No announcement yet.

Retro|Spective 083: Final Fight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Fight CD is a great port. The soundtrack is tremendous albeit very much of the era. Would have been great for peeps without the Mega-CD to have received a cart release.
    Can’t say I was to fussed for the sequels though. Although the Speccy homebrew version of Mighty Final Fight is worth a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      The original is pretty much the definitive game of this genre in my view,
      This can't be overstated. Whilst it wasn't the first, and there were similar titles like Double Dragon, I think Final Fight pretty much codifies this genre in the same way SFII does for the beat-em up genre.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
        . Although the Speccy homebrew version of Mighty Final Fight is worth a look.
        That really is awesome.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        I think Final Fight pretty much codifies this genre in the same way SFII does for the beat-em up genre.
        It set a new benchmark and inspired other developers. There's something truly brilliant about the overall design of Final Fight that hasn't been matched. I like other beat 'em ups like the SOR series and Vendetta, but Final Fight feels a bit more epic and special.

Of course, Capcom should have made a sequel for the CPS2 hardware. It could have added a lot more depth to the machanics and taken things to another level overall. But instead we got the pretty dull SNES sequel that further highlighted how great the first game is.

Comment

Clue for 084 - Witness the majesty and beauty of the Peregrine Falcon

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
            Final Fight CD is a great port.
            I think its the best version of the game (such a shame SEGA didn't port Ghouls N Ghouls and Strider to the Mega CD using the same engine)
            That said I always thought Double Dragon and Golden Axe were much better in the Arcades.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              I had this poster on my wall for yeeeears. I think it was in Mean Machines along with some Darius boxart.
              That art marks one of the few times SEGA America used Japanese box art instead of the crap it used to draw up in the 16-bit era. Very surprised when my USA Final Fight CD had that lovely cover art, just a same it was that crap carboard box cover used on early SEGA CD games

Comment

Final Fight/Guy SFC is one of THE go-to games for when I want some chill nostalgia. I've never 1cced it (I never claim to be amazing) but I love EVERYTHING about it. The vibe especially, it's like The Warriors, it's iconic. I like the SFC version better than the arcade ffs! In all its one player, cut-down glory. It's just *perfect*. Pour moi (for me, in French).

Love how it feels a bit like a saggier, older, maybe more middle aged version of the frenetic arcade vers., it can't push as many enemies about on screen (it needs to lift weights!) and it can't 'walk as far' ie. it's got less levels than the original because it can't go the distance.

It's essentially a saggy, sagging sack of old slack sacs. But one of my fave games of all.

And THAT box. I think the non-guy SFC version of the game has one of the most beautiful box arts I've ever seen, just reeks pizazz.

Comment

BTW:

HAGGAR UBER ALLES

UBER ALLES.

Comment

I enjoyed Streetwise when I played it to completion in early 2007. I always seem to get flames for saying that but what ho, one must go with the oregano flow.

But, speaking in a more adult manner, it is clearly in no way a Final Fight game. Not in a million years. I'd merely say I saw it for what it was and rather quite enjoyed it, at least back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                      I think its the best version of the game
                      The Sharp X68000 port says hello!

But yeah, for a lot of people in the west back in the day Final Fight CD would’ve been the closest thing to having the coin-op in their home as MAME wasn’t a thing in 1993 and PCBs/SuperGuns weren’t cheap.
                      Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 28-03-2019, 09:30.

Comment

I find Final Fight is a little... cheap.
                        You can't escape some attacks (Sodom's sword charge) and you just can't manage the crowds as well as SoR, but maybe SoR is a tad too easy?
                        Do your homework.

Sodom’s charge attacks definitely can be negated.

Comment

Is it a port, or was it developed on the Sharp?

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                            Do your homework.
                            Ha ha ha, OK, Mum.

Can I watch Terrahawks afterwards, please?

Comment

Ha ha ha, OK, Mum.

Can I watch Terrahawks afterwards, please?
                              Only if you’re absolutely on your best behaviour, Son.

Comment

Is it a port, or was it developed on the Sharp?

Good question.

It has long been believed that Capcom used the X68000 to develop CPS-1 and CPS-2 games but I don’t know that they ever officially confirmed this. They might have gone as far as saying that the X68000 was the closest thing you could get to CPS tech.

Comment

Working...
                                X