No announcement yet.

The truth behind Konix...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steal a Z88 off him and sell it to me. 8)

As for Video 2000, here is a website just for you.

Warning contains things that people under the age of 16 may find distressing

Comment

I remember that weird Konix console thingy, got quite excited about it for a while when C&VG published pics of the grey unit. Then I remembered there was no way my parents would let me get a console, and then I realised it would be a jack of all trades but master of none so to speak.

Konix joysticks were great little devices though. I bought the analogue one they used to do, in order to make Knights of the Sky playable - soon I was using it with Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix, I think I may have even used it with Stunt Car Racer? A great little stick, it even had two independent fire buttons - which was pretty special for the Amiga, where any kind of analogue control was still a novelty. It was a quirky little thing, I guess really you want a flight stick for flight sims and a wheel for driving games and this was neither. But it did a good job.

Didn't use it for all that long because I graduated to a PC, where I promptly went through a succession of 'proper' analogue flight sticks before giving up in disgust. I have a feeling that if I were to dig the Konix out of the loft, it would still work fine today! Wonder if I can get an Amiga > PC converter

Comment

we had a huge order for the konix and even had a large floorspace cleared for some teaser merchandise (at the time the dept i managed had the largest floorspace dedicated to games in england)

i remember the fax the buyer showed me and going through quantities to order etc (also made some money on the side copying and selling the info to the main competitiors at the time ^^ )

seeing it at the show was pretty damn cool, minter was in attendence if i remember right, tho i dont remember seeing any light gun games working

then all of a sudden... nothing! pretty damn weird, still there was always staff tourneys on galaga 88, final lap twin and volfied to have fun with..

Comment

Are there any videos around of this thing in real-life action? I would love to see it moving and seeing the user's face

I can only find this scary presentation vid

Yes, I did summon this thread from the gwave.

Comment

I like the way the promo vid says near the beginning that the KMS has a 32-bit processor, then half way through it decides that the processor is in fact a 16-bit jobbie. Make your bloody mind up, Konix!

Comment

even for a 16bit machine it looked awfully 8bit.

Comment

You can't get more realism without actually being there... The software is quite literally the best on Earth.

Christ, it was ****.

Comment

This reminds me once again how gaming mags were mostly willing to print any bull**** to hype up their young, trusting readers.

I remember looking at shots of the Last Ninja (whichever version) on the Konix, and the colours really did stand out. However, I think only one other game looked decent, it may have been mentioned in this thread.

That video just shows it up as extremely lacking, even though I assume it's unfinished hardware, etc etc

How the hell were they going to produce the chair and sell it at an affordable price? Reminds me of the VR craze of the early 90s, a bit.

Oh yeah, that MD chap knew a lot-it seems a lot of old posters got banned, no idea why.

Comment

MD can be found on another board I'm a mod at but he's not called MD anymore. He got banned from here due to good enough reasons.

Anyway, there's a Konix Multisystem fan homepage out there with loads of great info and some real software videos. There's interviews with the people behind the system as well. A fantastic site although I no longer know the URL. I'm sure a bit of googling will turn it up though.

Yakumo

Comment

I love the way he comes into this thread as a big know it all, then proceeds to type like an illiterate village idiot.

Actually, he came into all threads as a big know it all.

Comment

I knew him IRL, he was the same.

Comment

Sorry for bringing any negativity on board, I've been lurking for a while before I posted (a few weeks ago) and noticed MD had a lot of knowledge. I had no idea why he was banned but did notice that he (deliberately or subconciously) liked putting people down.

Yakumo, I think I know the board you're referring to but I have no idea what nick he uses there, I don't post there but it's a great site, I loved the original one with all the hardware and info etc et

Comment

I really don't understand the affection for this system and the lamentation that it was never released. Like a few others, I think it genuinely looks poor - the whole 'revolution' of the controller just seems a gimmick to me, since all 3 controllers were effectively the same thing with different plastic bits attached to give the right 'feel'.

As for the chair...what the hell were they thinking? There's no possible way it could have been affordable, and almost no one except a tiny minority would have bought it. I mean, where would you put it? o_O

Comment

Plus, there is no way they were going to bundle a monitor with the chair.

So you couldn't fit a tv in that space (except a ****ty little one), but it would've been all good for Philips I suppose.

Hydraulics? At home? Early 90s? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                                Yakumo, I think I know the board you're referring to but I have no idea what nick he uses there, I don't post there but it's a great site, I loved the original one with all the hardware and info etc et
                                I havea big run in with MD here that really pissed me off. As for ASSEMbling a list of boards I visit I'm sure you can guess which one he's a member of now.

Yakumo

Comment

Working...
                                X