CCIV: Game of the Year 2000 - Round Eight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CCIV: Game of the Year 2000 - Round Eight

We keep on truckin' with the next round of the year 2000, we're approaching the most popular letters for naming games now so what awaits?

Which of the above games from 2000 are amongst the best and why?
    O'Leary Manager 2000
    0%
    One Piece: Become a Pirate King!
    0%
    The Operational Art of War
    0%
    The Operative: No One Lives Forever
    0%
    Opsys
    0%
    Orbiter
    0%
    Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
    0%
    The Outforce
    0%
    Outlive
    0%
    Pac-Man: Adventures in Time
    0%
    Pajama Sam 3: You Are What You Eat from Your Head to Your Feet
    0%
    Panzer General III: Scorched Earth
    0%
    Paper Mario
    0%
    Para Para Paradise
    0%
    Patrician II: Quest for Power
    0%
    PBA Tour Bowling 2
    0%
    PBA Tour Bowling 2001
    0%
    Perfect Dark
    0%
    Perfect Dark GBC
    0%
    Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
    0%
    PGA Championship Golf 2000
    0%
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2001
    0%
    Phantasy Star Online
    0%
    Phantom of Inferno
    0%
    Picter
    0%
    Planet Harriers
    0%
    Planetarion
    0%
    Pocket Digimon World
    0%
    POD 2
    0%
    Pokemon Crystal
    0%
    Pokemon Puzzle Challenge
    0%
    Pokemon Puzzle League
    0%
    Pokemon Stadium 2
    0%
    Polaris SnoCross
    0%
    Police 911
    0%
    Pompei: The Legend of Vesuvius
    0%
    Pop'n Music: Mickey Tunes
    0%
    Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue
    0%
    Power Spike: Pro Beach Volleyball
    0%
    Power Stone 2
    0%
    The Powerpuff Girls: Bad Mojo Jojo
    0%
    The Powerpuff Girls: Paint the Townsville Green
    0%
    Premier Manager 2000
    0%
    Prism Heart
    0%
    Pro Pool
    0%
    Pro Rally 2001
    0%
    Project IGI
    0%
    Project Justice: Rival Schools 2
    0%
    Psyvariar
    0%
    Putt-Putt Joins the Circus
    0%
    Puyo Puyo Box
    0%
    Q-Ball: Billiards Master
    0%
    Quest: Brian's Journey
    0%
    Rainbow Cotton
    0%
    Rampage Through Time
    0%
    Razor Freestyle Scooter
    0%
    RC Revenge
    0%
    Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
    0%
    Real Pool
    0%
    Record of Lodoss War: Advent of Cardice
    0%

8 rounds in, and ive only voted for one game so far, and see nowt on this round.

Comment

I feel this close to voting for Paper Mario and Perfect Dark but though I enjoyed them back in the day I didn't love them

Comment

Perfect Dark. Obviously I'm going to vote for my #1 favourite game of all time. Me and my friends would play GoldenEye religiously. "We're going to keep playing GoldenEye, even if it does turn out to be good!", we said. We never touched the GE multiplayer ever again.

It still plays amazingly (4K/60) on the Xbox. Outside of something like Borderlands I don't think there's ever been such a diverse range of weaponry, before or since.

Comment

Man, really nothing to get me going in these past few threads. Bummer.

Still need to play Perfect Dark. Once I have an Xbox I will at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
            Man, really nothing to get me going in these past few threads. Bummer.

Still need to play Perfect Dark. Once I have an Xbox I will at some point.
            Just vote for it in advance, then. Easy.

It's at 97 on Metacritic, with a 8.8 user score. For context, that's rated higher than Breath of the Wild, and just 0.1 behind Super Mario Odyssey on User Score. Just in case there's any doubt.

Comment

You got me. I base all my votes in this thread on Metacritic.

Comment

Phantasy Star Online. Was absolutely transformative.

Comment

Yeah 2000 wasn't a good year. I guess it was on the cusp of ps2 and all the devs were ramping up for that.

Comment

2000 had PSO so it was pretty good in my book!

1p a minutes doesn't sounds too bad for internet until you're playing a game online for 100s of hours. We soon moved to a flat rate package with 2 hour disconnects.

I joined UKVGPSO on Yahoo Groups and logged on pretty much every day to do some runs. I still log in from time to time on the EphineaPSO servers.

Comment

Indeed. 2000 was great.

PAL Perfect Dark also released on the same day as JP DC SFIII Third Strike. Let’s stop pretending for a moment that we were all caning that in the arcades during 1999.

That was an awesome day, first into Burnley to pick up PD, then over to Leeds on the train for 3S.
                      Last edited by dataDave; 10-03-2023, 08:34.

Comment

Perfect Dark was okay, but after dipping my toe into PC gaming, it was a real visual step back to those blurry graphics.
                        Some really inventive gaming ideas like the machine gun briefcase, but I preferred the IP of James Bond in Goldeneye.
                        I got more fun out of Perfect Dark Zero on the 360 launch, if I'm honest.

Obviously, nobody tell dataDave I said any of this or I'll be straight off his Christmas Card list.

Gave a nod to Police 911, which was a brilliant arcade experience that checked your movements with motion tracking.
                        Due for a PSVR2 remake, if you ask me, but also check out VRigade.

Top vote for me, though, was The Operative: No One Lives Forever, which was a brilliant, but overlooked gem.
                        It had an Austin Powers vibe, which set it apart from all the space marine FPS games and a sassy female lead.
                        There were loads of crazy gadgets to try out and some fun henchmen bosses.
                        It was the dialogue that set it apart for me.
                        I've said before but, I was crouched on some scaffolding on a construction site, waiting for a couple of henchmen to walk past so that I could silent kill them from behind, but as they approached, I was listening to their conversation and the one guy is talking about how he's looking after "me old mum" and I had a total change of heart, so let them pass and carried on undetected.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          I got more fun out of Perfect Dark Zero on the 360 launch, if I'm honest.
                          Do you not have an Xbox with Game Pass? You can play it at 4K/60 and make up for all of this right now.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                            Do you not have an Xbox with Game Pass? You can play it at 4K/60 and make up for all of this right now.
                            Actually, that's a valid point, but I've bought Rare Replay, so don't need a Game Pass.
                            It's not that I don't like the original game, I do, it just felt like going back to Toy Story 1 after the graphics of the sequel.

Comment

My "had I played it" award this time goes to Phantasy Star Online, which I acknowledge as being a very big, very influential thing that a lot of folks whose opinions I trust loved a lot. I also haven't played much of Perfect Dark, but I know enough to know that was never my thing.

So what am I left with? I'm leaning towards Psyvariar...

Comment

Working...
                              X