No announcement yet.

Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great games Skies very nice start to your DC collection MarioMark, all DC games look lovely under VGA, but you won't be glad to hear that neither PAL Skies or Code Veronica supports it. Have to go for USA copies instead.

Skies does look stunning on VGA:

The GameCube version is the better balanced port and includes quite a bit of new content, but at the cost of the music being cut down heavily.

Comment

I too loved my time playing Skies. Funny thing though, my Cube memory card decided to void itself when I was nearing the end of the game so I had to copy my friend's save. Luckily we were at literally the same point in the game. Minor annoyance though!

Paid 20 quid for that in Game way back, god knows what it goes for now. Plus the Cube version is a naff 50Hz port, so I hear.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        Paid 20 quid for that in Game way back, god knows what it goes for now. Plus the Cube version is a naff 50Hz port, so I hear.
        Both the PAL DC and GC versions are ropey optimised 50hz ports sadly, still have them both GC version is really pricey these days in Euro land, didn't sell well on release. Finished the DC release, but only started the GC version never finished it.

Getting hold of the DLC for the Dreamcast is a bit of a pain but can be done via creating a Dream Explorer disc.

Comment

Never finished either. As epic Skies was in world design and it is a good game, too many battles. Looks incredible via VGA.

Comment

The amount of creativity that went into the beautiful game world was outstanding.
            It was, still think the game was overrated myself and went on for too long . I didn't like the end part of the game myself (and yes I did finish the game)

Comment

I love Skies of Arcadia on the Game Cube. I know it went on a bit but I'm quite happy grinding in RPGs. I always thought it was like a kids version of Panza Dragoon Saga in a way. Just like in Saga, the characters were quite well rounded and didn't fit in the simplistic 'good guys' and 'bad guys' tropes that most video games use. There was also a certain degree of moral ambiguity to the themes in the story, from what I can remember.

Comment

Skies is one of the few Japanese RPGs I could be bothered to complete. I prefer the GameCube version.

Comment

I've got it on GC and would like to get through it one day. The encounter rate on DC was one of the worst ever though so I'll never play that one again.

Comment

Tempted to get Shenmue again but don't want to put a lot of time in it only for them to re-release it in HD.

Comment

Skies Of Arcadia is i.m.o one of the greatest JRPG'S ever. The plot, gameworld, characters and music are all utterly fantastic. I remember being mesmerised by some of the locations back in the day and it was one of the very few games where i became so engrossed in it that i actually felt like i had transported into the game and couldnt see anything else around me like my room or anything in it. I never got bored for one second at the story unfolding or with all the memorable characters.

I agree about the encounter rate being too high but it wasn't something that i got too bothered by and i loved both the normal battles and the ship encounters too. I remember feeling sad & melancholic when the credits rolled due to the fact that it was over and yet happy at the same time at how it ended. Very very few games had that effect on me.

Overall i prefer the DC version as although the Cube version add's new stuff and reduces the encounter rate, the music really is noticeably downgraded and with a score as good as Skies it was instantly noticeable especially through headphones.

These days i am playing something of a totally different nature, Supreme Commander Forged Alliance on PC a RTS game and a sort of spiritual successor to Total Annihilation. I guess you could say it's like Advanced Wars only real time and on a massive scale with great graphics and thousands of units. It may take a bit longer than most to learn how to play it but once you do it's gaming crack i would imagine.

Comment

I got near the end of the Cube version, and never finished it, and I can't remember why. Probably don't have time now to go through it again!
                        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I love this series but I didn't know there was a GBA game until I saw it. Pleased with this

Comment

That on looks like some old airfix kit

Comment

Couple of arcade posters (repo's) but still awesome quality.

Comment

Ahh I used to have an original Batrider poster. Unfortunately folded but still snazzy.

Comment

Working...
                                X