Childhood TV - joy, wonder and awe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by superkully
    How could we talk about these films on _this_ forum without mentioning The Last Starfighter
    That film blew me away as a kid!!! - I still to this day hope an old geezer in a futuristic car will turn up round my gates after a truly sick run on Psyvariar 2! I want to walk into a hangar and see Five Ascetics ready for launch with sick choons blaring out the cockpit! They are SO lucky I aint up there!

Comment

Re: Stand By Me

That's one of my all-time favourite films, that.

Comment

Not quite up there with The Goonies et al, but War Games was good fun.

Comment

How anyone can say the Goonies is a childhood treat is beyond me. Don't you remember that "Heeey, you guuuuys" bloke. Still ****s me up even now.

Comment

Originally posted by Stakers
            How anyone can say the Goonies is a childhood treat is beyond me. Don't you remember that "Heeey, you guuuuys" bloke. Still ****s me up even now.
            I admit being scared of sloth(I think) when I was younger, especially when he first appeared in the movie. But as it carried on I grew to like him and in the end I thought he was alright.

Comment

Sloth is heavy! ALL YOUR SWEETS ARE BELONG TO SLOTH!!11

Comment

That is brilliant. I remember crying when poor ol' Sloth held up the boulder

Comment

I used to watch Big Trouble in Little China an unhealthy amount. That film was funny as hell and had those three elemental dudes with the wicked hats!!!

When I first played Mortal Combat I was sooooo happy

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshimoto
                    Marcus...Is Cats Eye the same one where the girl has her mouth removed?

Jesus, that used to freak me out no end.
                    Yoshimoto, thats Twilight Zone the movie. Incidentally, thats another one which I was scared by as a kid, specifically the 'nightmare at 20000 feet' section where John Valentine is convinced that there is a creature on the wing of the plane destroying its engines. Of course, noone else beleives him, or can see it. For ages this had me scared of planes, and that creature looked so vile and real to me that it remains one of the most scary things Ive seen on film. The point where hes hanging out of the window, the creature runs up the wing towards him and looks direct into his face and then waves its long finger as if to say hes been very bad freaked me out as a kid. What was its purpose? Why did it do that? Why could noone else see it? Im after this on DVD also, its another great movie that stands out from my childhood.

Comment

Originally posted by disco-tom
                      Return to Oz (shut it, you arses. )
                      Return to Oz is a surprisingly dark minor classic full of all sorts of disturbing gubbins.

It's absolutely magnificent and I will pwn anyone who says diff.

There's a decent R1 dvd of The Last Starfighter, if anyone's interested: has a really decent doc on the early cgi... one of my faves.

No-one like Dragonslayer? Another '80s neglected Disney (partly) live action with surprisingly dark themes...

Comment

At a time when computer hacking was very much the buzz the movie Wargames was pretty cool as a kid. And who here didnt try and emulate Daniel-Sans winning Dragon Kick in the Karate Kid? Be honest now..

Comment

Originally posted by marcus
                          At a time when computer hacking was very much the buzz the movie Wargames was pretty cool as a kid. And who here didnt try and emulate Daniel-Sans winning Dragon Kick in the Karate Kid? Be honest now..
                          Damn right! I connected it wickedly against one brer at school! Kicked him straight in the teeth XD

I used to watch stupid amounts of Kung Fu movies - proper used to love the Ninja stuff starring Sho Kosugi aswell, manz was forver trying to make Shuriken by cutting up metal tins XD

Comment

But Saurian, that was like, last week, wasnt it ^_o

Comment

You seen that ninja film where they burrow under the ground Saurian?

I think it was called 'Sakura Killers' or something similar...absolute madness.

Comment

Moonwalker
                                Batman & Robin: The Movie (The one with Adam West - that is some crazy ****! "Somedays you just can't get rid of a bomb!")
                                Transformers: The Movie, obviously
                                Santa Claus: The Movie
                                My Little Pony: The Movie (Man that was scary)
                                The Exorcist (Pissed myself laughing watching that)

Comment

Working...
                                X