RIP Hardware - the retro hardware failure thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wakka View Post
    Unless you are handy enough to fix it (I know personally I wouldn’t be), I would look for a clean used example on eBay and soft mod it with freeMCboot. I’m like you in that I have an old chipped unit, but these days it can all be done via soft mod quite easily I believe. Speedy knows more in this regard (as ever).
    I have that impasse to deal with though whether now's the time to junk it and eBay the PS2 collection. Honestly I don't use it much. I still occasionally boot up Gundam: Renpou Vs ZAFT.

Comment

Eh. For me personally I like to keep this stuff around as I never know when I'll get a sudden urge to dip into something for that particular console. I'm kind of a hoarder though not a good tendency.

Comment

Originally posted by mikejenkins_uk View Post
        I would try doing the caps in the power supply/swapping the power supply first before getting onto the motherboard, this is a fairly common failure across a lot of old systems (my Neo Geo PSU had a very leaky through hole cap that did exactly this).
        Cheers for the suggestion. Had a quick test today using the PSU from my PAL Saturn instead (both machines are early MK1), no difference unfortunately. Shame really, as that would have been a more straightforward fix!

Comment

Working...
        X