Anniversary 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anniversary 2024

The gaming market is really beginning to grow mature as it continues sailing past the 50 year marker. Over the decades many classic titles and releases have come and gone and each year their Anniversaries roll on by.

2023 is no different with several releases enjoying the marking of their debuts. Here we group key Anniversaries taking place throughout 2023:

What are your memories and thoughts of these key release Anniversary moments in gaming history?

50 Years Ago - Konami is Established
    The house of Castlvania, Silent Hill, Bomberman and MGS was set up to manufacture arcade machines by Kagemasa Kozuki having previously services juke boxes. Half a century on, how important has Konami been to your hobby experience?

45 Years Ago - Space Invader Releases
    The shooter became an arcade phenomenon when it launched in 1978. Alien forces descend on horizontal lines as players duck in and out of cover, blasting them down. By 1982 it had become the highest grossing videogame ever made cementing it as a classic that has carried through the years. Was this your first gaming epiphany?

40 Years Ago - The Industry Crashes
    Market saturation is often cited as a reason for the videogame crash of 1983. The shock was so severe, lasting two years, that many companies went under and analysts wondered if the videogame market was ever going to be viable. It would last for two years when Nintendo would properly enter the arena. Do you remember the experience of being a gamer during the crash?

35 Years Ago - The Sega Mega Drive is Launched
    Japan was the first market to see Sega's 16-Bit answer to the revived videgame market, the Mega Drive arrived with its sleeker black design and much better visuals adding a third button to the controller. The system would go on to be close to the hearts of an entire generation of gamers. What did the Mega Drive mean to you?

30 Years Ago - Samurai Shodown and Star Fox Launch
    Yes, both franchises are now three decades old despite their respective companies offering little in way of celebration of the fact this year. The first a weapons based 2D fighter, the second one of the first 3D visual home console games - both classic games. What are your memories of first experiencing these franchises?

25 Years Ago - The Classic Wave
    A nexus point for multiple generations, a host of classic games from 1998 enjoy their 25th Anniversary this year: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, F-Zero X, Metal Gear Solid, Marvel vs Capcom, Resident Evil 2, Banjo-Kazooie, Sonic Adventure, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Half-Life, StarCraft, Radiant Silvergun and Xenogears are just some of the titles released in that twelve month window. What did it feel like to be a gamer during this time to you?

20 Years Ago - Valve Releases Steam
    Coming out of Beta, Steam launched as a platform to support their own titles, eventually beginning to launch partner games and expand until it became the PC platform giant that it is today. Did you experience the early days of Steam and are you a fan of it success?

15 Years Ago - The Third Person Title Reigns
    EA is one of the more hesitant companies at launching new single player franchises, but here came the sci-fi horror Resident Evil-eque Dead Space which landed to critical and commericial success. Stalking the horrors of the Ishimaru, Isaac was a huge hit. Likewise, the PS3 saw Snake return in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot - the swansong to Solid Snake's tale. What did you make of both acclaimed titles?

10 Years Ago - Success Reached New Heights
    In 2013 Rockstar would launch the last, most recent GTA with Grand Theft Auto V - a title still being milked a decade later but has none the less become the most successful game ever made. Sony would also find its own success with the arrival of the acclaimed The Last of Us with another notable release being Bioshock Infinite, a title that saw huge success and also no further sequel as yet. Outside of software, Sony and Microsoft launched the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One - a new generation battle with Nintendo trying to fend them off with Super Mario 3D World. What is your review of a decade of the PS4/XBO generation?

Looking back, what are your thoughts and biggest memories?
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 08-02-2024, 13:30.

Jesus Christ. I'd already had a conversation this morning about Jurassic Park being thirty years old as we have some beers in for its birthday, then you go and drop this.

Comment

The Mega Drive for me represents the golden age of gaming. And it’s still receiving great new games even now all these years later thanks to a wonderful homebrew scene.

Comment

Me scrolling down this thread:

Comment

Most people now seem to hate Konami but they are still one of my fave developers still recent stuff like getsu fuumaden undying moon and momoden have both been fantastic then you have the fact they had godlike output back in the day. Goemon, parodius, twin bee all amazing and a bazillion rhythm games pretty much established the genre in the 90’s plus loads more series.

As for the gaming crash unless you were living in the USA it meant nothing here the uk & Europe pretty much felt zero effects as home computers were the norm over consoles and those were stupidly popular.

Comment

For me the biggest one is the Mega Drive. It’s my first ever console and still my favourite to this day. My MD collection stands at around 400 games across the 3 main regions and I’m only about a dozen or so titles from having all the MD games I want. Whether I’ll ever get Eliminate Down I’m not sure, but I reckon if I get a holiday to Japan in the next few years and the exchange rate stays like this then maybe I’ll do it.

Comment

1998 for me. My late teens, and I was earning, with huge amounts of disposable (more than today) to spend on absolutely anything I wanted - back when gaming was relatively very cheap. That autumn to winter period was absolute gold, not to forget the entire summer spent speed-running RE2.

Comment

I was born in 1990 and got my PlayStation in 99. Naturally I had years after that playing absolute gems, very fond memories. I was thinking the other day about how I wrote a story for a key stage 2 English test with characters named Dave and Hal, unbeknownst to these names themselves being a reference to 2001. Discovering RPGs with Final Fantasy VIII, fighting games with Tekken 3, driving games with Gran Turismo... Doesn't get much better.

My Steam account turned 18 years old the other day, made that when I was 14.

Comment

Konami went through such a strong phase and it feels like such a self inflicted defeat they put on themselves to have to try and recover from now.

I played Space Invaders at an early age but it's always been that bit more older than me that it never grabbed my attention. Likewise the crash wasn't on my radar either.

I owned a Mega Drive as the second console I ever had and I liked it but I've never held a strong sense of nostalgia for it beyond the hardware itself as a few years later I discovered the SNES and subsequent consoles that were much stronger offerings for me.

Star Fox stands out though, it was always about the visuals more than anything else, on SNES - when it comes to these visuals - only Stunt Race FX bested it

Steam wasn't on my radar really till around 2014 but Resi 2 stood out more to me because I wasn't wowed by Resi 1. It wasn't that long before I'd gone through Alone in the Dark's port so it felt too much like a copy whereas Resi 2 felt it went beyond that in scope.

MGS4 is one I keep meaning to revisit. As much as it's self-indulgent and not the peak of the franchise I'd take it a thousand times over MGS5 and it being PS3 locked has kept playthrough much lower than the first three games.

Comment

Samurai Showdown (Spirits) is 30 years old today. Released on July 7th, 1993.

The first two games in the series are all-time classics (OG moreso than sequel), especially given the Street Fighter era it was in and that ex-Capcom Devs worked on it IIRC. That said, I do feel that the series declined from III onwards and was eventually surpassed by the two The Last Blade/Bakumatsu Roman games. I've not played the recent modern console reboot but I've heard that it is pretty decent and it looks as much tbf.

Other anniversaries mentioned in the thread: Konami...my feelings towards them are complicated nowadays. A big part of my gaming youth both in arcades and at home (like many others) but the quality of their software output and their apparent behaviour as a company nowadays leaves a hell of a lot to be desired IMO.

The US videogame crash...I think it's pretty naive for anybody to suggest that it didn't matter just because it happened in North America. It clearly had a massive bearing on how the major Japanese hardware and software devs approached the western markets in general. Nintendo literally changed their whole approach with how they launched the NES in the west because of it, as well as Sega and SNK with their products. I do also think that it started to signal the beginning of the end for the popularity of 8-bit computers that played host to lots of one-man "bedroom-coded" software that was awful on reflection (hence why the crash partly happened). That side of things didn't go away overnight but with the advent of 8 and 16-bit consoles the tide was obviously turning.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                      Samurai Showdown (Spirits) is 30 years old today. Released on July 7th, 1993.
                      I was obsessed with it. It used to be on GamesWorld much of the time on Sky, and I always remember preferring to see that on the show than Street Fighter II, just because of how vibrant and interesting the characters were.

Comment

40 years ago today.

Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 18-07-2023, 16:51.

Comment

Debuted in Japan on this day in 2003, 20 years ago.

Comment

Launched in Japan 25 years ago today.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                              Launched in Japan 25 years ago today.

Honestly one of my more disappointing consoles. Though I think some of that was on me. I just think I expected too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X