Panasonic 3DO FZ-10: Resurrection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic 3DO FZ-10: Resurrection

Those of you who've read the "every time you get anything retro" thread will know that I recently acquired a 3DO which had problems with its optical drive. The first and most obvious problem was that it makes a helluva racket when turned on. Last week I took the thing apart to have a closer look at what the problem seemed to be. It appeared that the drive mechanism might not be working fully and that the spindle was missing a ballbearing, was unable to keep control of the disc when spinning at 2x.

Options for replacing the drive include buying an after-market setup from Ali Express or buying a vintage, mid-90s Matsu****a drive from eBay. The cost of this seemed to be up to £50 either way so, before committing to spend, I decided it was worth working out what the problem actually was and therefore what parts were needed.

On Friday, my tech friend helped me get to the bottom of things. We were able to test the mechanism when taken apart using my friend's power supply:

​​​

The problem with the mechanism turned out to be a hairline crack in the helical gear which drives the worm shaft. I hadn't noticed this when cleaning and regreasing the mechanism earlier in the week but was obvious when pointed out. As a result of the crack the drive would get jammed easily. We got the gear back into the right place on the worm shaft using UV-sensitive glue (see pic below). After several minute adjustments to each of the screws in the housing, we were able to get the thing working again.

Once this was working, we turned our attention to the spindle. The (very temporary) solution here was to just tape the disc in place. This reaped the first fruits of labour, with the console finally booting a game (Immercenary) on our mini screen.

For now, we have replaced the tape with a tiny bit of material under the disc which seems to create enough friction to stop the disc spinning out of control. We ran Immercenary on the TV:

Our next step will be to fully replace the helical gear and maybe find a new ballbearing for the spindle. As an example of the brilliance of the internet, we were able to find a 3D printable copy of the helical gear made by someone and my friend will be able to print this for us to use. It seems cracks in this gear are a common problem!

It still makes horrible noises when accessing discs, but at least it's alive now!

NB. I’ve included Vimeo links to videos in this post. They are working on my mac but not on my mobile devices.
    Last edited by egparadigm; 22-03-2023, 07:58.

Excellent, great to see an actual repair job and not just an ODE thrown in. On the back of seeing your post last week I set my FZ-10 up and been having abysmal rounds of Pebble Beach golf every day

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
      Excellent, great to see an actual repair job and not just an ODE thrown in. On the back of seeing your post last week I set my FZ-10 up and been having abysmal rounds of Pebble Beach golf every day
      Thanks, good to hear I inspired you to get back in the 3DO action!

Out of interest, does yours make a lot if noise when accessing disc?

Comment

Yep quality post. Keep us updated on any further repairs and mods you do to it.

Comment

Originally posted by egparadigm View Post
          Thanks, good to hear I inspired you to get back in the 3DO action!

Out of interest, does yours make a lot if noise when accessing disc?
          No it's quite a quiet system the odd grunt on disc access but not too noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
            No it's quite a quiet system the odd grunt on disc access but not too noticeable.
            Couldn’t imagine anyone putting up with noise I’ve heard, but good to confirm. Maybe if I get the gear replaced it will quiet down. Could also be slippage on the worm shaft.

Comment

Working...
            X