Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colin View Post
    Well it would appear the page I used for the SFC serial numbers isn't up to much, just opened it up and it isn't a 1 chip board.

Don't think I'll bother trying again, to be honest I was happy enough with my systems output in the first place!
    What was the serial?

I was looking for a 1 chip SFC a few months ago - wasted loads of time each day checking auctions and got bored with it, in the end I bought a beat up SNES Mini to experiment with, got as far as cleaning the coffee out of it and getting it working, but not checked the video quality yet.

In fact, I have a queue of half finished projects I'm desperate to get done so I can enjoy them and post them here, this is my fav thread!

Comment

To be honest, I don't have a camera good enough to do them justice. The only games I could get a real notable difference with using my camera were Flashback and Mana 2. The difference with Mana 2 especially is startling on my Toshiba CRT.

Flashback US SNES.

Flashback Mini.

Secret of Mana 2 US SNES.

Secret of Mana 2 Mini.

In reality the difference is really big, at least on my TV. The SNES Mini outputs as good an image as the Mega Drive.

Comment

I'd say it looks better than a Mega Drive.

I'm perfectly happy with my launch SuFami RGB but the 1CHIP makes your video output look like an emulator - it's perfect.

Comment

Very nice :-)

Comment

That does indeed look very nice. Were these chips exclusive to Japanese consoles? What are the serial numbers to look out for?

Comment

That Jp RRRevolution brings back some very fond gaming memories Very nice Colin.

Comment

I was using this as a guide:

Comment

Originally posted by acidbearboy View Post
                  That does indeed look very nice. Were these chips exclusive to Japanese consoles? What are the serial numbers to look out for?
                  Nope. PAL and NTSC-U consoles have it too. To get one guaranteed you can get a SNES Mini or Super Famicom Jr. Both of these require the RGB to be "restored" though as only composite was connected to the AV port. This is pretty simple though, I wacked a THS7314 circuit into Martin's and also filtered the 5V on the S-RGB chip and 7805 to prevent the vertical line issue.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                    Nope. PAL and NTSC-U consoles have it too. To get one guaranteed you can get a SNES Mini or Super Famicom Jr. Both of these require the RGB to be "restored" though as only composite was connected to the AV port. This is pretty simple though, I wacked a THS7314 circuit into Martin's and also filtered the 5V on the S-RGB chip and 7805 to prevent the vertical line issue.
                    Genius. I've been following the 1-chip debate here since it started recently. Never knew until then..

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post

I'm perfectly happy with my launch SuFami RGB but the 1CHIP makes your video output look like an emulator - it's perfect.
                      When I put the sharpness on my Framemeister to +1, my standard US SNES image looks exactly like an emulator. The 1-CHIP already has a slight sharpness boost, so doesn't need the Framemeister to sharpen the image at all.

Also, I've used quite a few RGB Scart cables with SNES machines over the years, and some deliver a slightly soft image. The one I've been using a few years now - which is a GameCube cable - gives the best image I've ever seen from a standard SNES. The image looks really clear and sharp. A standard SNES really does need a top quality scart cable to maximise its potential, whereas the 1-CHIP, as it's already a bit sharper, isn't so dependent on cable quality.

Comment

Been told to get downstairs as I was off in retro zone.

Somehow RR still looks awesome, though obviously Revolution isn't the initial version it took me right back to getting my first import system, glad I got caught up in reading the recent chat about the series.

Love the little bonus that the MD flash cart can also change my Japanese MCD's region. Good night all in!

Comment

Popped some pics on the last page for you Colin.

Comment

Can definitely see a difference there Marty, can't be arsed to find another machine though. Bought Jamie's SFC the other day too so I could get the everdrive that was with it, so next week I'll have three systems! I used the same table as mmmonkey to buy the one that arrived today, and the serial landed right in between two of the one chip ones listed, but obviously isn't.

Comment

I wouldn't have bothered looking for a One chip SFC I must admit. I still like the smoothed look a stock SNES gives and it actually feels more 'right' but I'm used to the mini now and love it.

Comment

Look no further than an official GameCube cable for the best image from a Super Famicom.

Comment

Working...
                                X