Retro|Spective 061R: Sonic the Hedgehog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game 05 - Sonic the Hedgehog CD
    Or for those who didn't play it, Sonic ST(C)D! The project was commissioned for the Mega CD as a reworking of Sonic 2 when despite its success the Mega Drive sequel underperformed in Japan. It was soon steered off into being an original entry however and became the add-on's highest selling game. Critically acclaimed some circles are more critical of the game these days but it remains well received and the only entry to use a time travel mechanic that results in various changes to zone layouts and appearance. It also debuted the popular Metal Sonic rival character... and Amy Rose.

What is the legacy of Sonic CD?

Comment

Sonic CD was like a mythical game for me. For years, I didn't get to play it and I wanted to. And it looked so colourful and special and magical.

And then years later it eventually came out on some collection or something and I got to play through it and... well, it wasn't all that great. I don't think the level design is fun. There isn't much to it and yet it manages to be confusing at the same time. I don't think it's a great game. But it does look lovely.

Comment

Same, I used to eyeball it in the Argos catalogue along with the Mega CD, never getting either.

I've played it several times over the years and it's never gelled. It's a game that feels like a compilation of the worst bits of the MD trilogy

Comment

Cool in places, some great music on the Jap/UK versions but really....I think the levels un Sonic CD are too much, it's a bit hectic for its own good. Still prefer it to Sonic 3 tho.

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again - whilst I love the aesthetic and soundtrack of Sonic CD, the level design is awful. I understand the reasons and the way it works around the time travel system, but it simply doesn't flow well. The whole thing feels like a rom hack. The time travel is a novelty but honestly I think it would have been better just to have them as sequential levels. I wish an actual rom hacker would pick what's there and make it into something that plays more like Sonic 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              Sonic CD was like a mythical game for me. For years, I didn't get to play it and I wanted to. And it looked so colourful and special and magical.

And then years later it eventually came out on some collection or something and I got to play through it and... well, it wasn't all that great. I don't think the level design is fun. There isn't much to it and yet it manages to be confusing at the same time. I don't think it's a great game. But it does look lovely.
              Sums up my opinion. Spent years wanting to play it, then didn't like it all that much when I finally got the chance. Wondered if I was "playing it wrong" until I realised that's a contradiction in terms; ditto for Chaotix.

Comment

Sonic CD was my favourite back in the day. I managed to rinse it after swapping my SNES for a Mega CD. No regrets, due to picking up another SNES a few months later anyway. I also got to play Snatcher and a few other gems which I’d have also missed out on (as you lot did).

I tried playing CD again recently (after Mania) and I didn’t like it at all.

Comment

We're back:

Game 06 - Sonic Chaos
                  A third Master System and Game Gear entry was the next title to arrive, pushing the series into spin-off territory more as both characters track down Robotnik who has stolen the Chaos Emeralds and plans to use them to create nuclear weapons. The game was notable for having Tails be his own unique character with moveset. The game was well received on release but is less well thought of these days.

A good Sonic or sheer Chaos?

Comment

Almost all of these Game Gear Sonics were pretty bad. Not completely unplayable but they had no charm and just didn’t feel good to play.

Comment

Would easily still much rather play Sonic CD than Sonic 3.

Don't @ Me.

Comment

Sonic 3 was the last reasonable one before the descent... and yes, I mean Knuckles

Comment

Nah. Not for me. Not by a long shot.

Sonic 3 is overrated IMO.

It feels and plays like Sonic Team looked at Donkey Kong Country and tried to make a Sonic game based off of that.

Comment

Game 07 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3
                            We're only three years into the series long history and already the third entry of the main series arrives. Initially planned as an isometric title, STI reverted back to 2D for this super sized entry that would find itself chopped down to standard size for its final release to meet deadlines and memory limits. Featuring another rotation effect bonus round and a revised visual style. From Michael Jacksons involvement to promoting it using Right Said Fred, the game was a major event for the system with many critics finding it to be the best of the trilogy.

How did Sonic 3 land for you?

Comment

I love Sonic 3. I feel it's superb with really interesting levels. I think the design just got more intricate and fun in this one. It looked and sounded great too.

Comment

Yep, it's not perfect but as no 2D Sonic game is I really like much about this one. It's visually the nicest entry and the little flourishes really make it feel like a premium MD title.

Comment

Working...
                                X