CCIV: Game of the Year 2002 - Round 09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CCIV: Game of the Year 2002 - Round 09

Don't be be-9, be active and select from the latest array of 2002 goodness on offer!

Which of the above games are among the best of 2002 and why?
    Red Faction II
    0%
    RedCard 2003
    0%
    Reign of Fire
    0%
    Resident Evil :Remake
    0%
    Resident Evil Zero
    0%
    Reveal Fantasia
    0%
    The Revenge of Shinobi
    0%
    RHEM
    0%
    Rhino Rumble
    0%
    Riding Spirits
    0%
    Riviera: The Promised Land
    0%
    Road Trip Adventure
    0%
    Road Trip: Arcade Edition
    0%
    Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood
    0%
    Robot Alchemic Drive
    0%
    Robot Wars: Extreme Destruction
    0%
    Robotech: Battlecry
    0%
    Robotech: The Macross Saga
    0%
    Rock Manager
    0%
    Rocket Power: Beach Bandits
    0%
    Rocky
    0%
    RollerCoaster Tycoon 2
    0%
    Rugrats: I Gotta Go Party
    0%
    Rugrats: Royal Ransom
    0%
    Run Like Hell
    0%
    Rygar: The Legendary Adventure
    0%
    Sakura Momoko no Ukiuki Carnival!
    0%
    Sakura Wars 4: Fall in Love, Maidens
    0%
    Salammbo: Battle for Cathage
    0%
    Salt Lake 2002
    0%
    Sangokushi Battlefield
    0%
    Savage Skies
    0%
    Savoir-Faire
    0%
    Scene It?
    0%
    Scooby Doo! Night of 100 Frights
    0%
    The Scorpion King: Sword of Osiris
    0%
    The Scorpion King: Rise of the Akkadian
    0%
    Scrabble Complete
    0%
    Sea Trader: Rise of Taipan
    0%
    SeaBlade
    0%
    Season Ticket Basketball 2003
    0%
    Season Ticket Football 2003
    0%
    The Secret of the Nautilus
    0%
    Seek and Destroy
    0%
    Sega GT 2002
    0%
    Sega Soccer Slam
    0%
    Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
    0%
    Shadow Man: 2econd Coming
    0%
    Shantae
    0%
    Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Mummy
    0%
    Shifters
    0%
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nine
    0%
    Shining Soul
    0%
    Shinobi
    0%
    Shiren the Wanderer Gaiden: Asuka the Swordsman
    0%
    Shox
    0%
    Shrek Super Party
    0%
    Shrek Swamp Kart Speedway
    0%
    Shrek: Hassle at the Castle
    0%
    Shrek: Treasure Hunt
    0%

Resi Remake was utterly mind-blowing on GameCube at the time. Astonishing remake. Embarrassingly I never finished it (it must have been harder than the original). Also enjoyed Rocky (xbox ver iirc). Good daft fun.

Comment

A lot of good games in this section for me

Re remake and Zero for NGC
      PC had all time great in Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 (still play it couple of time a year), and red fraction 2 wasn't all that bad either, to bad we never had a proper follow up (maybe teardown is the closest we've come yet)
      PS2 had the shinobi reimagining into a really good 3D action platformer and Robot Alchemic Drive i only played many years after it release due to no UK release but it's a unique RPG game of controlling a giant robot from a distance.

Comment

Having a very hard time choosing between which of these 4 Shrek games to vote for. A golden age.

Comment

Resident evil remake remains one of my favourite of the series.

Comment

I’m beginning to suspect I slept through 2002 so many games I haven’t even heard of let alone played.

Comment

Voted for Resi as it’s one of my favourite series, although actually the first time I played part 1. I guess my first Resi experience was part 2 when a friend and I rented it from the video shop, made it as far as the labs. I later owned Veronica, but never made it onto disc 2 cos I didn’t harvest enough bullets (or manage my inventory properly). So I suppose remake was also the 1st time I actually completed a Resi game.

Also, don’t think I played Red Faction 2, but did enjoy a bit of tunnelling with a grenade launcher the original.

Comment

None for me. Resi Zero didn't gel with me and Resi Remake was stunning but I've never really enjoyed it to play and would happily take a new 3rd person remake akin to the others.

No vote for this one either but I always had time for Shox as well

Comment

I voted REmake.

Agreed that the graphics were mindblowing at the time and it was actually my first Resi. I still love old school, tank control Resi action to this day

I beat it, although I had to use a guide printed in the back of an unofficial GC mag to help me. Absolutely loved it.

Comment

Riding Spirits is a pretty good motorbike racing game with Gran Turismo style modding.

Comment

Couldn't disagree more - Riding Spirits was a dreadful reflection of motorcycles and motorcycling, worse, dare I say it, than a Milestone motorcycle game. Even more insulting, it made you start out on a scooter.

Comment

I liked it, sequel was better though.

Comment

I gave Scene It? a vote, assuming we're talking about the DVD game?
                          That was pretty unique at the time and a lot of fun, because you didn't know what the question would be and you're busy trying to remember an actor's name, then it asks you how many people with red jumpers were in the background!

A few games I wish I'd have played, like the GBA Macross and Shinobi games in this list.

I also really wish I'd played Shinobi on the PS2.
                          I remember being disheartened it wasn't like the side-scroller I loved and that it's really tough.
                          In retrospect, I wish I'd given it a go as it looks really stylish and does that sweet samurai/ninja movie thing where the hero moves so fast, the group of enemies don't even know they're dead!

Anyone play it?

My votes went to Robotech: Battlecry, which was a brrrrilliant game!

You could transform between modes, that gave different uses and felt like you were a giant mech in a city with teeny tiny cars.
                          The levels were varied with city battles and big space armadas, plus you had this beautiful cel-shaded look that really worked with a game based on an animation, which looks especially cool with all the smoke trails as you launch a massive Itano Circus.

My main shout out is for Roller Coaster Tycoon 2.

I think this was peak RC. It took everything from the first game and dialled it to 11, using real parks and so many Easter eggs and gameplay. After this, they got bogged down in microtransactions and I think Chris Sawyer was no longer involved.
                          I'd love to buy Sawyer a pint to say "thanks". I've lost days to the first two games and it was glorious!

I won a tiny touchscreen PC a while back and I installed RC2 on it.
                          I remember being overjoyed to be stuck in traffic driving to a holiday as a passenger as I got to play a bit longer!

I'm not the only one who loves it and thinks it stands the test of time:
                          Player Spends A Decade Polishing Epic Theme Park In Rollercoaster Tycoon 2

RollerCoaster Tycoon' is still popular—for good reason

Why do older games like Age of Empires 2 and Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 seem to stand the test of time, but their sequels are never as popular?

Comment

Robotech: Battlecry.

Bought and played the PS2 version and gave to my brother when I bought the GC version.
                            Years later I found the NTSC-U version in Akihabara for small monies.

Comment

Working...
                            X