Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The All things MiSTer thread (Now Consolised)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
    After a delay my MiSTer is set to ship on Monday. Really looking forward to it arriving. The Toaplan core looks so promising.
    I've already got the Zero Wing and Truxton arcade core on mine.
    Truxton is still hard AF! LOL

Comment

I really would like a Sony PSX SNAC controller adapter... Not even sure if it's possible.

I would love to plug in some of the more obscure PSX controllers like my Beatmania or Guitar Freaks controller into my MiSTer.

Comment

Originally posted by phillai View Post
        I really would like a Sony PSX SNAC controller adapter... Not even sure if it's possible.

I would love to plug in some of the more obscure PSX controllers like my Beatmania or Guitar Freaks controller into my MiSTer.
        An USB adapter for Playstation 1 and 2 controllers, featuring low latency, multitap and memory card support.

That's probably the best bet right now. I was going to grab one finally, but they're already out of stock after just a couple of weeks. That's probably a given with the rate that this core is coming along.

Comment

How much is all this kit running right now? And have they properly cracked Saturn yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            How much is all this kit running right now? And have they properly cracked Saturn yet?
            128MB SDRAM - £50
            IO Board - £40
            USB Hub - £32
            MT-32 Pi Hat - £30
            DE10 Nano - £177
            PSU - £20

Total : £329

That lets you play everything the system supports in the best way possible.

You can skip the RAM and still play lots of stuff
            You can skip the USB hub and have more wires everywhere
            You can skip the MT32 Pi and not have MT32 audio for PC and Amiga games
            You might be able to skip the IO board if you only use HDMI output but I'm not sure on that

Saturn core is incomplete

Comment

The Saturn is going to take a little longer. The PSX core is updated daily in massive strides. It should be officially stable within a couple of months. Everything I’ve tried with it so far plays utterly flawlessly.

I skipped the MT32 Pi Hat. I’m not at all bothered going to that length for Amiga and PC audio, at least not yet.

The 128MB RAM module is pretty essential unless you want to compromise over which NeoGeo games can be played, or any potential future cores (such as CPS-III, Saturn, etc.).

Comment

I’m holding off from pumping any serious time into the PSX core until I can play downstairs on a new OLED with some serious audio heft. I’m about to start with a Denon amp and gradually add KEFs to the solution. Then it’s Ridge/Metal Gear time.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                  I’m holding off from pumping any serious time into the PSX core until I can play downstairs on a new OLED with some serious audio heft. I’m about to start with a Denon amp and gradually add KEFs to the solution. Then it’s Ridge/Metal Gear time.
                  Are you using the nightlies? I've not tried it yet but might be a good alternative for certain 2D shooters that don't have arcade cores yet I'm thinking.
                  3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
                    Are you using the nightlies? I've not tried it yet but might be a good alternative for certain 2D shooters that don't have arcade cores yet I'm thinking.
                    Yeah. The nightlies. The very latest ones rely on the unstable MiSTer nightly to run also. It might actually have already been updated, the speed at which all of this is moving.

Comment

I skipped the MT32 Pi Hat. I’m not at all bothered going to that length for Amiga and PC audio, at least not yet.
                      Only really makes sense if you play the Amiga and PC point and click adventures I guess. Oh, and the Sharp X68000

Comment

I received my MiSTer setup the other day but being on nights I’ve not had much time to muck around with it. It’s a surprisingly small box and with the heat sink and fan combo I chose it’s very quiet too. The work put into the development of this and especially the cores is seriously impressive. Games seem to be spot on although I’ve yet to try any computer cores I’m sure they’ll be just as accurate. Strange to think this could replace most of the consoles in my retro room.
                        Once I get the time I’ll grab a VGA cable and hook this up to my SD plasma for some tate action. I can see a 42” OLED TV purchase in the future for the retro room to make the most of this.

Comment

For months, I've been using my MiSTer Drive without the OLED turned on!

It makes it more presentable showing off all the cores and arcade games.

Comment

Quite surprised you say that being the audio snob that you are usually! Hehe

I snagged a complete MT32 Pi Hat complete last night from this guy...

I myself was not that bothered or interested in midi sound as I don't play play the cores that use them until I discovered the Sharp X68000 core.
                            The midi sounds from this core especially the Nemesis '90 Kai game is truly amazing!
                            Last edited by phillai; 22-02-2022, 23:23.

Comment

Is there a way of playing the X68000 core on a pvm? Im guessing it might be a resolution issue. Only seems to work on my lcd via hdmi.

I was playing arcade Midnight Resistance on it yesterday, awesome! Be great to get a rotary stick for this and Heavy Barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by Gradius View Post
                                Is there a way of playing the X68000 core on a pvm? Im guessing it might be a resolution issue. Only seems to work on my lcd via hdmi.

I was playing arcade Midnight Resistance on it yesterday, awesome! Be great to get a rotary stick for this and Heavy Barrel.
                                Pretty sure on one of the chaps I follow on YouTube who does the great comparisons he confirms it doesn't work on a standard CRT. I'd guess if you have a multi sync CRT it should work since the X68000 used a multi sync CRT.
                                3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Working...
                                X