• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
    No, Noer, Noest.
    Maybe it’s just really really far away

Comment

Those Neo Geo X’s are looking pretty good right now huh?

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
      was a cheap Chinese handheld with a wide screen display that stretched games or left big black borders at the side, so not really designed with neo geo games in mind, emulation was crap too. It had issues with battery swelling, the dock it came with was crap and you could only get a limited number of games officially that where sold on sd cards.
      Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
      Pretty much the correct explanation for the Neo-Geo X's sheer unadulterated crapness but at this point there are plenty of things about it to read and watch online to find out for yourself, in all honesty.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDanX View Post
        Nope. Those X's are still a pile of sh1t. Even Tommo eventually realized that and had the decency to pull them out of the market quickly, even if their fallout with Playmore Corp prompted it. A complete and utter shambles from start to finish.

Comment

I think we can all agree anything with an "X" at the end of its name is crap.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            Not a fan of Mega Man X then? Fine game, no?

Comment

Not a fan of Mega Man X then? Fine game, no?
              It was just a weak joke because I was quoting SuperDanX, but he didn't bite.

Mod hat on: don't censor your swearwords, just type them and let the filter do its thing.

Comment

I love mine but I was joking

Nope. Those X's are still a pile of sh1t. Even Tommo eventually realized that and had the decency to pull them out of the market quickly, even if their fallout with Playmore Corp prompted it. A complete and utter shambles from start to finish.

Comment

I love mine but I was joking
                  And that's more than fair enough, my man. If you search back to the Neo Geo X thread on this very forum then you will see that I originally had massively high hopes for it and really wanted to give Tommo/SNKP my money. I eventually got to try one and I am glad that I didn't (£200/$200 RRP was quite frankly taking the p1ss imho) but as long as you dig it then that is all that matters.

FWIW, I'd probably pick one up if I came across it selling for £10 to £20 with all of the "trimmings" (unlikely but hey) as it seems to have been given a somewhat small lease of life as a hackable portable multiplatform emulator, albeit one of highly questionable quality.

Comment

(Neo Geo X was) A complete and utter shambles from start to finish.
                    See, I don't think it was. It was a really good idea, but badly presented.

A handheld console that slips into a dock that connects to a big screen?
                    Well, that concept is now the Nintendo Switch, the fastest selling console in the US, ever.

It also looks quite nice, although it's not too dissimilar to a Dingoo.

Side note, did anyone else see these:

Comment

Well, that concept is now the Nintendo Switch, the fastest selling console in the US, ever.
                      I don't think anyone was criticising the NeoGeoX in concept. From my recollection, although we were always concerned it might be a poor product, everyone loved the idea. I mean the first release sold through.

It was all about the execution.

Personally I also feel it was a missed opportunity not to do a cart of NeoGeo Pocket Color games, especially because it had a "mini-stick" instead of a d-pad.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        it had a "mini-stick" instead of a d-pad.
                        That was from the Neo CD controller.
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                          That was from the Neo CD controller.
                          Well, yeah. My point was more that you can play the "big" NeoGeo games on arcade sticks and they feel right, because they were made for that. The NGPC was only ever controlled via one of those mini-sticks, so it feels weird playing those games on any other pad.

Comment

It also looks quite nice, although it's not too dissimilar to a Dingoo.

It was a Dingoo device, presented to be SNK hardware inside and out.

As [MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION] said, the concept wasn't an issue and, as you've alluded, The Switch has made a success of said concept (even though it has its own problems - another debate for another time).

But even allowing for what you've said, that doesn't change the p1ss-poor quality feel of said Neo Geo X hardware, the fact that it couldn't properly emulate the games that came with it (partly due to it running a very rudimentary version of FBA to emulate said games, despite Playmore and Tommo deliberately pretending that this wasn't the case) and the accessories (a charge/data cable that was known to brick said hardware and massively overpriced ROMs on SD cards masquerading as extra software).

So yeah, pretty much a complete shambles from start to finish and I say that as somebody who was ready to be an early adopter of the X had it been remotely good enough. But it wasn't. The very fact that Tommo effectively binned the X almost as soon as they had launched it says it all.
                            Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 20-04-2018, 12:17.

Comment

It was quite funny when people dug around in the X and found it was using Final Burn Alpha and an old build at that!

I think we're both in agreement, just arguing semantics. I include the concept and design as part of the start, but you're saying production is the start.

I was thinking of things like the recent Atari console announcement where everybody was asking who on earth would want this and that Coleco Chameleon that had a video capture card inside it.
                              One of the biggest controversies in the gaming world right now is the Coleco Chameleon. The Chameleon has faced its fair share of criticism after the prototype on display at the New York Toy Fair w…

Those really were utter shambles from start to finish, unlike the X, which does have a few fans, especially ones who've hacked it.

Comment

I think we're both in agreement, just arguing semantics. I include the concept and design as part of the start, but you're saying production is the start.
                                I do get where you're coming from. I just feel that the concept and design here is kind of redundant because I don't believe it would've been difficult to come up with something that was at the very least decent. For me, quality had to win out here for the X to be a viable success, hence why I place emphasis on the (lack of) production - the "execution", so to speak. Playmore and Tommo should've been all-in all the way - with quality of production rather than just quality of design/concept. Just having a great idea doesn't excuse crap execution of it. If anything, crap production undermines that great idea imo.

But like I said earlier, I would likely pick up one if I found it at a cheaper-than-bargain-basement price. So I digress.
                                Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 20-04-2018, 14:11.

Comment

Working...
                                X