Game of the Year 1993: Round Six

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game of the Year 1993: Round Six

Onto the next round as we move into the later ends of the offerings 1993 had to offer. Time to begin wrapping up our search for...

Game of the Year 1993
    Ringworld: Revenge of the Patriarch
    0%
    Rise of the Phoenix
    0%
    RoboCop vs The Terminator
    0%
    Rock n Roll Racing
    0%
    Rocket Knight Adventures
    0%
    Rollerblade Racer
    0%
    Rolling Thunder 3
    0%
    Romancing SaGa 2
    0%
    Run Saber
    0%
    Rusty
    0%
    Sailor Moon
    0%
    Sam and Max: Hit the Road
    0%
    Samurai Aces
    0%
    Samurai Shodown
    0%
    Saturday Night Slam Masters
    0%
    SEAL Team
    0%
    Secret of Mana
    0%
    Sega World Tournament Golf
    0%
    SegaSonic the Hedgehog
    0%
    The Settlers
    0%
    Shadow of the Comet
    0%
    Shadow President
    0%
    ShadowCaster
    0%
    Shadowrun
    0%
    Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective Vol. III
    0%
    Shining Force II
    0%
    Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya
    0%
    Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
    0%
    Silva Saga II: The Legend of Light and Darkness
    0%
    Silverball
    0%
    SimCity 2000
    0%
    SimFarm
    0%
    Simon the Sorcerer
    0%
    SimRefinery
    0%
    Sink or Swim
    0%
    Skyroads
    0%
    Sleepwalker
    0%
    Smash Tennis
    0%
    Soccer Kid
    0%
    Socket
    0%
    Sonic Chaos
    0%
    Sonic Spinball
    0%
    Sonic CD
    0%
    Sorcer Striker
    0%
    SOS
    0%
    Soul and Sword
    0%
    Space Hulk
    0%
    Space Invaders DX
    0%
    Space Quest V
    0%
    Spinmaster
    0%
    Splatterhouse 3
    0%
    Star Fox
    0%
    Star Trek: Judgment Rites
    0%
    Star Trek: The Next Generation
    0%
    Star Wars Arcade
    0%
    Star Wars: Rebel Assault
    0%
    Star Wars: X-Wing
    0%
    Stardust
    0%
    Starlord
    0%
    Stellar 7: Draxon's Revenge
    0%

Some absolute crackers here. Just want to call out Star Trek: The Next Generation - A Final Unity, as one of the most underrated licensed games ever.

It was voiced by the entire core cast of the show with a phenomenal amount of dialogue for a game today, never mind one in the 90s. I never finished it, but would snap it up in a hearbeat if it came on GoG etc. (due to all the dialogue and license, I don't think it has ever been re-released and it's hard to get it to run on newer computers).

Spectrum Holobyte made a bunch of these Lucasarts-style point-and-click Star Trek games and they were generally fantastic across the board, but A Final Unity was the real jewel-in-the-crown.

Comment

Wow, "S" has everything.

Comment

Can I just say, also, Skyroads. Very underrated game.

Play SkyRoads online - PlayDOSGames.com. Download or play DOS games online, choose from more than hundreds of DOS games. Relive great memories and play original games in your browser now!

Also fiendishly challenging.

Comment

I remember Skyroads! A really fun game. I used to play tons of DOS shareware stuff like that when I was a kid.

Comment

Sim City 2000 (specifically the PC version) is probably my favourite game ever made. I like the newer ones but 2000 just has a style that appeals to me. I bet I've spent more time on that than any other game ever made.

One of them in here that is doing well is Sonic CD and I hate to say this, but I've never got on with it. I absolutely love the aesthetic of it and the Japan/PAL soundtrack is excellent. The ideas behind it are great too. But for some reason, the level design just doesn't sit right with me and it really spoils it. It doesn't seem to flow right. Every few years I go back to have another try and just end up being frustrated, then play Sonic 1 or 2 and still hugely enjoy them. Is it just me?

Glad Rock and Roll Racing has a few fans too, it's a neat little game.

Comment

Shinobi III for me on that list, but it's no Revenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                One of them in here that is doing well is Sonic CD and I hate to say this, but I've never got on with it. I absolutely love the aesthetic of it and the Japan/PAL soundtrack is excellent. The ideas behind it are great too. But for some reason, the level design just doesn't sit right with me and it really spoils it. It doesn't seem to flow right. Every few years I go back to have another try and just end up being frustrated, then play Sonic 1 or 2 and still hugely enjoy them. Is it just me?

Spot on. There are things I like about it but it's a drastically weaker entry than the MD titles

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  Spot on. There are things I like about it but it's a drastically weaker entry than the MD titles
                  Yep, me too. I only got to play it for the first time looong after the Mega-CD days; I think it was in one of the PS2 collections.

I thought for the longest time I was "playing it wrong" before I realised, daft and obvious though it might seem, that if you're "playing a game wrong" then the problems with the game, not you.

Comment

Space Hulk blew my mind when it came out, it was the Warhammer 40,000 game I so desperately wanted. The Genestealers were terrifying in it.

Comment

Originally posted by phillv85 View Post
                      Space Hulk blew my mind when it came out, it was the Warhammer 40,000 game I so desperately wanted. The Genestealers were terrifying in it.
                      I almost voted for this, but I confused it with the later game from 1996 was the older one good too?

Nearly did the same thing with Mechwarrior in the previous year's thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        I almost voted for this, but I confused it with the later game from 1996 was the older one good too?

Nearly did the same thing with Mechwarrior in the previous year's thread.
                        Yeah it's not actually that different to the 1996 game, it's a bit less involved than the 1996 game but it's core mechanics are still positioning your guys and to shoot genestealers in the face before they put their claws through yours

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                          I used to love it back when I had a Mega CD. I have no idea why because I played it again a few weeks ago and it felt like a quickly knocked up ROM hack, or a prototype for Sonic 3 before they scrapped everything and started again.

Comment

Didn't know there was a Rolling Thunder 3.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathAdder View Post
                              Didn't know there was a Rolling Thunder 3.
                              As somebody who loves the first two, the third one - it's alright, but nowhere near the previous ones. North America release only. There's some gimmick about picking different weapons at the start of the stage and the gameplay mechanics are more like a standard platform shooter instead of the mechanical precision of the first two.

Comment

Working...
                              X