Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PAL PC-ENGINE, modding to make multi regional???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lettuce
    Whats the difference between the Core Graphx 1 and 2? Is the Core Graphx just a different name for the PC-Engine? or was it different inside?
    The main difference is that they both have an AV connector instead of an RF modulator. The difference between the Core I and II is a slightly redesigned case and joypad. The Core I and II is otherwise the same machine internally as a white PC Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
      The adverts in The Games Machine were for grey imports, Japanese white PC Engine with a 240v psu and dodgy RGB mod.

They were the ones that NEC then released a disclaimer about. The psu must of been the reason they were overheating and blowing up.
      (Thanks Papercut)

Comment

Originally posted by Jashin
        No, the PC-Engine was definately released in Europe. I have some old issues of 'The Games Machine', and there are adverts for it in there.
        I had one of them. It somehow worked its way under my desk at Zzap! Towers, then found a place in my home, where it has worked without problems now for the past 18 years. I have a converter for it. It's one of my favourite shoot 'em up machines, too: Dragon Spirit, Galaga 90, Gunhed, etc.

But AFAIR it was never released in the UK, except via Andy Smales's importing company.

Comment

The TG-16 was released in Europe, it played the US Hu Cards and it was RGB due to the fact that it only came out in France, distributed by a french company, and as the french use the secam colour system it was easier to give it RGB.

And you could walk inot a Hypermarket and it was sitting next to nintendo and sega machines, you didn't need to go to an import shop for it.

Comment

do you know if it was 50 or 60Hz?

Comment

I would think it was 50hz?
              I am going from memory as it was years ago, saw them in a supermarket when I was over there on holiday.

Comment

I just got rid of my PAL turbografix 16 today, along with the import adaptor. US and JAP games run in 50 htz with borders, and are the usual 17.5 percent slower.. it came with a standard 2 pin euro lead. and ran in RGB.. it looked more like a shrunken ps2 than any resemblance to the classy white or dou versions....

Comment

Yeah,

I'm a fan of the white engine myself. Once you have that married up to a CD-ROM2 it does everything the Core G does anyway. Plus it looks like injection moulded sex.

Just wish I had more than 3 game to play on it.

Comment

Right sat down and did a bit of research and came up with this...

The original white PC Engine was a NTSC machine it supported NTSC RF, although the expansion bus at the back had Composite, Stereo Audio and RGB and sync signals. You could get Composite with an AV Booster. The machine became very popular if because against the Famicom it looked and sounded amazing and the Sega Megadrive had not yet come out.

It became popular via grey imports in other places including the rest of asia, europe and the States. However as NTSC RF or even composite video doesn't work on PAL TVs it meant that some people couldn't play the machine. Although RGB existed on the machine very few TVs had a SCART socket and the ones that did may not have supported RGB (this was the late 80s after all, a lot of people didn't even have CD players....).

However some engineers in Hong Kong found a way of reducing the video refresh rate to 50Hz and converting the video signal from NTSC to PAL (which technically isn't all that difficult to do...) and lo the PAL PC Engine was born. It was a third party adjustment and it was soon copied by people who could just barely hold a soldering iron in the UK (cough colin moron diamond cough...).

NEC saw how popular the machine was and decided to launch the machine in the states and would see how the machine would do before commiting to a european launch. The US machine was a lot larger, the official reason given was that it required more RF shielding then the PC Engine to pass FCC tests. However the unofficial reason was that americans would think that anything that looked smaller then the NES would probably be worse and would struggle to do 64x48 pixels in 4 colours and go beep at the same time. NEC struggled to match SEGA and Nintendo in advertising and the machine struggled to sell in any great numbers.

Back in Asia, NEC decided to try and sell the PC Engine in Asia and unofficially made a small number of PAL Core Grafx units and sold them via a distributor, they didn't sell very well and NEC decided not to enter certain Asian markets.

Back in Europe, NEC saw how the PC Engine in France was selling well via a large games distributor who sold converted PC Engine units. Still Grey imports but NEC decided not to do anything except refuse to repair the machines, in the UK the same thing happened when a few distributors sold the machines via mainstream shops, most notablely Hamleys. NEC then decided to convert NTSC units into PAL ones to see if they could shift some units.

The major differences between the PAL and NTSC ones is the fact that the PAL ones have an Composite AV socket on the machine rather then an RF connector (although an PAL RF box came with most machines). No machines were sold as RGB machines although in France some machines were converted to RGB SCART by the distributors.

NEC did dither about which regions they would sell them in, mainly due to the success of the Sega Master System, Nintendo NES and even Sega Megadrive and the slow sales in the states. Several distributors came up including some investors in the UK that claimed they would sell the TG16 in the UK (which they er didn't). In the end they decided not to sell the machine officially anywhere in Europe. However they did let distributors sell the machines and NEC would at least honour the warrenties. They turned up in Spain, France, the UK, Germany, Italy and Austria and they even were sold in Argentina, South Africa, New Zealand and Australia.

Most of them were unsold and a distributor did sell most of the European stock to various distributors includig Lik Sang and Telegames.

Comment

So if i want to be able to play a PC Engine on my TV (NTSC) i should get pne of the CORE systems then, as they have AV rather than crappy RF??

Comment

... or better still, have Saurian RGB mod a white PC Engine for you, as they are the sweetest visually.

Comment

Hell yeah baby!

AV port replaced
                          Finished

An RGB SCART cable is included with the mod.

Comment

How much do you charge buddy?

Comment

You know that RGB mod is a thing of beauty. I just can't bear the thought of anything being done to my little white fella.

Infact looking at my consoles the PS2 is the only one I don't mind having the guts ripped out and chipped to the middle of next week, which is exactly what I had done.

Guess I'll just have to live with composite through the CD system. To be honest the picture is ok, just not RGB lushness.

Comment

So internally there is no difference between the Standard White PC-Engine, Core GRAFX 1, or Core GRAFX 2. Just the casing is different on these models and the connections??

Comment

Working...
                                X