So, the PC Engine. Worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
    Playing Rondo today. The more I play it the more I like it.
    I've been playing a variety of Castlevania games across multiple systems lately, it's just shown me how different my tastes are to many peoples on here. I get the love for some, and others just leave me baffled. It's good that there are options to cater to all tastes though.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
      This one didn't have a Scart socket, so you had to have different RGB connector. The guy in my local import shop used to make them for people who used these sort of monitors. I think a lot of people chose to use monitors - both with their ST, Amiga or import consoles - back then, as they were around ?199 and gave a really nice image. Then word got around that Sony Trinitron TVs were great for import consoles - and I remember loads of people were using them throughout the '90s.
      I just got mine for the ST and Amiga and it was ace, the only bad part was the lack of 60 hz support . I have to say that the best TV I've ever had for the old consoels was my 27 . Gutted when that died a death not long after getting my Import DC

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
        This one didn't have a Scart socket, so you had to have different RGB connector. The guy in my local import shop used to make them for people who used these sort of monitors. I think a lot of people chose to use monitors - both with their ST, Amiga or import consoles - back then, as they were around ?199 and gave a really nice image. Then word got around that Sony Trinitron TVs were great for import consoles - and I remember loads of people were using them throughout the '90s.
        Yeah man it doesn't have a scart socket but adaptors are less than a tenner and in plentiful supply . Only drawback I know of is the composite port doesn't support ntsc as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
          I've been playing a variety of Castlevania games across multiple systems lately, it's just shown me how different my tastes are to many peoples on here. I get the love for some, and others just leave me baffled. It's good that there are options to cater to all tastes though.
          Which leave you baffled out of interest ?

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
            Yeah man it doesn't have a scart socket but adaptors are less than a tenner and in plentiful supply . Only drawback I know of is the composite port doesn't support ntsc as far as I know.
            You're doing it wrong if you're using composite though.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
              Which leave you baffled out of interest ?
              I wouldn't even want to give my breakdown of the positives and negatives of the ones I've played recently Marty, as it would only lead to a lot of crap in response from certain people that I can't be bothered to respond to.

Comment

Well, feel free to DM me, Colin. Always up for a discussion on CV!

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                  Incorrect. Everyone knows that PC Engine is the only acceptable console to use composite with.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

i think all the castlevania games are bit gash, except Symphony (which is superb). Most of the early games are incredibly clunky

The PC engine CD game (cant remember the name) looks and sounds rather nice though

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                      i think all the castlevania games are bit gash, except Symphony (which is superb). Most of the early games are incredibly clunky
                      I liked the NES ones and Castlevania IV is 2nd only to Mario IV, as 'for me' the best 16-bit platform game I ever played. Never liked the rest until Castlevaniva Lords of shadow which I thought was brilliant. Speaking of the PC Eng I love Spash Lake a overlooked gem that one is

Comment

Heh sometimes that cheap and dirty connection is all you have for nes, 3do etc without posh mods. Like Daryl says tho I am partial to the PCE's composite output....using rgb currently mind.

Comment

I'd rather not have a console than not have RGB available, but that basically just gives you an idea of my priorities.

Comment

If RGB is possible I'll have it.

Comment

It is the reason I'll never own a PC-FX.

Comment

So I was playing a PCE (Soldier Blade 5 minute caravan) at Play Expo quite a lot that weekend.

Think I'm gonna get a Core Grafx II and RGB mod it...

And not sell it damn it!
                                Yes, they had a nice selection, didn't they?
                                I saw a PC Engine with the CD add-on, a Core Grafx II and a Shuttle.

I like the look of the standard white PC Engine the most, but the Core Grafx II has better outputs, is that right?

I really shouldn't go down the rabbit hole...

Comment

Working...
                                X