Saturn library.
                          EDGE were anti Saturn from day one and always pro NCL but backed the PS and SONY for better readership . Digitiser and the likes of Stuart Campbell had it in for SEGA and I hardly ever saw any official PlayStation mag have anything good to say about the Saturn, much less SEGA. Hell half the time they wouldn't even acknowledge SEGA's Arcade games (even when doing a report on Arcade shows) at least Sega Saturn mag would report fairley on Arcade games by Namco and games running on SONY Arcade boards Ect

CVG was one of the few exceptions back inthe day, along with the over looked and underrated classic mag's that were Maximum (which I bet the SONY readership hated and it hurt the mag's sales) and Gamefan (the best multi format Mag this side of Mean Machines) . That said the official DC mag in the UK was dreadfully biased
                          Last edited by Team Andromeda; 13-01-2016, 20:27.

Comment

New arrivals

Last edited by Jamie; 13-01-2016, 20:43.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                              Edge was the official PlayStation magazine. Dreadfully biased back then.
                              That is so true. I never liked Edge. It was a mag that though it was something it wasn't. Like the JapJac of mags

Oh, and Maximum was an excellent magazine. Why that never took over edge I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                                Like the JapJac of mags
                                Brilliant

Comment

Working...
                                X