No announcement yet.

Firefly / Serenity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's corny because that's how it's written - it's not meant to be taken entirely seriously when Mal makes jokes.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Smith
      I'm sorry, but I've never understood the idea of leaving a film halfway through. You've paid your money, you had allocated time to the film, so what do you gain by leaving? Serenity does get progressively better as it goes along, but fair enough, if you didn't enjoy what you saw, you probably wouldn't get into the rest.
      Yeah I will usually sit and wait a film out, however the security guards had nicked my McDonalds, so I was starving and it was quite late. I probs would have stayed but those things along with not really enjoying the film made me want to leave.

Still that

bit in the bar where she started kicking ass was ace

Comment

Res, you missed one hell of a movie. I'm sorry you didn't like it, but I thought it was probably the best sci-fi movie I've seen in years.

Comment

When I first saw FireFly, I hated it. Barely scraped through the initial two episodes. To me, it just screamed cheesy over-acting, god awful stereotypes and sloppy, unoriginal scripts.

However, having stuck with it, I'm almost beginning to like it now. The later episodes inject some much needed humour, so much so that I no longer wish to grab the Captain by his smug little neck and shake him 'til he dies.

For this reason, I'd like to see Serenity, BUT... I'm hesistant because I hated the first two FF episodes, both directed by Wheddon, who also directs the film.

To the people who've already seen Serenity, is the humour of the later FF episodes still evident in the film?

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Smith
            I'm sorry, but I've never understood the idea of leaving a film halfway through. You've paid your money, you had allocated time to the film, so what do you gain by leaving? Serenity does get progressively better as it goes along, but fair enough, if you didn't enjoy what you saw, you probably wouldn't get into the rest.
            In Res's defense, I've walked out of a film halfway through too. The last time it occurred was watching the horrific Devil's Advocates. After an hour or so had passed, I just thought "I'm wasting my life by watching this film. I am feeling precious seconds of my life tick by into this bland abyss of banality, and I'm never going to get them back."

Why waste more?

Having said that, I had a member's pass thingy, so thankfully I didn't PAY to have an hour of my life wiped off the slate.

Comment

You walked out of The Devils advocate?? Are you crazy??

Comment

Originally posted by Mardigan8
                You walked out of The Devils advocate?? Are you crazy??
                Its OK man, I have sent Captain Spaulding around to pay him a little visit...

Edit - man I'm really off form today o_O

Comment

Originally posted by spagmasterswift
                  Its OK man, I have sent Captain Spaulding around to pay him a little visit...
                  He had better have been briefed to issue harsh discipline... The Devils Advocate is an absolute screamer of a movie. Al Pacino is the ****ing don in it. His speech to Reeves toward the end is one of his finest movie moments for me.

"HE'S AN ABSENTEE LANDLORD!!"

Intend on going to see Serenity as soon as I get enough drugs into the missus for her not to care what she is watching

Comment

Originally posted by Mardigan8
                    Intend on going to see Serenity as soon as I get enough drugs into the missus for her not to care what she is watching
                    With that movie it may take a lot...

Comment

Dont think there is enough drugs in circulation at the moment to get her into that. Looks good though!!

Comment

ARG! Sorry, I've been here less than twenty four hours and I've already acquired the stupid disease.

I meant to say The Devil's REJECTS, not Advocate.

Comment

I got to go to the premier on wednesday, really enjoyed the film. I liked it far more than any of the recent star wars films. I went with a friend who didn't know any of the background and he really enjoyed it too. I lent him the series DVDs but I really feel like watching through it again myself now.

For anyone interested you can watch (fullscreen) the first 9 minutes of the film here:

Comment

Originally posted by Edame
                            I liked it far more than any of the recent star wars films.
                            Pure madness!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JamFDUK
                              To the people who've already seen Serenity, is the humour of the later FF episodes still evident in the film?

Very much so. Mal and particularly Jayne get some cracking one liners....my only disappointment on the humour front is that Book isn't nearly as funny as usual.

Comment

Saw this last night with a variety of people and everybody was positive. We didn't know what to expect (none of us having seen Firefly and me not having read this thread) so it was a bit of a surprise to discover that it was proper dark sci-fi. Made me think about whether the Gap series could be made into a movie (or three), but I guess those books are just too dark.

If I were to criticise anything it would be the sound quality. Some of the things they said were very hard to make out, partly due to the accents but also because of the muffled reproduction.
                                It did get a bit cheesy in places, but I think the script did realise when it was getting in trouble and would crank up the cheese on purpose to turn it into a comedy effect ("You mean.... sex?!?").

Recommended. 8/10

Comment

Working...
                                X