No announcement yet.

General Emulation Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing. Makes me wonder what else Nintendo could shove into a fancy box and get out for under 100 quid. Whatever it would be, I'd probably buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      Amazing. Makes me wonder what else Nintendo could shove into a fancy box and get out for under 100 quid. Whatever it would be, I'd probably buy one.
      Give it a year they will probably be announcing PS4 games running on it lol

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
        how they managed it i do not know but it seems to run shockingly well considering what it's running on.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mAfhwrdiiQ
        I guess it's just raw dirty emulation. I don't think they'll get it working without obvious issues. But it does show that the chipset inside the Mini is more powerful than you'd imagine. It might be a copy of a Raspberry Pi. I would think it's that sort of spec.

Amazing.
        It's leftover Wii U chipsets. Someone will get Mario Kart 8 running on it.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 04-09-2018, 16:11.

Comment

Not emulation as such but fans are making a fan game remake of Sonic Chaos done in the style of Sonic Mania. A demo is out now:

Comment

Well that looks pretty damn good, I really liked Chaos on the GameGear.

Comment

I've never had a problem with using emulators to play ROMs of old games that I never owned. However, I've never really played pirated versions of modern games. I did get my PS1 chipped back in the day and bought a few copied games but then I realised that second hand games are so cheap if you wait a few years after release that I just went down that route.

I think the entitlement theory is interesting but it works both ways. Obviously, two wrongs don't make a right but when you look at the tax avoidance practices of a lot of big companies it is hard to feel sorry for them. I'm not talking about gaming specifically but media in general. If I buy Star Wars on BluRay in the UK then someone at Disney is earning an income from that. Do they pay income tax to the Inland Revenue like I have to each month? No, they do not. They clearly feel entitled to become rich without putting back what they should or could. Why can't I feel entitled to get a torrent of their films and watch them for free?

There's clearly levels of this stuff. If I download a pirated version of a song released by some struggling musician then that makes me a bit of a d*ck. Doing it to Kanye West is a different matter.

Ultimately I always think any justification of piracy always feels like people trying to justify theft. However, I do it myself with none gaming media so I'm a fine one to talk

I'm not sure where I'm going with this except to say that I'm waiting for Brad to reveal that he works for the FBI and this thread has been a massive sting operation.

Comment

I just pirated Witcher III GOTY edition. I'm glad I did because I gave up after five hours or so of the first area. I'd have been very annoyed at paying any amount of money.

Comment

On the flip-side me and my wife just subscribed to our nearest Pathe cinema. For €28 per month we can go and watch anything as many times as we want (including 3D and IMAX, the regular non-3D sub costs just €20). Anything interesting we happen to miss at the cinema can simply be torrented later.

Actually anything I want to keep can be torrented as well. I've already handed over my box office money, so I reckon it's fine.

Comment

[MENTION=7049]BigDeadFreak[/MENTION] That’s utter rubbish. Disney have UK offices, employ UK people (who, yes, pay taxes) and when you buy a Blu-Ray not just one person is paid but a huge number, including the people working for the retailer. They idea that they all feel entitled to becoming rich rather than just trying to survive and earn a living is shortsighted, incorrect and insulting to a large number of people who work to get something onto a shelf. Same with Kanye by the way. You think he is the only person it takes to get a release out? If you took even a fraction of the time it took you to write that to consider it, you’d have realised how badly flawed your thinking is.

Comment

And just because Amazon, Facebook, Google and the like use creative accounting practices to dodge paying their fair share of tax in the UK, it doesn't mean all large multinational corporations do. Disney has bricks and mortar stores in the UK. Facebook et al. are online entities. Not the same thing.

Comment

Yep. And even on the production of the movies alone, Star Wars employs a huge number of hard working people in the UK. And if they don’t do well for any reason, it’s not the rich people who take a pay cut. The budgets get slashed from the bottom up and normal working people like set designers, electricians, model makers, vfx people and so on all get hit. So this was a poor example all round.

Comment

It sounds like they need to sort their employee welfare out before tackling piracy. I've always thought actors and directors and everyone else at the top gets paid waaaaay too much. It's the same with footballers, to a degree.

I get that pirating some films isn't going to put Tom Cruise out on his arse, but it really should. If the studios all collapse then his career is finished.

Comment

@BigDeadFreak That’s utter rubbish. Disney have UK offices, employ UK people (who, yes, pay taxes) and when you buy a Blu-Ray not just one person is paid but a huge number, including the people working for the retailer. They idea that they all feel entitled to becoming rich rather than just trying to survive and earn a living is shortsighted, incorrect and insulting to a large number of people who work to get something onto a shelf. Same with Kanye by the way. You think he is the only person it takes to get a release out? If you took even a fraction of the time it took you to write that to consider it, you’d have realised how badly flawed your thinking is.
                            Alright Dogg Thang, don't get your moon cup in a twist. I was making the point that there are plenty of people in the world who make an insane amount of money through the entertainment industry and do as much as possible to pay as little tax as they can get away with. I'm obviously not talking about the person who cleans the toilets at Disney HQ, I'm sure they make sure every penny of her tax is paid. I'm talking about the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Gary Barlow, Lewis Hamilton, et al who make fortunes and still feel necessary to dodge their tax.

Should ordinary people really feel bad about streaming football or downloading a few songs when there's rape crisis centres getting closed due to lack of public funding? To be honest, the type of person who gets paid £200,000 per week for kicking a football around who then looks at the world and sees the poverty and starvation all around them and thinks 'the best way for me to use my influence is to find loopholes in the tax system so that I can buy more bling' is a cretin of the lowest order.

Of course big companies pay tax but they pay as little as possible. When you look at how much tax gets evaded and avoided by the rich and powerful it's mind blowing. Thinking of what that money could do and how many lives it could save is pretty depressing. In that context, arguing about whether downloading a ROM of an 80s arcade game is theft is a bit like rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic.

Comment

Sounded like you understood it in the first paragraph and then descended into wilful ignorance in the second. Should anyone feel bad about a rape crisis centre when there is genocide being carried out in parts of the world? It’s not a contest. That’s not how this works. And again you focus on a footballer and miss the people cleaning up the pitch, working behind the cameras, ironing shorts, driving coaches and the huge numbers of other people just trying to make a half decent living. They all pay tax by the way.

Comment

Man, I can only imagine the horrors football stadium toilet cleaners face post-match

Comment

Working...
                                X