TikToker shows the origins of classic videogame soundtracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TikToker shows the origins of classic videogame soundtracks

This has been making waves over the last couple of days - not sure if people have seen it. A guy on TikTok has done a great job of showing the music that seems to be the inspiration for many well known videogame soundtracks from the 80s and 90s.

Many of these will be well known to people on here, I'm sure, but they were news to me.

I'm gonna post them reposted on Twitter by somebody so that they embed on here nicely - the first video covers a range of games, the second a few different tracks from Sonic specifically:

And one more video can be found here - can't see this one on Twitter so you'll have to follow the link to TikTok:

^And in the video above, you do get to see which game has been low key rickrolling players since 1995...

Pretty cool, I thought.
    Last edited by wakka; 03-03-2022, 11:25.

Some I've definitely heard before, but others I've also not. Some also a bit more tenuous than others, but all still very interesting.

It's not in the original, but this reworking of Scars of Time has an even-more-blatant lifting from Kashmir.

Had not heard that Cheap Trick one and that is very clearly Ken's theme. Have shared this before but Guile's theme is another that has very clear outside influence. Any excuse to post this tbh, as it's bloody great.

Comment

Enjoyed his vid some of these are proper tenuous especially star light zone heh

Comment

I tried to watch those videos on TikTok but it said it was age-restricted.

When I put my age in, it said I was too old to use the app.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
          Had not heard that Cheap Trick one
          Haven't listened to the video but is this comparing Mighty Wings to Ken's theme?

If so, I remember that one from watching Top Gun in the 90s; always seemed a bit similar.

Comment

Working...
          X