Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the definitive 16-bit home version of Street Fighter II?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
    Plus, there's the fact that Turbo > CE if for the balancing alone.
    I wonder how many people here have actually played the MD version to any great length? Most of us should know that its SCE features both Turbo and CE incarnations on the same cart. Another advantage over the SNES version.

Comment

We shouldn't really be bringing optional peripherals into the argument. Although if you like, we can.
      The 6-button MD pad is not an optional peripheral but a necessary one. Also ASCII did some nice six button sticks for the MD. And the MD version is the only one that has gameplay that mimics closely (ie the inclusion of CPS1 chains) the arcade version which many people here seem to gloss over.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
        The 6-button MD pad is not an optional peripheral but a necessary one. Also ASCII did some nice six button sticks for the MD. And the MD version is the only one that has gameplay that mimics closely (ie the inclusion of CPS1 chains) the arcade version which many people here seem to gloss over.
        I wouldnt waste your time. None of the Snes fans would have played the MD version for any amount of time. Not only are the combos closer so is the music too and the Arcade version doesn't have 4 face buttons, but six which Sega with its Arcade heritage understood and made sure the MD six button pad had Six and also the amazing Power Arcade stick II; It's like rather using the PS pad to the Saturn pad for Vs Fighters it makes no sense for Capcom games and 4 face buttons and a 4 point Dpad

Comment

Kind of depends though, a controller having 6 buttons has o correlation to the arcade using 6 buttons as a method of control so it's by the by unless you switch to comparing Turbo and CE when both are played via an arcade stick peripheral. The Saturn was a decent side step but partially because it side stepped the issue by offering both options on one controller.

Comment

I'd say the version you own is the best version.

Comment

Imagine the quandary of someone looking at CE and Turbo on their shelf then

Comment

I wonder how many people here have actually played the MD version to any great length? Most of us should know that its SCE features both Turbo and CE incarnations on the same cart. Another advantage over the SNES version.
                The SNES version had both as well.

The 6-button MD pad is not an optional peripheral but a necessary one.
                Yep, it was a necessary additional expenditure. SNES Advantage or similar was nice, but not necessary. The game worked just fine with your existing controllers instead of having to go out and buy a 6-button pad for the one game.
                Last edited by dataDave; 22-08-2018, 13:17.

Comment

As an aside I heard that a bunch of contestants were using pads at Evo this year. I thought it would always be sticks

Comment

My local youth club got the Megadrive II pack that came with two 6-button pads and the game. It was a bit more of a success than the SNES Superscope pack they also had...

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      As an aside I heard that a bunch of contestants were using pads at Evo this year. I thought it would always be sticks
                      I guess that’s indicative of the rising popularity of Fightcade. I always wonder how players can play fighting games competitively on anything other than a stick but there you go. Sure, pads are fine for casual games against low level opponents but if I’m playing against moderate competition then I need a stick.

Comment

There has always been a pad presence at Evo. Have any ever reached higher than top 64?

Comment

Anyway, for what it's worth I bought the six-button pad for SSF2 (MD) as it was so painful trying to track down a PAL SNES copy, before anyone starts throwing any more childish fanboy arguments around.

It's was a good pad, still is, but I still prefer the SNES controller.

Comment

Having owned every SNES version and played a few MD versions, my favourite by far was Street Fighter II Turbo on the SNES. And I choose the SNES controller over the MD controller every time.

Comment

I like the Hori pad I own for the PC Engine – looks like a Super Famicom pad, with the same d-pad, but all six buttons are on the face of the controller. Works very well with Street Fighter II CE.

Comment

There has always been a pad presence at Evo. Have any ever reached higher than top 64?
                                Someone won SF4 in 2014 with a pad apparently :-o

I had no idea. Anyway, seems they've been used loads for ages and people are doing well with them all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X