Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The All things MiSTer thread (Now Consolised)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's probably time I put together a MiSTer setup.

Is it best to just order the DE10-Nano direct from Terasic, then buy everything else from a site like misterfpga? There's nothing else I should be looking at importing at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
      I think it's probably time I put together a MiSTer setup.

Is it best to just order the DE10-Nano direct from Terasic, then buy everything else from a site like misterfpga? There's nothing else I should be looking at importing at the same time?
      That’s correct.

Comment

No longer having a MiSTer I wonder how the fairly newly implemented VRR works - anyone tried to get correct refresh rates for Neo Geo or SNES (since they are non-standard 60hz) on something like one of the new LG TVs?
        3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

All I know is my PC monitor (Dell S2721DGF) supports the 75Hz of the Wonderswan core.

Looks like my TV (Sony XF90) isn't having any issues either. Quickly gave Neo Geo, SNES, GBA, SFII CE and MD a try and no issues at all.
          Last edited by speedlolita; 15-08-2022, 18:42.

Comment

Having decided to keep my MiSTer I want to put it in a decent case. Anyone seen anything nice recently? Something super solid aluminium block style or a retro console look would be good. Ta!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
              Having decided to keep my MiSTer I want to put it in a decent case. Anyone seen anything nice recently? Something super solid aluminium block style or a retro console look would be good. Ta!
              New Arrivial! IQUNIX ZX-1 Mini-ITX Case is now available in new theme colorways. Best pc cases we offer then look no further as IQUNIX offers water cooling and air cooling versions with the best aluminum material. Grab one of our new mechanical keyboards available at IQUNIX store.

These are nice looking but that price isn't! ��

Comment

At the other end of the spectrum I've seen people mount them in these: ��

or there's this Star Wars style case thats a perfect fit for the DE10:

This Computers item by RnSKSkunkwerks has 353 favorites from Etsy shoppers. Ships from United States. Listed on 21 Dec, 2023
                Last edited by paulus; 18-10-2022, 13:44.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                  From Mouser:
                  Nano DE10

From misterfpga.co.uk:
                  PSU
                  128MB SDRAM module
                  USB hub
                  £10 copper heatsink (don't compromise over a tenner)
                  £7 WiFi dongle (to save a cable popping out the front)

Storage:
                  A MicroSD card from a reputable brand. 128GB will fit all of the console EverDrive packs, all the arcade cores, and space to spare for 30 or so PSX disc images.

Optional:
                  I/O board w/ noctua fan. You don't need this for non-CRT video out, but you'll maybe miss the buttons, the fan mount, and the optical audio out - misterfpga does both analogue and digital I/O boards. Personally I'd opt for the former as you never know, you might end up with a sweet PVM by chance at some point.
                  Top and bottom perspex plates. The full case also works if you're concerned about dust and never use compressed air to clean your kit.

Recommended controllers:
                  8BitDo M30 2.4GHz (wireless, can also be connected with USB)
                  RetroBit Saturn controller (wired)

You won't regret it. It's quite easily the single best gaming purchase I've ever made and I can see it sticking with me for the rest of my life.

My M30s are both downstairs atm for 3P SoR4, so I'm currently using the wired RetroBit Saturn controller. Usually, I only have cables popping out the back of it. See the top of the page.
                  Very comprehensive [MENTION=1482]dataDave[/MENTION]. Thanks for this.

Few questions: What do you mean by Everdrive packs?

Also, how do you handle different controller options for MiSTer? Unless I'm mistaken, I've seen options to fit different controller ports if one wanted to go the OEM controller route? Are you just relying on USB controllers??

Comment

Everdrive packs = comprehensive ROM packs for the cartridge-based systems which you can load onto your MiSTer’s microSD card (or other storage options).

There are SNAC adapters available like this available to plug your original system controllers into the MiSTer: https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mis...n-psx-adapter/

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
                      Everdrive packs = comprehensive ROM packs for the cartridge-based systems which you can load onto your MiSTer’s microSD card (or other storage options).

There are SNAC adapters available like this available to plug your original system controllers into the MiSTer: https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mis...n-psx-adapter/
                      Appreciate the reply. Thanks!

The Everdrive packs would essentially be the ROMs you've collected, then? Or they would be already be setup a certain way? (Apologies for the n00bishness, it just wasn't a term I'd ever heard of before).

Comment

Little curious myself. Are these the SmokeMonster packs? I typically go for no-intro/redump and then pick out what I want to put onto devices.

Comment

I just go on the torrent sites and look for the EverDrive packs, or at least I did. They’re already organised and compressed, so trying to organise things myself would take much longer.

I believe archive.org hosts zipped packs with everything inside these days. I’d go that route now as that’s what everyone else seems to be doing.

As I’ve said many times, within the folder structure I make a ‘0 Favourites’ folder for games which I’d definitely want to own carts for. I rarely browse the other folders unless I hear about a particular curio.

Comment

I’ll take some print screens of my folder structure later. I honestly can’t remember if they’re the SmokeMonster packs or no-intro or whatever. I think I remember trying a SmokeMonster pack but the download seemed incomplete or something like that.

Comment

As I recall SmokeMonster would prioritise US versions of games and omit other regions unless there was no US version etc amongst other things. Guy has left the scene though so those packs are likely "outdated" now either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                                Appreciate the reply. Thanks!

The Everdrive packs would essentially be the ROMs you've collected, then? Or they would be already be setup a certain way? (Apologies for the n00bishness, it just wasn't a term I'd ever heard of before).
                                Pre-organised folders of complete ROM libraries ready for extraction to an SD which would usually go into an EverDrive. Drag&drop, one’n’done, ECT.

There are of course occasional new translations and hacks which you can copy over on an individual basis using FTP if you never want to remove the SD. That’s also a doddle to set up and we can go over that when you get to it.

Periodically the ROM packs get updated. I think once every four years or so I might just nuke my SD and bulk update. It only takes a couple of hours to do everything.
                                Last edited by dataDave; 05-03-2023, 16:28.

Comment

Working...
                                X