No announcement yet.

Retro|Spective 124R: Tomb Raider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Animal killing is still a very regular thing in the one I’m playing so it doesn’t feel like killing humans has been implemented to eliminate the need for killing animals. There is much more focus on combat than there was in the original games so just pulling back on that focus would seem easy.

Comment

That's probably where the commercial aspects kick in (especially with the insane expectations Square used to attach to the games) leading to a fear of playing with the formula as the reboot trilogy entries sold 3-4X the amount the prior entries were

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        That's probably where the commercial aspects kick in (especially with the insane expectations Square used to attach to the games) leading to a fear of playing with the formula as the reboot trilogy entries sold 3-4X the amount the prior entries were
        I can never help but think publishers shoot themselves in the foot over this. Yes, it's true; but the console gaming industry is, itself, 4-5 times the size it was in 1997.

Comment

I recall Square calling half its slate disappointments because they expected millions upon millions of units sold out of the gate so with such obscene levels of expectation on them internally I imagine it was never even a consideration to take a short term hit for the potential long term gains. Hopefully they'll all do better now that they're out from that shadow, Hitman seems to be in a better place already.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            I recall Square calling half its slate disappointments because they expected millions upon millions of units sold out of the gate so with such obscene levels of expectation on them internally I imagine it was never even a consideration to take a short term hit for the potential long term gains. Hopefully they'll all do better now that they're out from that shadow, Hitman seems to be in a better place already.
            Square yo-yo a bit with this. But certainly, I recall back then after they bought Eidos, they judged their games' sales very harshly, despite selling millions. I think they had this attitude of "Square Japan games sell like nothing else in Japan, Square US/EU should sell like nothing else in the US/EU".

Comment

Yep, and now they've thrown everything out for the sake of block-chaining. It's ironic that their strategy feels very... Konami just as Konami starts looking at traditional games again

Comment

I hadn't read that about their commitment to 'blockchain gaming', but have just looked it up. That's going to be an expensive mistake.

Forspoken is looking like a damp squib as well, so they'll really need FF16 to do the business this year I reckon.

Anyway we're way off topic now, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                X