Atari Unleashes Their Jaguar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesy View Post
    To be fair to it had a good port of Doom for the time which was a lot cheaper than buying a pc to run it similarly. Luckily for me we had a pc in the house for work which was in turn used for games relentlessly haha.
    You could also get it for the SNES for much cheaper (assuming you already owned one) or, if you were really that desperate, 32X. At least the 32X had a smattering of other good games as well.

Comment

Left over Sinclair technology badly reanimated by a knackered Atari.

Comment

At last, somebody who knows what they are talking about..........well done, vanpeebles have a recommend!

Last edited by CAPCOM; 03-03-2020, 19:08.

Comment

I love this Capcom dude. He reminds me of a Biffo character.

Comment

Elite...#JoinTheElite...join the dots

He even spells his name in capitals. Gotta respect the Fanitsu he projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
              Cartridges when its contemporaries had CD drives.:-)
              It was out before the PS1 and Saturn so no, the only console at the time of its release using optical was the 3DO and even then that only launched a month before the Jaguar.
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Do the PC Engine CD and Mega CD only count as add ons?

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                  It was out before the PS1 and Saturn so no, the only console at the time of its release using optical was the 3DO and even then that only launched a month before the Jaguar.
                  So it’s only contemporary had a cd drive. That was clearly the way things were going!

Comment

The CD-i and CDTV came out long before the Jaguar

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                      Name them. I thought the Jaguar was utter ****e!
                      I thought the Jaguar was a bit of a joke before I finally got my hands on an import machine.

Good games: AvP; Doom; Tempest 2000; Iron Soldier; Super Burnout. Brutal Sports Football & Power Drive Rally are also pretty decent.

Only a few games give you a good idea of how capable the hardware was, with most games being upgraded 16-bit titles or dodgy 3D games that don't use the hardware properly.

When I finally played Jaguar Doom, it really impressed me. It's a very good port -- and someone recently created a remix version with music. AvP looks really good -- and delivers an effective sense of menace as you traverse the space ship. Iron Soldier puts you in the role of mech that must destroy a military enemy, with the destructible environment being a nice touch. Super Burnout is a nice showcase of the machine's sprite pushing capabilities -- it runs ultra fast and looks reasonably attractive.

Overall though, I can see why the Jaguar failed. It had too many issues going against it. There was a sense of negativity that turned gamers of the machine. That was deserved to a large degree, because Atari did a pretty bad job. But I can appreciate why some people have a soft spot for a machine that can perform well when a dev overcomes the bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                        So it’s only contemporary had a cd drive. That was clearly the way things were going!
                        I would argue it was angling itself alongside the Mega Drive and SNES which... didn't have optical drives. It would be another year before PS1 launched and went popular enough for CDs to be the way forward (except for Nintendo!).

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                        True, I was forgetting those, but let's face it given the price of both of them and the 3DO, did you know anyone with one at the time? the only people I knew at that moment buying games on CD were PC owners.
                        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Even the speccy had games on cd.

Comment

True, I was forgetting those, but let's face it given the price of both of them and the 3DO, did you know anyone with one at the time? the only people I knew at that moment buying games on CD were PC owners.
                            To be honest I didn't really know people with a CD player at that time. I remember when I got the Mega CD on Import and my local Woolworths didn't even stock music CD's at that time LOL. I also remember my English Teacther taking a little offence when he was proudly showing off his new PC with CD Drive playing Animails and I said I have a CD games system for ages LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                              What about the FM Towns Marty and Amiga CD32, they were also released before the Jaguar hit? I suppose the argument could be made they were 'regional' consoles but they had CD-ROM drives from the get-go, almost certainly in the case of the former.

Comment

For those interested, an FPGA Mister Core for the Jaguar is nearing completion.

I remember driving 50 miles to Wimborne Road in Bournemouth & paying £75 for Tempest 2000 for my rgb scart model in the nineties. I played Tempest a lot but nothing else really excited me enough to keep the system.

I'm looking forward to trying both Doom and AVP on the old DE10 Nano, never owned them.

Comment

Working...
                                X