No announcement yet.

Gig Going Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot to say I saw The Lemonheads last week. They played the whole of the It's a Shame About Ray album, which is one of may favourites of all time. It's an exercise in making song-writing seem really simple, but is actually an art form. Beautiful, sad, funny, clever, rocking and imaginative, it's an album that I will never tire of and hearing it live again was a real treat.

Evan Dando played a few acoustic numbers, including the fantastic "Outdoor Type", then the band came on and played the album. It's quite short, so thankfully they played a few more.

The songs speak for themselves and I sang my heart out for most of the gig, but there was minimal crowd banter and no encore. They did a sell-out tour of this album last year so it felt a little like Evan was doing this for the dollars, not the music. A little bit of chat with the crowd or talking about some of the songs would've gone down a treat and the cries of "More!" fell on deaf ears.

Comment

Went to see We Are Augustines at Academy 3 in Manchester on Wednesday. It was a really excellent intimate gig from a really good upcoming band. I think it was the first gig of their UK tour and you can tell that they really appreciated the support and really enjoyed themselves. Check em out!

Comment

Stone Roses last night at Heaton Park was amazing! Still buzzing from it now. Made of Stone, Love Spreads and Fools Gold were the highlights of the evening for me. Raving in the mud with 75,000 others to Resurrection's outro is something I will never forget!

Comment

Aye, I know a few peeps who are at that event, infact one of my work colleagues is doing the whole weekend O_o. If she makes it into work tomoz, I'll hafta ask her bout it.

Must admit, it's not my cup of Yorkshire tea, but I can appreciate the whole feeling that everyone feels, vibing to the same music at the same time...

Glad yah had fun... It's nice when we all get along at these gatherings...

Comment

I had tickets to see them at Manchester last night but sold them. The Roses debut is one of my all time favourite albums and they were the first 'big' band I ever saw live back when I was a teenager. When the tickets arrived for these gigs I was so excited, but then I thought back to that gig and how bad Ian Brown was. Not just bad, but genuinely horrendous. That's what made me decide not to go to last nights show in the end. I dare say the atmosphere was brilliant, but I watched some vids of it on youtube today, he hasn't got better with age. Squire sounded like he was on good form though. As long as you had a good time that's all that matters!

Comment

Yeah Brown has never had the best voice! Have to say I thought he was quality last night, much better than the previous time I saw him back at Leeds in '09. I was too young to see The Stone Roses back in their heyday so I'm just glad I got the opportunity to see them at all, and thankfully they did manage to live up to my expectations.

Got talking to a random guy in the crowd who claimed to be 'in the know' about the Manchester music scene and he reckons that Johnny Marr is 99% certain to play with Morrissey at his homecoming gig at the end of July with a Smiths reunion to follow - he is most likely talking bollox but I have my fingers crossed nonetheless!
              Last edited by parkinho; 01-07-2012, 21:46.

Comment

I'm off to see the hottest band in the world - KISS at an 'intimate' gig on Wednesday in London. It will be the third time seeing them for me. Previously its been in front of huge crowds so to see them in front of about 2,000 people should be interesting.

Comment

Anyone going for that BT River of Music on July 21st/22nd?

Tickets are only ?3

Comment

T in the Park this coming weekend. Cack line up this year though. Anyone else going ?

Comment

I will do T in the Park one year as it usually has a great lineup.

How was Download for you? Who were your fave bands of the weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                        T in the Park this coming weekend. Cack line up this year though. Anyone else going ?
                        Sold my tickets to Neoboy259 as I had the same opinion line-up wise. I think i've done 14 T's in total. It should've been THE festival to go to this year with Glasto being off.

Comment

Originally posted by evilthecatuk View Post
                          I'll be there probably pissed as a rat in the killswitch tent last pit of theres I was in I ended up with a broken rib
                          Jesus. I'd rape a male to be there. Especially with the return of Jesse Leach.

Comment

Jesse isn't as good as Howard. He does an ok job of the Howard era songs, but his voice isn't really strong enough. The End Of Heartache would likely make it into my top 10 albums ever, and that's when I really sat up and took notice of Killswitch.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              I will do T in the Park one year as it usually has a great lineup.

How was Download for you? Who were your fave bands of the weekend?
                              Download was great. Can't believe we managed to see so many bands across the weekend. Personal highlights were Lawnmower Deth, Metallica, Anthrax, Biffy Clyro, Ginger Wildheart and Opeth. Megadeth were ok and even though I'm not a fan I really enjoyed Trivium as well.
                              The campsite, village and arenas were very muddy but it didn't seem to affect the weekend much for most. I think festivals like that are more genre specific have a better atmosphere than something like T.

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo View Post
                                Sold my tickets to Neoboy259 as I had the same opinion line-up wise. I think i've done 14 T's in total. It should've been THE festival to go to this year with Glasto being off.
                                My thoughts as well. T organizers have missed a trick there. The lineup lacks any properly big bands. Snow Patrol, Kasabian and the Stone Roses aren't exactly in the same league as say the Foo Fighters, Chillis. I'd have expected Coldplay, Adele and 30 Seconds to Coldplay (Mars) this year. I wonder if they looked at any of the Sonisphere lineup after it was cancelled. Would be great to have Faith No More at T.

Comment

Working...
                                X