No announcement yet.

Advice from people who have sold their collections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was unaware of the anti [MENTION=2732]J0e Musashi[/MENTION] movement around here. Can't we all be friends?

When it comes to certain members (and there are many), I just use the "that's just the way he is" attitude. I'm sure some people feel the same about me here. You can't please everyone, you never will!

It's the weekend folks, let's take out our frustrations on our real life friends and family, and not the anonymous people on the internet who matter

[MENTION=6557]boxhead[/MENTION]. How do you feel so far about the advice you've been given?

Will you be ridding yourself of a collection you don't play, or will you be a born again 40 year old virgin?
    Last edited by Zaki; 10-06-2018, 09:44.

Comment

Zaki gets it. Last warning to those stinking the thread up before I take the banhammer out its hermetically sealed display case and begin wielding it Thor style.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post

@boxhead. How do you feel so far about the advice you've been given?
        I bet he wished he didn't bother asking now after reading this thread

Comment

Originally posted by garrz32 View Post
          I bet he wished he didn't bother asking now after reading this thread

Comment

This thread is making me think hard about it tbh.

I'm not even sure what I'm hoping to achieve with my game buying. My Famitsu GBL and my Pokémon games along with my laptop with Steam installed would more than satisfy any gaming cravings I have.

Would want to find a good home for my KX-14CP1 though.

Think I'll likely go in phases, I can reduce a lot of bulk of games I've never even put in a console or ones that are actually worth something. Stuff that isn't worth putting on eBay I'll just take to PlayNation Games or something.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
              It was, but then I realised what an utterly stupid pursuit it was. Having a room full of games than I never played is probably the most pointless thing I've done. It's a complete waste of money for starters, and it isn't like anybody came around to marvel at my collection of spines that they couldn't even read like I was some gaming messiah.

It's a dangerous thing I think. I try not to collect anything nowadays as it is too easy to get overwhelmed and lose sight of what it is that you actually set out to do. Nowadays I only buy digital for the one single console that I own. I don't have anything to worry about in terms of storage and when I do buy a game, I enjoy it as much as I can; often completing it many times to get the full value out of it. There are people who buy more games in a month than I buy in a year nowadays. Spreading themselves too thinly and not enjoying games fully as I'm quite sure that like me, free time is at a premium being that we aren't children anymore, even though I do have the luxury of 18-hour sessions should I choose.

I do have a lot of trainers, but I wear all of them. I don't buy them for collection purposes and have them in display cabinets never to touch a human foot, because that is just silly.

Just my thoughts, but I bet many of you are sitting on a proverbial gold mine of useless items that you could sell on to fund a more exciting and wholesome lifestyle.
              All of your points undone with the last paragraph.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                All of your points undone with the last paragraph.
                Huh? How so? All made perfect sense to me!

Comment

Because how do you define "exciting and wholesome"?

Do this apply to listening to music? Or reading books and watching movies? Out of all the entertainment media we have, it always seems to be videogames that are seen as the unhealthy one.

Comment

He's not saying gaming isn't wholesome, or that it's unhealthy though. He's saying that hoarding a load of games that you'll never play could be. At least that's how I read it, and I can't argue with that.

Comment

For me, it's the implication that you can either have a game collection, or a wholesome and exciting life, but not both, which boils down to his thinking that everyone who has a game collection is spending more than they can afford, as I mentioned earlier.

Comment

Cross-posted with Brad. I read it as saying that it is, not that it could be.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                          He's not saying gaming isn't wholesome, or that it's unhealthy though. He's saying that hoarding a load of games that you'll never play could be. At least that's how I read it, and I can't argue with that.
                          Indeed I appreciate the sentiment of that but a lot of this entire thread reads the same way. It's like this forum has become the gaming forum that doesn't actually like games!

The bottom line is we will never consume all we own. Be it clothing, cars, watches or whatever. We all have limited time any many of our purchases will not get 'full' use. It's life. Having a few too many games on your shelf isn't a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                            Indeed I appreciate the sentiment of that but a lot of this entire thread reads the same way. It's like this forum has become the gaming forum that doesn't actually like games!
                            Fantastic post, its a real low point in an already on its arse forum. We have seen “state sponsored” trolling back up by some extremely poor modding. A once great gaming forum, now looking rather cliquey. It’s no wonder we see more and more people vote with their feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post
                              I was unaware of the anti [MENTION=2732]J0e Musashi[/MENTION] movement
                              I've sent you a PM and welcome pack.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                                Fantastic post, its a real low point in an already on its arse forum. We have seen “state sponsored” trolling back up by some extremely poor modding. A once great gaming forum, now looking rather cliquey. It’s no wonder we see more and more people vote with their feet.
                                That's harsh. I think this forum is pretty good generally, hence why I choose to spend so much time here. The modding is fine. I like that we don't have any power crazed lunatics chucking around bans and suspensions like it's going out of fashion. Generally the whole place is pretty grown up, occasional silliness like the above notwithstanding.

I do know what you mean at the same time though [MENTION=13193]nakamura[/MENTION]. Sometimes it feels like the reaction to almost anything on here is needlessly negative and it can be a bit wearing.

Comment

Working...
                                X