Is Chrono Cross a good game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, he just has a non-stupid bandana and face

I hate this. I own both this and Xenogears, but can't play the chuffing things as I don't own a modded/NTSC PS1/One. And my PS2 is a boot disc import thing.

ft:

By the way - Chrono Trigger is the best RPG I've ever played. All hail the Frog.

Comment

Played it for 90mins last night.

I love the battle system - can't get enough of it.

The main character is rather silent yes, but that's a good thing IMO. I feel like I'M the main guy here instead of some blonde-haired Gatsu/Guts rip-off fag who doesn't even remember the time of day and fills the game with his own damn feelings. This feels a little like a Zelda game in terms of main character relation.

I like it how you can run away from folk if you've already heard what they have to say rather than having to scroll through repeated text - nice touch.

I love the initial 'tropical' setting, so far this has to be the most colourful RPG I've played without the over-designed eye-aches of the recent Square RPGs. The display is so damn vibrant through me little screen.

I can't wait to play more tonight (if I can keep away from the area1 boss on Psy2) - that's what RPGs are all about in my book, looking forward to your next session in order to find out more.

Heh heh - I stole that cooks special secret bone!

The world map reminds me of Monkey Island too.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidFallows
        Played it for 90mins last night.

I love the battle system - can't get enough of it.

The main character is rather silent yes, but that's a good thing IMO. I feel like I'M the main guy here instead of some blonde-haired Gatsu/Guts rip-off fag who doesn't even remember the time of day and fills the game with his own damn feelings. This feels a little like a Zelda game in terms of main character relation.
        Fair point. For me though, a silent Link works in Zelda because there is no real need for his dialogue. Plus Link has enough character of his own to compensate.

Serge, OTOH is completely charmless and the silence makes this even more apparent.

I also feel the plot's too 'heavy' for its main character to be silent (again, never an issue with Zelda). Link also didn't have other people making decisions for him whilst he merely nodded in approval.

I like it how you can run away from folk if you've already heard what they have to say rather than having to scroll through repeated text - nice touch.
        They got that from Xenogears...

I love the initial 'tropical' setting, so far this has to be the most colourful RPG I've played without the over-designed eye-aches of the recent Square RPGs. The display is so damn vibrant through me little screen.
        Yes, it is very nice to look at.

The music is superb, though. The 'other' overworld theme evokes the feeling of being isolated and lost, so well.

Comment

Originally posted by Moodmon
          I hate this. I own both this and Xenogears, but can't play the chuffing things as I don't own a modded/NTSC PS1/One. And my PS2 is a boot disc import thing.
          You STILL not sorted that out? There MUST be one on eBay somewhere...

Comment

I loved this game upto a certain point. Music as already mentioned is superb, I even went as far as buying sheet music for it. Again as already mentioned the battle system is great although it would have been nice for it to advance a little further as the game went on. I think I clocked around 40ish hours when I lost interest. It wasn't because of the story that part of the game's really quite good. Come to think of it I don't know what stopped me playing.....

one major gripe though is I'd of liked some more interaction with
            Originally posted by spoiler
            Marle, Lucca and Chrono
            I think I'll go have another blast on this to refresh my memory and finally finish the thing...

Comment

I'm amazed you remembered Flabio. I've been busy with uni (asepsis and pharmacy practice [shudders]) but with a month holiday coming up I intend to Serge-and-(insert main character from Xenogears here)-me-up.

Of course, this means I now hate Mr. D. Fallows. What's the battle system like? The best one I've played with in this type of game is Grandia II (KOTOR is a western game, and so different rules apply).

Comment

Originally posted by Moodmon
                Of course, this means I now hate Mr. D. Fallows. What's the battle system like? The best one I've played with in this type of game is Grandia II (KOTOR is a western game, and so different rules apply).
                You can choose how much damage you hit for in a combo-style scenario, however the harder the hit the more stamina is required. Each attack has a percentage which tells you the chances of the attack making contact. I think you're advised to start off on the lower hits building up to the higher attacks - I've only played a couple of training sessions with some old geezer so far. More attacks generate more power like SoA - power is required to pull off special element (magic) skills.

Ask me again tomorrow after I've had a proper sesh tonight.

Comment

[Realises he's seen this before. In the manual (which he's read) for the game he can't actually play yet. Promptly jumps out of window to punish himself for such stupidity]

Comment

Mood, take it from me man, this game is GREAT!

An RPG has to be something really special to keep me interested - and CC fits the bill perfectly.

Last night I encountered the first major 'fate' shift on the story, I don't want to spoil too much so I won't continue - I'll just say that so far the story has been 100% fresh and unlike any other RPG story I've encountered (I'm not into a lot of RPGs so you could put that down to lack of experience). It's like a Stephen King story combined with FF with a bit of Dave Lynch thrown in as well, just what I could be doing with right now.

I'm only 3hrs in but this game has grabbed me from the start.

Aesthetically - like I said before, the scenery and the music have been the best I've seen/heard without going overboard, the mood is perfect.

If you hate me now get this: Last year I paid $30 for a sealed US PSOne and $50 for the official screen, also factory sealed and never touched. Gotta love those uneducated ebay sellers!

Comment

Xenogears is still better tho

I'll shut up now.

Comment

Just put another 10 hours in since thursday and I've fallen back in love with the game so many plot twists near the end its making my head hurt!

Comment

My Chrono Cross copy has a small scratch that would cause it to crash EVERY TIME on a certain FMV in the dragons fort.

So I luckily found a save on the net, downloaded and using someone elses characters started off near that point using an emulator. Got another 5 hours in and another FMV sequence used a clip from the previous ones and it crashed all the time AGAIN.

Oh how I swore.

Comment

I've finally been able to play it. It seems very good, 3 hours in. The battle system is odd, but at least gives you a fairly cheap way of healing yourself after every battle. I like the allusions to Chrono Trigger, such as the map music, the scene on the Cape (it's from one of the best battle in the original game), the Hero's Medal (shame it's in the hands of a tit).

I'd love for some CT characters to pop up, but from what I've heard they don't, or it is only one of the less interesting ones. Still, the premise of the game seems good, so I'll have to stick with it.

Comment

Played it through to the end. The only complaint I have is that the leveling up wasn't anywhere near satisfying enough.

I sorted that out by re-playing FFVII and maxing out everything for the first time ever.
                              Last edited by dataDave; 24-08-2004, 11:25.

Comment

My initial prognosis is still correct - it's complete ass and you'd be far better off playing some of the later FF games...

Then again, this thread has made me want to finish it now, I did 40ish hours and got to the final area, then got bored

Comment

Working...
                                X