Has buying retro died on Bordersdown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post

Of course, things exist; X-RGBs, Framemeisters and so on, but I think that technology needs to develop a bit further than it has. I want one of those units, but with more inputs, and cheaper.
    This:

+

This:

Will solve all your problems Pretty much plug and play with RGB consoles (much easier to use than an XRGB unit).

Comment

As long as none of your retro consoles output interlaced video typically.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
        I was offered a massive collection recently, he turned down my £25k offer though.
        Think it’s intervention time, Colin ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
          As long as none of your retro consoles output interlaced video typically.
          Please explain speedy!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            Please explain speedy!
            I found the 480i/576i handling to not be ideal. Interlaced video is pretty terrible generally though. Best on a CRT though. OSSC does a wonderful job for progressive video though.

Comment

I found the 480i/576i handling to not be ideal. Interlaced video is pretty terrible generally though. Best on a CRT though. OSSC does a wonderful job for progressive video though.
              I understand what you are saying, but I've gotten so used to all the 480i stuff going through it now

Comment

Y'see this is the thing.

I just want a box made by someone who has thought about this so I don't have to think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by DaytimeDreamer View Post
                  Bordersdown has still very legit prices in terms of buying retro. Personally, I've assimilated so much stuff and I am now trying to slim it all down.

I wished I had a Garou AES though, would play that game to death instead of it sitting on a shelf just most collectors these days. It's ok, the NeoSD Pro will be launching soon so it's more or less the same thing and the money could be spent elsewhere.

This whole "retro-youtuber-wow-this-is-a-rare-gem" thing that makes a game price skyrocket is just cancer! Never liked it, never will.
                  Have to agree, youtubes gaming channels have screwed up the market prices thanks to going on about the rarity and price of various games. Clueless sheep then flood ebay buying everything up because they are told its the rarez and triggering the scalpers into action when they see the demand because youtuber gushed on about a certain title.

Back to the question in hand. For the most part i rarely buy retro games now, for the physical systems i still own i have most of everything i ever wanted for them so i can go back and play anytime. For other systems im happy to just emulate on my pc, although theres a few cases like with the nintendo classic range where i have stopped playing the pc emulators and moved onto those mini consoles instead.

Only 2 retro systems i still actively collect for is ps1 & ds, prices are reasonably sane for the ps1 titles im interested in and my ds library has most of the games i ever wanted. There only a couple of retro games now i'd even consider dropping big money on now and thats only because they are quirky food related hibaihin sfc games.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                    Think it’s intervention time, Colin ;-)
                    Oh I was only buying it to break up and sell on.

Comment

Y'see this is the thing.

I just want a box made by someone who has thought about this so I don't have to think about it.
                      A box eh? Have you considered a cathode ray tube television at all?

Comment

I've got pretty much everything I want, and the only things missing turn up less often than the Pope being Protestant. Most of the "retro" items I buy today are new homebrew for old systems such as C64 and Vectrex. So I rarely have anything old to show off...
                        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Also, a lot of the retro stuff I play has been released on modern consoles and looks miles better than the originals on an HD panel unless you buy a scan line inducer.

Comment

What are these people doing for a living that they can afford to drop a grand on vampire killer? That's what mystifies me, and there seems to be so many people who can afford to do so. I make a pretty good living, but I'd baulk at the thought of a four figure MD game. Are these 'collectors' just burying themselves in credit card debt for the sake of youtube likes?
                            This. So much this. I have absolutely no idea!

There are simply rich people, sure, but I really wonder if I have the wrong idea about what kind of paychecks people are getting.

There was one dude who had "Radiant Silvergun" for sale, in mint condition, with spine and everything. Asked for the price, couldn't afford it, and he just send it to me for free, because he has more money than he could ever spend anyway, he said. Used a nice copy of "Gunstar Heroes" for padding, plus some bubble wrap. I'll never forget that guy. He had some investment banking job, was apparently collecting sports cars and whatnot. And he died this year.

Needless to say, if I ever purge my collection, those two games would also go for free. Same with all others I was gifted throughout the years.

I was offered a massive collection recently, he turned down my £25k offer though.

And you just wondered about people who can drop 1k for a game? Aaaaaalright then.

I have an emergency reserve of a couple of hundred stashed away, in case I ever come across an affordable USA copy of "Snatcher". Want to play that one sooooo bad. But four digits? No way. Got kids to feed here.

You just miss things like getting Mega CD systems from me for £30.
                            Wait what?!
                            Wow.

Got a "Snatcher" to sell?

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
                            Ive pretty much stopped with the retro stuff (and physical for that matter) as collecting is basically a bottomless pit that is never ending..
                            Is it? I always say one of the really good things about retro collecting, compared with current gen which is, by its nature, ongoing, is that it is finite. You usually have an idea which games you want, and ...that's it! Those wish lists can be long, yes, but there is an end in sight. Unless you fall into that trap of buying every game you can find because it could be somewhat imteresting.

but I don't want any CRTs in my home.
                            Felt the same way for a long time but then I gave in and got a Bang & Olufsen MX8000, before that a Trinitron. Nothing compares, and at least it's in a dedicated room and not in the living area.
                            But those things won't last forever, so long-term I'll also have to look at some scaler solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuray View Post
                              This. So much this. I have absolutely no idea!

There are simply rich people, sure, but I really wonder if I have the wrong idea about what kind of paychecks people are
                              There was one dude who had "Radiant Silvergun" for sale, in mint condition, with spine and everything. Asked for the price, couldn't afford it, and he just send it to me for free, because he has more money than he could ever spend anyway, he said. Used a nice copy of "Gunstar Heroes" for padding, plus some bubble wrap. I'll never forget that guy. He had some investment banking job, was apparently collecting sports cars and whatnot. And he died this year.

Needless to say, if I ever purge my collection, those two games would also go for free. Same with all others I was gifted throughout the years.

And you just wondered about people who can drop 1k for a game? Aaaaaalright then.

I have an emergency reserve of a couple of hundred stashed away, in case I ever come across an affordable USA copy of "Snatcher". Want to play that one sooooo bad. But four digits? No way. Got kids to feed here.

Wait what?!
                              Wow.

Got a "Snatcher" to sell?

Is it? I always say one of the really good things about retro collecting, compared with current gen which is, by its nature, ongoing, is that it is finite. You usually have an idea which games you https://ibb.co/iJ19Ky
                              Free image hosting and sharing service, upload pictures, photo host. Offers integration solutions for uploading images to forums.

Felt the same way for a long time but then I gave in and got a Bang & Olufsen MX8000, before that a Trinitron. Nothing compares
                              Regarding the last sentence, here’s a man who obviously has never seen a 900 liner BVM ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                                Regarding the last sentence, here’s a man who obviously has never seen a 900 liner BVM ;-)
                                What he said Sony D24 might be the best CRT ever made. 1000 lines of razor sharp eye candy.

Comment

Working...
                                X