Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The All things MiSTer thread (Now Consolised)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

31khz typically tho some games let you pick 15khz in the options menu. No good if you can't see anything to get there!

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
      31khz typically tho some games let you pick 15khz in the options menu. No good if you can't see anything to get there!
      I’m using 2 screens simultaneously so I could work around this possibly.

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
        Pretty sure on one of the chaps I follow on YouTube who does the great comparisons he confirms it doesn't work on a standard CRT. I'd guess if you have a multi sync CRT it should work since the X68000 used a multi sync CRT.
        I have a multisync CRT

Comment

Well, the DE-10 Nano won’t arrive until July(!), but I’ve got most of the rest of the bits ready ahead of time.

I had a SanDisk 64GB Micro SD card spare, so installed Mr Fusion on it, ready to install the firmware once everything’s constructed.

However, storing the game ROMs – should I stick those on the same SD card, or use a different solution for storing those? A USB stick, another SD card, something else? My main concern is that an SD card might not last in the long term, as I’ve had more than a few of them self-destruct over the years…

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
            Well, the DE-10 Nano won’t arrive until July(!), but I’ve got most of the rest of the bits ready ahead of time.

I had a SanDisk 64GB Micro SD card spare, so installed Mr Fusion on it, ready to install the firmware once everything’s constructed.

However, storing the game ROMs – should I stick those on the same SD card, or use a different solution for storing those? A USB stick, another SD card, something else? My main concern is that an SD card might not last in the long term, as I’ve had more than a few of them self-destruct over the years…
            Any storage in all honesty could break.
            I personally have gone for the largest sized Micro SD card.
            Go for reputable brands with fast write speeds and you should be fine.
            I myself, I'm using a Samsung EVO Select 512GB and I've got another one of these in preparation for my second MiSTer build.

Comment

A good solution is to back up the SD card image somewhere, once you're happy with it. Then if the card breaks, you lose your saves but most of your stuff is safe.

Comment

SD cards are so cheap that I don’t even reuse them in my camera. I just treat them like a 35mm film archive and buy a new one. I back the photos up as well of course.

I keep all my mister games on the same sd card.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  A good solution is to back up the SD card image somewhere, once you're happy with it. Then if the card breaks, you lose your saves but most of your stuff is safe.
                  There are some scripts for Google/Apple cloud saving. I’ve not tried setting mine up yet.

If my card breaks I’ll just set up a new one from scratch. I’ve not had to remove this one since the initial installation and ROMz dump. The odd spot of organisation is done with my PC via. FTP.

Comment

If you don't mind me asking, did you order from Digi-Key?

You will incur a customs fee of about £50 if you order directly from Terasic in Taiwan but you should get it in a matter of weeks rather than months from what I have read. I placed an order just the other day myself. Better late than never eh?
                    Last edited by speedlolita; 19-04-2022, 21:21.

Comment

32X....

SUPPORT THE CHANNEL : http://www.patreon.com/VideoGameEsotericaSupport SRG320: https://www.patreon.com/srg320Sometimes things surprise you...like getting a m...

Comment

Received a notification that my de-10 nano shipped, I ordered on the 14th with Terasic.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                          If you don't mind me asking, did you order from Digi-Key?

You will incur a customs fee of about £50 if you order directly from Terasic in Taiwan but you should get it in a matter of weeks rather than months from what I have read. I placed an order just the other day myself. Better late than never eh?
                          Mouser. I can wait if the alternative is additional expense at this time, unfortunately. Much as I’d like to get my MiSter system built.

Comment

Got my DE-10 Nano on Monday. I only just went ahead and set up the software last night. Not got any addons currently besides an OTG to female USB A cable but I've managed to get PCE, Mega Drive and some arcade cores going. So far I am well impressed, the system itself feels very responsive and the games I have tried have felt responsive too. I can definitely see why there is a movement behind this. Wasn't fussy about using my Qanba Obsidian either. Looking forward to playing a lot more when I have a free day or two.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                              So far I am well impressed, the system itself feels very responsive and the games I have tried have felt responsive too. I can definitely see why there is a movement behind this.
                              If it's not responsive in the same way that real hardware is responsive then there are improvements to be made in your chain.

I've ran into a really nice surprise today. We decided to test out the MiSTer on our new speakers for a bit, but then at the same time also learned that the Denon will handle vsync_adjust=2 and pass it to the otherwise non-compatible TV! Even the generally fussy cores such as the NeoGeo work perfectly.

The regular vertical and horizontal scanlines look great when doubled up, like some kind of massive LCD handheld.

It looks so lush at regular viewing distance, and I can't wait for the OLED because it'll probably end up looking better than the PVM.

TV not mounted because new one incoming. I'd love this one upstairs as it only packs 21ms of latency in game mode (Samsung JU7500), but it's going to be no use for the MiSTer without this receiver.

Comment

Well I already said it feels responsive.

Despite playing on my LCD (Sony XF90) which isn't the fastest panel and with a USB arcade stick I'm not noticing any kind of latency. Have left it outputting the default 720p.

Right now the lack of SDRAM feels like my biggest limitation. Probably going to order that and more once my final pay finally rolls in.

That update_all script is a nice one huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X