No announcement yet.

Retro|Spective 008: Starfox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As evidenced in earlier posts I'm hardly a committed member of the Starfox fan club, but I did play this one and didn't think it was half as bad as I was lead to expect. From a level design perspective I do remember one particularly irritating stage (something about protecting a giant carrier against incoming cruise missiles) and a general lack of inspiration for the rest, but I still had a decent amount of fun playing it.

Controls seem to be a pretty regularly cited issue with it; I'm not going fully to bat for them, but I do think that having gyro aiming on top of stick control does go some way to fixing my biggest issue with most rail shooters, allowing me to shoot at things without having to steer directly at them too.

Comment

Game 07 - Starfox 2
      It had been held back, referred to, picked apart for ideas and clearly closely studied for decades behind closed doors but in 2017 Nintendo finally made a public release of the original true sequel. Arriving 22 years after it was completed, the game had several of the expansion ideas that had been used by other entries in the series and was launched for the Snes Mini with a Switch Online release following in 2019. The game was broadly well recieved, any point deductions coming mostly from how aged the game naturally was.

The game that never saw release for so long ironically marks the final release in the franchise as it now sits dormant. The only other Starfox experience ever made available to the public in some form were a tech demo for the Virtual Boy in the mid-90's used for showcases to demonstrate the 3D perspective:

And a watch based LCD game:

Have you played Starfox 2 and if so what were your thoughts?
      If the franchise returns in future which direction should it take to preserve quality but also advance itself?

Comment

30th Anniversary of the franchise. Starfox debuted on the SFC on ths very day back in 1993.

Starfox 64/Lylat Wars really ought to have seen the franchise firmly cemented amongst the Nintendo IP elite but the regression/decline has been sad to see.

Really don't see a way back for the franchise unless Nintendo/Platinum work to deliver a "Deluxe" port of Starfox Zero for the Switch (minus the craptacular motion controls). This would be my preference but I accept that this isn't a particularly high bar.

Comment

Hopeful plea,

Does anyone own the big box for Lylat Wars, looking to try and make the cardboard inlay for it and i can't find a reproduction/measurements for it other than USA+rumble combo small box.

Comment

Working...
          X