Has buying retro died on Bordersdown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post
    What he said Sony D24 might be the best CRT ever made. 1000 lines of razor sharp eye candy.
    Wrong aspect ratio though.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
      What are these people doing for a living that they can afford to drop a grand on vampire killer? That's what mystifies me, and there seems to be so many people who can afford to do so. I make a pretty good living, but I'd baulk at the thought of a four figure MD game. Are these 'collectors' just burying themselves in credit card debt for the sake of youtube likes?
      Dunno mate, but I know at least 3 20-somethings who went straight into sales after uni and after a year are on over £60,000 at least, I'm guessing a bunch of those chaps or chapesses.
      3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Jeez, I think I was in my early thirties when I reached that point, which was 15+ years in to my career. I've just had the miserable thought that I've been in my job for 28 years now. I need a beer.

Comment

Holy crap. I did 18 years at one place and thought that was too much!

Comment

Oh I've been through loads of companies mate, but always in the trade. 14 years with the current regime though.

Comment

Ridiculous. They've been in this game a long time. I remember buying a genuine AES Pulstar from them, for about £200. And a lovely boxed Famicom Twin which I think now resides with @MiG. Oh those were the days.

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
                Dunno mate, but I know at least 3 20-somethings who went straight into sales after uni and after a year are on over £60,000 at least, I'm guessing a bunch of those chaps or chapesses.
                I dream of the day I can make that sort of money...I have a fairly technical role too. Maybe I'm grossly underpaid.
                Last edited by Zaki; 29-06-2018, 21:27.

Comment

I want more mega drive games, i wish mega drive games appeared on here

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                    lovely boxed Famicom Twin which I think now resides with @MiG. Oh those were the days.
                    Still use this matched it with an Everdrive now and have been meaning to get it rgb modded if I can find somebody to do it..

I always mean to take pictures, but never get round to it then start feeling it's too late.. theres not much I still want to buy on my main systems though my collecting peaked probably around 2009 ish when I was buying loads of stuff on this forum.. I do still pick up stuff here (as Colin can attest but selling really has slowed down, I do try here but most stuff ends up on eBay in the end..

After they closed photo bucket down I logged on to see what pics were worth saving and found loads of my old sales photos from here.. man would love to see stuff like that for sale now!

Comment

Originally posted by MiG View Post
                      Still use this matched it with an Everdrive now and have been meaning to get it rgb modded if I can find somebody to do it..
                      Contact this chap http://www.oldskoolconsoles.com/
                      3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Samuray View Post
                        Is it? I always say one of the really good things about retro collecting, compared with current gen which is, by its nature, ongoing, is that it is finite. You usually have an idea which games you want, and ...that's it! Those wish lists can be long, yes, but there is an end in sight. Unless you fall into that trap of buying every game you can find because it could be somewhat imteresting.
                        That depends, if you have only one system that you want to collect for, then yeah there is an end. But usually with collecting when you are finished with one system you’ll move on to another one, then another etc and as there are always new consoles coming out then that means theres more retro consoles and games to collect over time, in ten or twenty years time ps2/ps3 will be considered retro for example. Also with prices rising as much as they do, which are only going to increase in time, you really need deep pockets for what is essentially putting a load of boxes on a shelf to collect dust. Emulation/everdrives or remastered versions on current systems are way more convenient, more reliable, much cheaper and easier to replace if something does go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                          Wrong aspect ratio though.
                          Think I could live with it!

Never actually seen one in the flesh; probably never will either, considering how difficult / expensive they are becoming.

Comment

There are very few posters on here now compared to a few years ago, so that means fewer potential buyers.

Comment

Is there an easier way of adding photos to posts so that they appear as photos rather than links?

I go though the faff of uploading them from my phone to ibb.co and it then generates the correct bbcode to copy and paste here for various size pics or thumbnails.

I found that way, it worked so I continue to use it, but there’s an easier way right?

Mind you, I’m typing this using Tapatalk (not used it much), and noticed it has a button to insert a photo, so here goes...

Ooh, that uploads the photo to tapatalk-cdn.com and pops the code in. Would still like to be educated for an easier way when using a regular browser though.

Comment

Working...
                              X