No announcement yet.

Retro|Spective 199: The Final Tour of PlayStation 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember being very impressed by that Transformers game. It looked so clean and clear for a PS2 game. And it was good fun too.

Comment

Penultimate Day for the PS2:

War of the Monsters
      Made by Incognito, this 3D brawler aimed to recreate the kaiju antics of films with monsters battling in cityscapes. It supported up to four players at once with players managing both their health and stamina as they aimed to take down their opponents using attacks and grabbing objects to use as weapons. The game reviewed reasonably well but didn't get the sales Sony wanted.

Wild Wild Racing
      An offroad racer from Rage. The game was one of the earliest on the PS2, made in little over a year and for a low budget, it scored middling reviews which is probably a good result given the rapid turnaround of the game.

The X-Files: Resist or Serve

Having released a well received game the prior generation, this new entry was actually the third and is canon to the show - taking place during Season 07. It covers the stories of three additional episodes and whilst well received as a piece of X-Files it received some criticism for the clunkiness of the gameplay itself.

Were any of these overlooked gems, is the truth out there?

Comment

And here we are, the final titles for this thread:

X-Treme Express
        Released specifically in Japan, Australia and the UK only, this racer was unique due to its focus on trains. On higher difficulties players have to manage their speed against the G-Force pressure against the trains on bends in order not to derail. The game featured 10 tracks and over 80 trains.

Yanya Caballista: City Skater
        Another skateboarding game of the era, this one came bundled with a fingerboard that players used to work through five stages of tricks

How does PS2 stack up in terms of the games still bound to its hardware?
        Has its library been plucked for everything of worth?

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          X-Treme Express
          Released specifically in Japan, Australia and the UK only, this racer was unique due to its focus on trains. On higher difficulties players have to manage their speed against the G-Force pressure against the trains on bends in order not to derail. The game featured 10 tracks and over 80 trains.
          Wow, this came out in the UK? I had no idea. I knew about it, but kinda surprised as this bears all the hallmarks of a game that never leaves Japan.

Comment

I got it the other day (for a quid I think). It was a wacky budget release back in the day.

Comment

Working...
            X