Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sega astro city cabinet. Need some info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not really that bothered about the price more the lack of availability really. I can totally see your point though, i guess there is not much of a reason to import these cabs once all the overheads go on top especially when you can source UK equivalents alot cheaper.

Comment

just a word of warning regarding the size of the astrocity, i can get you the exact dimensions when i get home, but when my GF ordered one we had to remove 3 doors to get it in and even then it was a nightmare. They are VERY wide and very deep - you CANNOT remove the stick panel on the versions we got so the width is fixed.

Even worse, i gave one of mine away to a friend - and it was far to big to get through his front door. In the end, we removed his entire ground floor window and had to winch the damn thing up about 6ft in the air to slide it in.

Utter nightmare.

Converting the ones we have also looks to be a nightmare - i need an industrial strength bolt loosener to get the damn things loose - and of course about 4 people to hold the thing whilst we turn it. Still looking to convert one of the machines, as i'm desperate to play Phoenix again.

The one compensation is that Astrocities here run for around 150 quid a pop - hence there was 4 of them in the house at one point.

I'll look to see if anywhere will deliver abroad for a reasonable amount, but japanese readers might want to check out :

Comment

yeah, i think this astro city dream is just that....a dream. i reckon the naomi route Bleeders mentioned is more viable as they are actually available. Plus the whole lure of the astro (for me) was it looks compact but its obviously not..

Right i've been offered a naomi U/R for about ?800 in the UK, without a game.....has anyone got any info about the ability to dismantle a naomi cab...is it possible etc?

Comment

Just incase you didn't know the Naomi Universal cabs are NOT Jamma compatible.

But ?800 is a good price if its in good condition.

Comment

im not sure about the old style astro city but the new style astro cities (with the speakers sticking out at the top) pannel can be removed to fit through almost any door.

The whole front lower half comes off in one piece, if thats not enough clearance the plastic shroud around the screen can be taken off to give you just that little bit extra room.

Comment

Originally posted by Kron
              Just incase you didn't know the Naomi Universal cabs are NOT Jamma compatible.

But ?800 is a good price if its in good condition.
              yeah i need to find out how much of a pain in the tits it would be to get it converted to jamma. The internet is badong man i've read on a few site that naomi is jamma.

edit: can you even rotate the screen on a naomi?

Comment

converting should be easy enough, if it comes to it cut the wires and rewire it to a jamma harness.

im guessing the screen can be rotated as some games are vert eg ikaruga/psyvariar2

putting a new screen(low/med) res is probably the hardest to find and fit.

Comment

I'll just keep looking for an astro city, i like the look of them and the big screen.

It sounds like to much hassle trying to convert a naomi cab.

Comment

If i can find out more info on the screen and what the connectors like i might be able to help, if its a jamma connector just wired differently or it might be jamma but with the sound wired differently.

If its still a jamma style connector then it would be easy to make a converter for a few pounds.

the screens more of a problem, although i havnt seen a naomi cab with other games in, im finding it hard to believe that they wouldnt use a standard/medium res monitor, i know sega have in the past on some cabs.

im personally waiting to see what Sammy come up with, there pushing the atomis wave, and with snkp now on it, i would be pissed to get a normal cab, then i need a vga screen for the AW. (it does to 15hz but who wants that )

Comment

this is a reply from a guy on ukvac:

I have seen Jamma games in Naomi cabs, I cant imagine ops spending
                      all that money on the cab then changing the monitor!
                      and supposedly naomi is jamma compatable.....i'll try and do more digging too.

Comment

is it this type?

http://www.coinopexpress.com/products/machines/cabinets_only/Naomi_Universal_Cabinet_(U-R)_3411.html

who quoted you ?800 for one geldra?

Comment

kinda like that one...though that is a sit down one. I'm assuming its a typical virtua tennis style one (like the one in the link but taller).

I'm going to check on prices and stuff to see whether ?800 is'nt too much as its the cab only...not sure if it comes with naomi mother boards.

Comment

heres another update from ukvac. Naomi monitors are fixed resolution....back to drawing board.

The Naomi needs to be converted to Jamma, and the Monitor also needs to be
                            changed, you see the Monitor in UK Naomi machines are fixed 31.5kHz VGA
                            monitors, and they need to be swapped dual freq Nanao 29SU..

Comment

This thread maybe of interest, starglider has got a neo geo candy cab.

Comment

this firm may have some perhaps?

bit pricey tho

Comment

Working...
                                X