Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Server and Performance (now with NimbusHosting from post #129 onwards)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something fishy is going on, server went down for about 3 hours

Comment

Maybe it was those hackers again?

Comment

Originally posted by Fader209 View Post
        Boris, the site is so messed up at the moment.

At one point there was a fly walking about inside the screen and I managed to pull it out like it was real, then I got a nose bleed. Then this creepy well flashed on the screen and then the phone rang, it was Dominoes and they said my pizza would be delayed for 7 days
        This made me full-on lol earlier. I was going to post that it did but then Stu did a search.

Comment

Can we hire someone to do searches? The search feature is turned off, and any search request must be submitted on a postcard or the back of a sealed envelope. Then someone looks through all the threads on the forum manually, before responding with the relevant URL.

Any further URLs requested are charged at €0.49

Comment

*Disclaimer - I no know how interwebz workies*
            Can you not set the search so google does the work for searches? Seems to be how some sites do it and tbh is how I search on a few sites that have crappish search functions on them anyway.

Comment

The problem with that is that you can't sort results by date, so even when you've searched for something it can still take ages to find a thread you actually want.

Comment

I was considering the google search option (you have to pay for it). It's super fast though.

But.... looking through the logs, yesterday's issue was caused by a query completely unrelated to search (all the previous falls were search related), which suggests that there's some other underlying problem which switching to google wouldn't solve.

I'm still working on solving it. Sorry about this. Unless someone can find me a mysql database expert, progress is slow going while I read up and learn about all the ins and outs. Thanks for sticking with me.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                  Rebuilding search index, so things might be a little slow for a while. Probably till Friday evening.
                  A big thumbs up. Working better than ever. No need to search-fu anymore.

Comment

That's good to know. It took 24hours to complete so nice that it was worth the effort.

Comment

How come it's no longer possible to browse posts as a guest? I like lurking sometimes.

Comment

If you like to lurk, set yourself as invisible

Comment

No, I don't mean I like hiding. I mean I like being able to browse without signing in because when signed in I usually post more than I want to. Anyway, no big deal. Just curious what the thinking was behind the change.

Comment

It's to encourage people to register and thus post and generally get involved.
                            Hopefully it's working properly and you can browse 10 different threads before having to sign in - I didn't want to make it too draconian.

Comment

Makes sense.

Comment

We're back baby! Was the 'server too busy' thing intentional?

Comment

Working...
                                X