No announcement yet.

Last night's Top Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The military bit was horribly staged, even the 'banter' between the soldiers and Clarkson was fully scripted with horrific acting (dear Top Gear producers - soldiers aren't in the army because they possess great acting skills) . They were pretty cool vehicles, they didn't need to do a crap fake chase like that to show them off.

They need to go back to doing genuine races and challenges. If they're going to do that military propoganda, have them on a range shooting remote controlled cars or make Clarkson take part in a genuine war game.

Comment

This season has been weaker, so far, than the previous one. I don't think the format has ran it's course, they've just not been as on fire with their ideas this time.

Comment

I really enjoyed the Panamera race.

One thing that is getting better this season is the SIARPC, usually total sh*te but only the floppy haired comedian has had me wanting to switch off this season.

I was cursing the show for basically wrecking what was a nice example of an EVO for no good reason, when they said it was due to be destroyed anyway that didn't really make it any better, as May said, it seems a bit stupid to destroy the car. Take it off the dealer sure, use it for better causes, give it to a rally school, sell it on to raise funds that go directly to the police etc would surely be better.

The 'live rounds' things was ridiculous, yeah, of course they were Jezza!

Comment

I only caught the last half an hour of yesterdays show. The letter race they were doing seemed absolutely pointless, more than usual anyway. SIARPC was ok but nothing special. And the tank bit was pathetic, again, a classic example of how everything in Top Gear is so scripted now. The problem is that they continue going along with it, it really feels like they are genuinely trying to convince the viewers that everything is real, such as being fired upon with real ammunition and the car being owned by a previous drug dealer.

I was watching an episode of this on DAVE (or the Top Gear channel) a few days ago, and the episode reminded me of the first one where I realised the heavy amounts of scripting going on and the programme got progressively worse from then on. It was the camping holiday, and the bit when May drove over the neighbours tent thing, and then later on the caravan was set alight. It was so obviously scripted and ever since then, I don't think I have laughed properly out loud at any Top Tear since. It's a shame, as the old Top Gears really were great; interesting car reviews; much more spontaneous comedy; interesting and funny car challenges etc.
          Last edited by Malc; 13-07-2009, 09:25.

Comment

The scripted nature of the show doesn't typically bother me as I usually find the show funny which along with the cars is the bottom line. This weeks I have to admit was a bit sloppy. The army bit was a shame. As a concept I really liked the idea of the cat and mouse game but they blew it by over scripting. I'd rather they had a genuine race and after let the army blow up the car.

The postal race was stupidly prearranged. A Nissan Micra would win given Royal Mail can barely manage to deliver a letter from one address in Manchester to another in 48hrs let alone 24hrs. If they'd done it and not informed RM of the race they'd have definately won.

Comment

Top Gear has always been scripted, so don't kid yourselves with nostalgia.

Comment

No it hasn't. Bits like the Caravan Conkers or the Rocket Sled mini clearly weren't scripted. You don't get bits like that anymore though.

Comment

Yes the format is getting rather old now.

It used to be pretty funny, but its almost like they are taking the piss out of the people who are watching it.
                  Last edited by SUMIRE; 28-07-2009, 11:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Brats View Post
                    No it hasn't. Bits like the Caravan Conkers or the Rocket Sled mini clearly weren't scripted. You don't get bits like that anymore though.
                    you can't really script gravity and it wasn't really needed. Still I accept your claim that some of challenges weren't (heavily) scripted. Also May's hair hasn't gone grey yet in that Caravan Conkers bit.

Comment

Old Top Gear reminded me a lot like the Mythbusters format.

There are bits that are scripted and forced but they're clearly supposed to be but the actual meat of the episodes was mostly done for real. There are some exceptions (they were never going to show a working 'how to beat speed radar guns') but it feels like it flows.

It's like Borat, the worst parts of that were when they played clearly scripted bits off as real (I don't mean the bits in Kazakhstan which were great). The best bits are where you can clearly see it's real.

Comment

They try too hard to be funny - the cat & mouse bit yesterday was completely overdone but it didn't need to be. I'd have been perfectly happy watching a straight feature on the army vehicles. Instead you learn almost nothing and watch Clarkson making a tit of himself. When they don't try so hard the show is one of the most entertaining and funny on TV, but this season has felt worse than usual.

The Focus RS was pretty nice though, it was clearly better than the Megane!

Comment

Indeed, that bridge vehicle, the high speed assault vehicle, the demolisher tank.

I would have rather just seen these being shown off in a straight manner than tarting it up with a cringeworthy fake 'chase'.

Comment

Turns out the Veyron speeding ticket was fake. The guy modified it. Apparently he was caught doing 100 in an Infiniti. Not top gear's fault, I guess....

Comment

No-one really cares about this anymore do they, shame really.

I missed the first 2 mins of last nights and just sat going WTF for the first article, "Dinosaurs? WTF?"

Can't think of much memorable about the rest. Seems they are getting better guests on now for SIARPC at least.

Comment

to me its becomming bit like Last of the Summer Wine, its there all the time, doesn't change much so you either like it or not and its moving wallpaper tv.

the dino thing was really bizarre and totally irrelevent to the cars.

I thought the classic car rally thing was one of the better recent challenges though

Comment

Working...
                                X