No announcement yet.

GP32 vs GBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice , how long does the batteries last , bout same time as on GBA? You got the backlit one?

Comment

5 hrs with light on, 10 hours off - not sure how this comares with the GBA??

Comment

Cool, thats double the amount compare to GBA with light! Ere bloke, you seen/read about that gametrac? 400mhz ARM9 processor running Microsoft's Windows CE, can't be ignored, imagine - perfect emulations eh!

At the heart of Gametrac is a 400MHz ARM9 processor running Microsoft's Windows CE .NET operating system.

Gametrac says it chose Windows CE .NET as the gaming device's embedded OS based on "its easy-to-use, rapid development tools, including device emulation, board support packages, and the Platform Wizard; for its leading-edge multimedia technologies; and for the ability to combine that rich functionality into a small footprint. The intention is to maximise the inevitability of growth through convergence between the content-driven mobile device market and Internet protocols."

Gametrac selected Intrinsyc Software to provide application development and Windows CE .NET integration services for Gametrac's advanced series of "Gametrac" handheld gaming devices. Intrinsyc says it will develop fully-customized embedded software based on Microsoft's Windows CE .NET operating system along with telephony application software based on Intrinsyc's GSM/GPRS intellectual property, and will provide systems integration services for the new gaming devices.

Scott Horn, Director of Microsoft's Embedded Devices Group, said Microsoft is "delighted that Gametrac chose Window CE .NET to power their cutting edge mobile entertainment device." Additionally, he noted that "as a Microsoft Gold Level Windows Embedded Partner, Intrinsyc Software is an ideal systems integrator to assist Gametrac in building its next-generation consumer device based on the Windows CE .NET operating system."

"We welcome Intrinsyc and Microsoft into the Gametrac operation," said Tiger Telematics CEO Mike Carrender.

"We chose the Windows CE .NET platform for two main reasons. Firstly, the world already knows of its comprehensive, user friendly and familiar access memory. This coupled with a global support infrastructure and striving design ethos was an important element within our decision making process."

"Secondly, the ability to run such a feature-rich catalogue of multi-media content was irresistible and complements both our technical and commercial ambitions. Using some of the highest speed processing engines available on the market today, we hope to utilise Windows CE .NET to the full."

"We are delighted by this partnership and look forward to a long and fruitful future with Intrinsyc. Intrinsyc's inherent ability to adapt these types of applications onto consumer mobile platforms, combined with their association with Microsoft makes this deal a must," Carrender added.

"This is a very significant contract for Intrinsyc that demonstrates the wide range of devices and applications that we are capable of helping device manufacturers deliver," commented Intrinsyc CEO Derek Spratt. "We continue to win new contracts in the consumer electronics space and help companies such as Tiger Telematics break new ground with innovative wireless computing solutions".

Intrinsyc says the contract is valued at approximately CDN $900,000 and includes provisions for ongoing royalties based on unit sales.

Comment

Personnaly , i get both GBA SP and GP32 , i sold back my GP32 .

Mainly because i wanted a no-think pocket machine , i plug my cartbridge in the GBA , it works , there is some good exclusive games (i m a fan of castlevanias) , some good reeditions , it runs full speed , i don't have to know if my machine will be abble to run 166mhz or whatever.
          I like the batery system , plug it few hours, can play 15+hours (with light): I was really astonished , i didn't see the end of my battery the first time , i ve finished Mario , began metroid and castlevania with the first charge (after having done a complete charge/decharge cycle).

I m missing some Sega classics on it , but it not bugs me more than that, i'm not an harcore pocket player, and i can emulate perfectly all the oldies on my PC or Xbox.

Comment

that looks cool mate, but is it real? the design looks very similar to the PSP (if I'm not mistaken)...this is the first I've heard of it?

Trevize - each to their own mate. As you state - for 100% no messing great SNES conversions (if you don't mind paying ?20+ a pop) then the GBA is ideal.

The GP32 is a different beast all-together IMO, and certainly something more like comparing a console to a computer...more of a 'grown ups' handheld (no offence to anyone- but I think you know what I mean!).

Comment

does chrono trigger work on the gp32?

if it does..

Comment

do the emulators have sound?

when you say the snes one is playable, what kind of speed % are we talking? if its not 100% will it piss me off?

whats the mega drive emulator like? im interested in the same things as with the snes emu, speed, compatability etc.

are the gameboy, nes, master system, game gear and NGPC ones pretty much perfect?

whats all this about overclocking and stuff? are there different models?

Comment

I can't answer you for the snes and MD emus , as i sold my GP32 before the release of this ones,

For Master system, NES, and all the old systems, it s near perfect yes

PC engine is good , but not perfect in all games.

The main dilema is to know if you get a machine that supports 166mhz overclocking , most of the GP32 don't, they run at 152mhz (something like that) , and a minority can't reach that speed (running a litle less, i have not the numbers in mind)

For exemple , if you are running scumm (emulator of olds lucas arts point and click : sam & max, day of tentacle etc...) if you run it at 152 mhz you have no sound , at 166 mhz you have sound .
                  For pc engine emu , if you have 152 mhz , you have to put some frame skip, at 166mhz , most of games will run full speed .

Their is two models of GP32 sold : the one with light , and the one with no light . I advise to get the one with light (the screen is brighter than the GBA one , but it's usefull anyway).

But for anyone who wants good emulation , i would recommand to wait the TIGER handled Dragon2K4 showed us , unless you have money to spare and don't mind grabbing this and sell back it 6 month later .

Comment

they do sell 166MHz g'teed GP32s - so that would help...apparently 166MHz is near 100%.

as for if it'll pi$$ u off...well, you're not paying for the game are you? and things WILL improve (as newer emus come out).

I'd say they're about 80% (SNES/MD) - you can turn sound on/off (which helps with frame-rate too)...PCE I thought was 100%, but I'm no expert!!

oh - and the Pilot wings game was slow to the point of unplayable...but that's the only one I've had major probs with.

Comment

how necessary is the light?

Comment

Depends mate, the screen is MUCH better than the GBA (brighter and bigger) - BUT, if you want to play in low light then you'll need the light.

where abouts are u located? if you're local to Farnborough/Basingstoke I don't mine showing how good the screen is in the flesh.

Alternatively try to go to ECTS, they are often seen at this show.

I personally use the light about 30% of the time...but it's nice to have the option...esp. for not much more ???!

Comment

ignore, answered my own question
                          Last edited by VR46; 14-07-2004, 21:33.

Comment

can it run movies etc?

Comment

what the GP32 ? yes it can, quite well, about 15 to 24 frames per second, on a 3.5" screen that is plenty, check out www.gp32x.com for all the info you'll ever need.

PS. Newest version of the GBA emulator was released over the weekend, big improvement over older versions from what I've read, will try it out in next few days.

Comment

Working...
                              X