Retro|Spective 202: Arcade Lightgun Shooters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our other nostalgic focus that we'll be turning our sights to is the world of the arcade lightgun shooter. From machines with handguns, shotguns, moulded assault rifles, a hoover nozzle and other novelties and quirks - the lightgun shooter has fought to remain a steadfast addition to arcades for decades but the core experience of aiming at the screen and pulling the trigger has remained at the heart of the gameplay throughout. It's with these games that we'll be reloading the RS threads second chamber and pulling the trigger on:

From early pixel shooters, through the transition to 3D, FMV based titles, using pedals to dodge and sitting in full motion control cabinets - there's a sprawling history to explore on the basic gameplay experience of pointing a plastic weapon at a screen and pulling a trigger.

Before we begin our journey, share your thoughts on the genre and strongest memories of making those perps suffer

Der ner ner, ner ner, ner ner, do do doo do doo-
    LETHAL ENFORCERS!
    Diddly diddly doooo!
    BLAM.

Comment

Love arcade shooters and am bummed that the golden age of them is well past us.

Think my favourite is Time Crisis 2, but I've also got to give a lot of love to Point Blank for throwing out the pretense of "YEAH! You're a COP! Shoot the BAD GUYS!" and just being the most videogame-ass videogame that ever videogamed.

Sure I've mentioned this before, but my student uni bar had a TC2 machine and a buddy and I held every high-score slot without competition for the whole time it was there. 1CCs on command, and no-misses weren't uncommon either. Then they upgraded to TC3, and to this day I've still not 1CCed the bastard. I love it really, but it's the last one in the series I really got into.

Moaned about this in the Sega IP thread too, but Virtua Cop 3 never getting ported wounds me deep.

Comment

Time Crisis 2 man, Time Crisis 2. All the way. Best lightgun game, all time, all my life. Can't even count how many times I've cleared it. Don't think I've ever 1cc'd it but I should've done really, just stupid mistakes on the final stage screwing me up. With more dedicated play and less drinking (I'm lucky enough to have a local machine in a barcade nowadays), I would've by now.

Also, you could dual wield the GunCons on the PS2 version. Inaccurate but fun!

Lightgun games are one of the simplest and most enjoyable gaming pleasures.

HOTD2 is up there as well, but the bosses are way too bullet spongey.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          Time Crisis 2 man, Time Crisis 2. All the way. Best lightgun game, all time, all my life. Can't even count how many times I've cleared it. Don't think I've ever 1cc'd it but I should've done really, just stupid mistakes on the final stage screwing me up. With more dedicated play and less drinking (I'm lucky enough to have a local machine in a barcade nowadays), I would've by now.
          Yeah, can I second this? I think Time Crisis 2 in the arcade was and remains the apex of the genre.

I have personal favourites I'd probably put above it, like Silent Scope or the original Virtua Cop for nostalgic reasons - but Time Crisis 2 is just a wonderful game. Though maybe too easy? I'm not amazing and haven't played it for years, but even on my last go last time I was at an airport I 1-cc'd about half of the game.

Comment

Hmm, I don't know about that. It's easier than most arcade games - but then, I think most arcade games are too hard. I think the difficulty is well pitched.

Plus, there's zero padding. It's all killer, no filler. Pure fun.

Comment

I'm gonna say it... I prefer the first Time Crisis

Comment

That interests me! I like the first game a lot, but I feel like 2 improved on a number of things and there is no question that I spent waaay more time with it. Anything in particular that tips the scales in that way for you? If nothing else, I definitely feel like it's the tougher game.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  I'm gonna say it... I prefer the first Time Crisis
                  I get it, even if I don't agree. The first one is more focused.

It's like how I prefer Virtua Cop to Virtua Cop 2, even though 2 had a massive visual upgrade and did all sorts of cool things with the concept. VC1 is simple but effective.

Comment

Game 01 - Silent Scope
                    The game gives players a recreation of a sniper rifle that viewing down the scope provides a zoomed in view of the action. This means the player has to stand back to observe enemy location then physically reposition themselves, lean down the scope and take down the enemies. Compared to other titles that were high action based this gave the game a uniqueness that drew success to it leading to several sequels and several less impactful home ports.

Did you play Silent Scope and was it a prime target in your sights?

Comment

I think with Time Crisis that's pretty much the thing with it. The original had a clear sense of its own identity and flow to it like the locations, music etc. The sequel (and later titles) are much more refined in terms of the mechanics and gameplay but have always felt like they lost the sense of identity and feel more generic as a result.

Comment

To be honest, I'm actually really unfamiliar with TC1. I'd love to spend some proper time with it, but I have no good way of doing so

EDIT: Silent Scope has to be one of the best cab designs ever. Such a cool idea.

Also, perving on ladies to restore your health. Genius. Not very 2022, and incredibly misogynistic, but still. More inventive than shooting a floating health pack.
                        Last edited by wakka; 22-04-2022, 09:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                          Game 01 - Silent Scope
                          The game gives players a recreation of a sniper rifle that viewing down the scope provides a zoomed in view of the action. This means the player has to stand back to observe enemy location then physically reposition themselves, lean down the scope and take down the enemies. Compared to other titles that were high action based this gave the game a uniqueness that drew success to it leading to several sequels and several less impactful home ports.
                          One of my all-time favourite games. I think I could 1-credit it? Or if not, definitely <3. It's also one of those games which fundamentally doesn't work in the home, so it's very high on my "fantasy arcade" list.

The conceit was great. Technically not a lightgun game (it's like Operation Wolf, where you're just controlling a joystick shaped like a lightgun) but putting a little screen inside the scope was just inspired. It really is fantastic. Branching stages, clever boss design...

And the final moment -

When you defeat the final boss, the evil mastermind bloke runs away and gets on a speedboat. You run along the pier to catch him as his boat splutters and fails, and he starts trying to get the engine running again.

But he gloats that you only have 1 bullet left.

So he's on the boat, which is rocking up and down with the sea, and you have only the time remaining to line-up the shot and fire. But the game plays this super-loud heartbeat sound and puts the timer in massive red text inside the scope to put you off.

If you miss it's GAME OVER and you can't try again.

Honestly it's really fun. If you nail it, it's a great ending.

Comment

Some great memories of Gunblade NY and Virtua Cop in the arcades ... but Point Blank is my ultimate fave. Not just the best lightgun game but the best pub arcade game ever. Years ago I had a fanciful idea of buying the Gunbarl games for PlayStation along with a lightgun (had a crt set up at the time) but I had an attack of the sensibles

Comment

Point Blank is so much fun. When you shoot the floating leaf you feel like a god among men.

Comment

Working...
                              X