No announcement yet.

Neo Geo Classic Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neo Geo and mass-market are about as compatible as the Neo Geo Mini and a regular USB-C controller.

It looks groovy and forty Neo Geo games isn't too shabby for 80 quid. 130 is a bit much, though. But it's so bloody adorable. I want to see one in the flesh.

Someone on Yahoo Auctions is already selling a Hori RAP modded to work with this

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
      Yeah just a plain analogue stick in both the machine & the pads, while it's not entirely terrible
      Personally I think it is entirely terrible; an analog stick for a 16-bit console?! That's just wrong.

I don't mean in some kind of ethical sense or cultural sense, I mean it's wrong. Like if a kid writes 2+2=5. It's incorrect.

Comment

Well it won't actually be analog; it'll feel like it is I guess due to no clicky. Like when you're forced to use the Xbox analog stick to navigate its dashboard because the dpad is too flaky but really it feels wrong. Sounds bad whichever way you look at it.

Comment

Pre-orders have been up on Amazon for ages now and you can still buy one, so yeah, at £130 it's not exactly flying off the shelves.

That price point definitely put me off, plus I'd of preferred a mini AES option without a screen and tiny joystick.

Comment

It's $109 on US Amazon, so £84 or so. Prepare to take the shaft anyone buying this in the UK!

Comment

Was mildly tempted when this was first announced, but I think the cost of the unit plus controllers is a bit much for me. Also some of my 'fave NeoGeo games; Soccer Brawl, Windjammers, Baseball Stars and League Bowling - are all missing. I'd have personally dropped some of the fighting games for those.

Comment

I don't think I'll be getting one for that price. I'd quite fancy getting a shell / broken one though... I managed to get 4-slot working (including marquee lights and credit counter) using a PI and arduino, and would like to hack that into the japanese release to make a realistic SC19.

Comment

It looks like you might be able to replace the controller PCB with one out of an actual original CD pad.

Also...

We specialize in preserving the essence, sentiment, and nostalgia of retro gaming by producing modern solutions for handhelds and consoles. We specialize in custom mods and kits for NES, SNES, Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, and more!

Comment

Gonna keep on saying it: it BLOWS my mind that SNK could feck this up in such a spectacular fashion.

Making a mini-AES was CLEARLY the correct answer to this. It was literally staring them in the bloody face!!

Comment

Yep and they already make USB Neo sticks!

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                        Gonna keep on saying it: it BLOWS my mind that SNK could feck this up in such a spectacular fashion.

Making a mini-AES was CLEARLY the correct answer to this. It was literally staring them in the bloody face!!
                        Innit. They must’ve thought they were sooo clever making a mini arcade machine. Blinded by their idea, I think.

On the one hand, most people experienced these games in the arcade but on the other, SNK already did that Neo Geo X thing in spite of that. Maybe that’s why? Maybe they didn’t want to release another ‘console’?

I wish they’d just kept the look but without the screen and controls. Would have been adorable AND cheap(er)

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                          It's $109 on US Amazon, so £84 or so. Prepare to take the shaft anyone buying this in the UK!

https://www.amazon.com/NEOGEO-Mini-C...s=neo+geo+mini
                          as they deliver to the uk its actually cheaper to buy it from them comes, in at 115 with shipping and fees
                          Last edited by Lebowski; 13-09-2018, 11:42.

Comment

I pre-ordered one from amazon just to buy me time to mull it over in case they sold out, but I will probably cancel it at that price.

I thought it would be a nifty distraction to have on my desk at work, but I was expecting it to cost around £90. I reckon you will be able to pick them up cheaper if you're willing to wait.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                              SNK already did that Neo Geo X thing in spite of that. Maybe that’s why? Maybe they didn’t want to release another ‘console’?
                              Not quite. SNK didn't do the Neo-Geo X in-house. Tommo/Blaze produced it with the licensing from Playmore when they owned the SNK IP.

Also, the X definitely isn't/wasn't like a mini-AES at all. It's more like a crappier version of the Switch - a shoddy Dingoo handheld with SNK branding on it and a crappy docking station made to look like an AES for hooking the handheld up to the TV.

Pure sh1t.

Comment

Ahh, that’s what happened.

I guess they made this for the Japanese market first and foremost, but also heard about these hipsters with disposable incomes and wanted to cash in,

Maybe it will actually sell well, another sign that we cynical types represent a tiny minority.

I wonder...

Comment

Working...
                                X