Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'd forgotten how good Super Mario World is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm the download is too big for me but I reckon 12 mins is about possible at top whack, you can complete the game in 11 levels. I took my time messing about in the levels and it took me 20 minutes to complete the game but if you refined your runs I think 12 mins is possible

Comment

Originally posted by rjpageuk
      Originally posted by Blu3Flame
      Started it yesterday lunchtime and had finished it by the evening
      Makes you wonder why people complain about how short games are nowadays doesnt it?

It is really quite surprising when you go back to old SNES classics just how short they are.
      The difference is that on the GBA version, you can save at any point. On the Snes you could only save after Castles, Ghost Houses and switch palaces, so you'd often end up having to re-do whole chunks of the game- many times if neccessary. This is why the GBA version is so easy to complete.

I'm not sure I like the way you can save at any point now, as it renders the whole concept of Lives unnecessary... and therefore all the bonus games, your score, the green mushrooms, collecting coins etc... they're all pointless in the GBA version.

Comment

The problem with the SNES version was that when you saved it didn't save your score or lives. When you reloaded your save your score was wiped and your lives were back at 5 Is that sorted to any extent in the GBA ver ?

Comment

Originally posted by Blu3Flame
          The problem with the SNES version was that when you saved it didn't save your score or lives. When you reloaded your save your score was wiped and your lives were back at 5 Is that sorted to any extent in the GBA ver ?
          Don't know about score, but I think it does keep all your lives. But don't you think it was good that your lives would always go back to five? Even the most novice of players could easily aquire about 20 + lives by the time they got off Yoshi's island, so if it saved your lives you'd have 100+ lives before you were even halfway through the game, which would remove all the challenge.

Anyone agree that being able to save anywhere is a flaw with the GBA version?

Comment

I would say the save anywhere thing definately makes it easier than the SNES version, but I don't know it it's a flaw.. It's maybe justified on a portable version - you might be playing on the train or something and not have time to get to a ghost house. Probably makes it more accessible too. I reckon the game is still rock if you don't know about the various things you can do to make life easier for yourself.

Comment

Super Mario World has to be my most played game of all time, it just oozes perfection. Anyone can see how each level has been lovingly crafted to perfection, with serious though put into what the level should consist of and whether an addition here or there will ruin the flow of he level.

What your left with is possibly the most perfect set of levels to ever grace our consoles, IMO at least. They run the gauntlet from easy (the Yoshi's Island based levels) to frustratingly hard (see Star Road's Gnarly and Tubular) with a number of genius level designs in between (such as Chocolate Road 2 whereby each section of the level changes depending on the time remaining and the amount of coins collected).

The addition of Yoshi was also a master-stroke as the levels essentially became a completely different proposition when Mario was on Yoshi-back (see Cheese Bridge's suicide dive).
              It is this inclusion of Yoshi which allows the game to surpass Super Mario Bros 3 in my eyes (only by a miniscule margain mind you ).

It should be part of any gamers education

Comment

I played it recently, and man that 'suicide dive' on Cheese Bridge was tough, until I remembered how I did it when I was little... leapt off the edge with Yoshi and spin-jumped off him just as he fell to his death.

Comment

:O

Cheats! If only I'd known about that as a nipper, you'd have given me many hours of my life back!

*shakes fist*

Comment

My most played GBA / SNES game. Easily.

Still battling through the GBA version trying to get all the Yoshi Badges on all the levels. Got around 80 so far......Will do it sometime.

Anyone got all of them ??

Comment

YES and yes.
                      You couldn't collect the Yoshi coins in the SNES one. It didn't save it and I never had the patience to go through in one go.

What a game! The level design is so TIGHT. It's the polar opposite of Sonic's sprawling levels.
                      Oddly enough, when it came to 3D, Sonic and Mario swapped gameplay styles. Sonic went along a linear route, and Mario went exploring. Funny, that!
                      [/offtopic]
                      Anyway, this must be my most played game after Secret of Mana and perhaps the Quest For Glory games.
                      Simply superb.

Comment

That's really interesting. I'm gonna get me some more Yoshis coins this weekend.......Wonder if you get any nice reward for collecting all of 'em ?

Originally posted by Magnakai
                        YES and yes.
                        You couldn't collect the Yoshi coins in the SNES one. It didn't save it and I never had the patience to go through in one go.

What a game! The level design is so TIGHT. It's the polar opposite of Sonic's sprawling levels.
                        Oddly enough, when it came to 3D, Sonic and Mario swapped gameplay styles. Sonic went along a linear route, and Mario went exploring. Funny, that!
                        [/offtopic]
                        Anyway, this must be my most played game after Secret of Mana and perhaps the Quest For Glory games.
                        Simply superb.

Comment

Originally posted by rjpageuk
                          It is really quite surprising when you go back to old SNES classics just how short they are.
                          Same here.
                          A while ago I heard stories of people completing the likes of Metroid, Zelda, Probotector and Mario in stupidly quick times. I didn't believe it until I dug out my SNES and found myself able to speed through many of the games with a 90%+ completion rate on 1st go.
                          These same games previously kept me stuck for weeks on end, can't explain why they seem so easy know.
                          Maybe it's partly to do with many of us cutting our teeth on these games and the fact they have been endlessly copied in so many games that we know all have very high skills that are reliant for these 2D games, so when replaying, we can all speed through them.

My favourite memories of Mario World, bar the giant bullets was hatching the yoshi eggs and then feeding them until they grew full size.

I do prefer Yoshi's Island over Mario World, both are class though.
                          And NO game can come close to matching the brilliance that is Mario 64 IMO. The frog and racoon suits from Mario 3 deserve a mention, both class, though i don't understand why getting a racoon tail lets you fly.
                          Aside from the evilness of the Lost Levels I though the flying level on Mario 3 (was it world 5?) and the tank levels at the end of the game were the hardest sections in any Mario game.

Comment

Just ran thru this again, started yesterday afternoon and finished this morn.

Sheer genuis, this is the only game I have known to play for more than 12 hrs and NOT get tired of/pissed off with.

Gorgeous................

Comment

Found this nice map on GameFAQS if anyone hasnt seen it before:

Comment

Working...
                              X