Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STREET FIGHTER II - 25 YEARS! (Anniversary)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STREET FIGHTER II - 25 YEARS! (Anniversary)

Street Fighter 2 Arcade game 25 year Anniversary worldwide release 1991 Feb 14th.

If I had to pick one game that summed up that whole time and era this would be it. Such an incredible game, such awesome memories.

Street Fighter 2 Arcade game 25 year Anniversary worldwide release 1991 Feb 14thLike the show? Support the show! Patreon us! https://www.patreon.com/happycon...

Edit: How do you embed youtube videos in forum posts?
    I've tried different combinations with the [YOUTUBE] tag and I can't get it to work.
    Last edited by HC_O; 14-02-2016, 15:04.

Originally posted by HC_O View Post
    Street Fighter 2 Arcade game 25 year Anniversary worldwide release 1991 Feb 14th.

If I had to pick one game that summed up that whole time and era this would be it. Such an incredible game, such awesome memories.

Street Fighter 2 Arcade game 25 year Anniversary worldwide release 1991 Feb 14thLike the show? Support the show! Patreon us! https://www.patreon.com/happycon...

Edit: How do you embed youtube videos in forum posts?
    I've tried different combinations with the [YOUTUBE] tag and I can't get it to work.
    Like this

Comment

HC_O, it's just the letters/numbers after the equals sign in the URL that needs to go in the YouTube tag.

Comment

ahh ok cool, thanks

Comment

I just turned 15 when it came out, it's my all time favourite game. I would go straight to Cobra arcade after school and take on all challengers

Comment

Weirdly, despite being one of the forum-people that you'd probably expect to have amazing memories of SF2, most of my memories are of the effect it had on the arcade scene, and not really from playing it. I was crap at it. It came out before I owned a console and was still playing games on the Amiga, so I found it hard to jump from those sorts of games (like Body Blows) where you tended to have one button, and the moves/strategies were simplistic, to something like SFII which really was a quantum leap forward. Even basic things like performing the special moves consistently totally flummoxed me.

That being said, I could still understand why it was such a monumental game. I guess that's a testament to how good it was.

I didn't really get into one-on-one fighters until Virtua Fighter. I think this was because I used to do martial arts as a kid (karate and later MMA - though it didn't really have a name back then!), and Virtua Fighter interested me because I saw something of real martial arts in it that was missing from Street Fighter, even though obviously it was as much like actual martial arts as a wedge of cheese. That being said, Virtua Fighter got me interested in the "metagame" of fighting games (and games in general), so when I went back to Street Fighter with Alpha 2, I realised I'd missed years of quality gaming by not putting a bit more into the genre. I then worked backwards, playing a bunch of other 2D fighters and really getting into them.

These days I still think SFII (ideally its "Super" incarnation) is one of the finest fighters ever, and the only game I think can even claim to be "best ever".

Comment

This was the game that myself and a few other guys from the sixth form would leave school at lunch time across 91-92 to go to the local arcade, having saved money somehow (usually by cutting corners on how much we spent on lunch from our parents!) and would play SF2, both against the AI and competitively. Wasn't until visiting the arcades in London (where you got 7 credits for a quid!) that I learned how to properly play SF2 mind you...
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I returned home from a tour in the Falklands (Christmas 1992) and bought myself a mega drive with sonic and my sister got a streetfighter 2 SNES pack, I spent much more time on her SNES and just loved it back in the day

Comment

My first experiences with Street Fighter II from another SFII thread.

Originally posted by HC_O View Post
                  When I first saw the coin-op running in a local chip shop it just blew my mind, the 8 chraracters, the moves it was simply amazing.
                  Then a mate told me it was available for rent in this local Video shop which used to rent out import games, so we rushed down to the video shop and there it was in the cool SFC golden box for sale at a ?100 but you could also rent it. I had no idea that SFII was getting converted to the SFC, this was the first I'd heard or seen, this shop got a copy really, really early. I heard a few copies were sent out before its official release in Japan and then some of these got imported to the UK, I can only guess this must've been one of those pre-release copies.
                  Anyways I rented it, ran home, shoved it straight in my SFC and WTF!! it was an Arcade Perfect conversion (I thought at the time) with all the moves from the coin-op!!
                  I played that game so much I think I must have Chun-Lis sprite permanently burnt on my retinas.

Comment

Read this a while back & found it fascinating

The history of Street Fighter 2. As told by these who were there.

Comment

25 years? Crikey I feel old. I have so many memories of that game... Playing the arcade before school, 2 hours a day every day for 2 years on the snes, battles at the local import shop... And so on and so forth. For me, as close to perfection as there is. Masterpiece.

P. S. I WILL BEAT ANYBODY ON THIS FORUM AT SF2, ALL VERSIONS!! :P

Comment

Originally posted by roachie View Post
                        Read this a while back & found it fascinating

http://www.polygon.com/a/street-fighter-2-oral-history
                        Yeah, that's an amazing article. When Polygon launched, they really tried to do that sort of stuff to be head and shoulders above other sites.

In the end though, they canned all that because they said it didn't bring in enough traffic, so they adopted the approach of most of the other game blog/site combi game sites (like Kotaku).

Comment

I remember seeing this in an arcade back in '91 and everyone was crowding around the machine. It really was a huge phenomenon. Then Capcom announced the Super Nintendo version and everyone wanted to get their hands on a SNES. It was a game that delivered really approachable and satisfying gameplay, but with enough depth to keep you coming back for more. The graphics, sound, and overall design was superb. For me, one of the greatest games ever made.

Comment

First started playing SF2 as a wee lad back on '91 at my local chippy. I never imagined that I'd still be playing SF 25 years later. SF will never die!

Comment

I remember seeing the first screenshots of it in Mean Machines, and even they were enough to get my hype sensors ticking into overdrive.

Once I finally got a chance to play it in the arcades at Blackpool CE/'92 was already out, and everyone was hogging that, so the queues for World Warrior were not as intense.

I've been pissing around with emulators over the weekend and I'm glad that I played a bit of SF on the day, unknowing of the anniversary.

Comment

Working...
                              X