No announcement yet.

Aliens VS. Predator CPSII - Any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ditto Saur and Co on this one. I reckon AvP is the current pinnacle of this genre ... best Aliens game, though maybe the feel is a little off, but that's part of its charm, anime-cyborgs kicking alien ass by the truck load. Oh, and I seem to remember that the Arnie-a-like character sounds like he's going "****!****!****!" whilst performing his standard combo. Could be wrong about that one.

-M-

Comment

Combos are all fine and good, but for the gamer who wants an exciting experience with variety and excellent graphics, AVP falls short in all areas.

I have played all the Capcom scrollers and rate FinalFight, Captain Commando and Armored Warriors as exceptional games amongst others.

AVP has little graphical flair and ambition. The sprites are decent enough but the enviromnents are underwhelming. The repetitive nature of the enemies is tiresome, especially compared to what Konami achieved with Aliens.

Its not a disaster but it is very subdued compared to Capcoms finest.

Comment

I dont understand where you are coming from man -

All these scrolling beat em ups have repetitive enemies and environments, those 3 you mention also have the same - so does Punisher, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs and Dungeons & Dragons but they are all truly class games due to what you can do within the game not what graphics you are shown. Aliens vs Predator sat alongside Xmen: Children Of The Atom and SF Zero in the when released in the arcades and was a VERY impressive looking game when it was released, just as Final Fight sat proudly next to SF2.

You say "Combos are all fine and good" - this is the core gameplay you are talking about and you simply dismiss it in favour of pretty graphics. If this core system is sound, interesting, varied and fair so that a skilled player can 1 credit the game it's a good game system and the game should be judged on that merit first.

Comment

Well I agree completely with Saurian on this one, I also happen to think that the graphics in AVP are way better than any other 2D scrolling beat em up and its one of the best (if not the best) ever made in the genre. Aliens was impressive at the time but pales in comparison, so Kingston I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on the points you've made.

Comment

Saurian, imo the game just doesn`t have enough flair and imagination. Capcom decided to tone their usual brash design down somewhat and this can be seen in the lack of colour and the undernourished environments.

Capcom fans expect an abundance of visual splendour with detailed backgrounds and colourful exhuberance. The Alien sprites are one example of Capcom toning things down, as they lack vibrancy and detail.

The reason Final Fight, Captain Commando and Armored Warriors are so acclaimed is partly down to the classic Capcom look. All their games are reknowned for the style of their colourful detailed exciting gameworlds.

I cannot disagree that the combo and fighting system in AVP is good. If only the game wasn`t so lacking in every other area. To say that all scrolling beat-em-ups have repetetive environments is not fair, though I agree that cloned enemies is inherent in all of these type of games. Also, I have to disagree when you say it s not the graphics that make the games. If you ask all Capcom fans what they like most about the company, it will always be the visual style first and foremost, though obviously the finely tuned gameplay is what makes us play the games again and again.

I reccomend playing Aliens by Konami. It has a far more exciting visual design and although the gameplay may lack the combo system of AVP, imo it is far more enjoyable. Obviously at the end of the day all I am doing is expressing as a Capcom fan my dissapointment for a title that could and should have been designed in true Capcom style.

Comment

unsure of the price fella but...

the game rocks - one of the best sideways scrolling fighters ever

excellent all round

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys

I did play this on mame and thought it was great, hence me buying it.

I haven't got the game yet but i'm thinking of building a mame machine. So if anybody on this site wants it i'll do it for the price i paid.

Comment

AvP was superrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrb, as was cadillacs and dinosaurs...

Comment

Working...
                  X