No announcement yet.

Gig Going Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to see my mates band tonight - Out For Blood at Edwards no8 in Birmingham tonight! Never seen him play live before, so should be good!

Comment

Starting to get excited about the Big Ask gig at Koko on monday A very unusual chance to see Thom Yorke & Jonny Greenwood performing an acoustic set!

Comment

Well, I just got back from the Joe Satriani concert, and I'm still in amazement over what I witnessed. Joe is, without any shred of a doubt (pardon the pun for those who get it) the greatest rock guitarist alive on the planet today, and tonight was a clinic in just how wonderfully the instrument can be played. Hell, he doesn't play the guitar. He owns it. He's its master. For him, a guitar is what a paintbrush was to Michelangelo. It is a living extension of his own body. I swear, sometimes I think he has God and the Devil both trapped in his hands, and when he plays you can hear them both speaking through his music. It is almost supernatural. He is truly at the top of his game, and tonight only proved it.

Opening the concert was Eric Johnson, another fine guitarist. He played through a good selection of newer and older songs, and I enjoyed all of it. He wisely chose to close his set with a rousing performance of Cliffs Of Dover, so he was able to leave the stage to a standing ovation, which he richly deserved. I think he played for an hour all totalled.

Joe came on about twenty minutes later, and it was all over after that. As good as Eric is, Joe overshadows him terribly. Joe opened his set with Crystal Planet, but after that he played several selections from his new album. Since they were so new it was obvious that the audience wasn't as familiar with them as they are with his other work, but they were great songs and he performed them perfectly, so it was great. The show really opened up, though, when he went into a ten minute long version of Always With Me, Always With You. He ended the show with Summer Song, and it was an amazing performance, but of course there was an encore, so he came back out and did two more songs. But, just when you thought it might all be over, he ushers Eric Johnson back onto the stage along with Andy Timmons, another great Texas guitarist. Together, all three of them performed Down, Down, Down, and then to send me right over the edge they played a near fifteen minute long performance of Red House. It was the PERFECT way to end the show. I couldn't have asked for a better night.

Anyway, I had a blast, and I can't wait to do it all again the next time he comes back around. Joe, you really do make every other guitar player in the business look like a rank amateur.

Comment

So um... you enjoyed it then!

Comment

Just been looking at the Leeds/Reading line ups and was overjoyed to see Pearl Jam headlining one night. My enjoyment was then cut short somewhat when I saw all the other bands playing that night. Placebo, Slayer, My Chemical Romance, I don't think so. The big question is why are AudioSlave playing on a different night to Pearl Jam?

Comment

The Friends of the Earth benefit gig @ Koko on Monday night was quite simply the best gig I have ever been to. Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead headlined the show, and completely blew me away. They chose an amazing set to play, and included a couple of blinding new tracks.

And Koko is such a wonderful venue, loads of nooks and crannies.

Comment

Futurehead ticket get!

Comment

Just got back from seeing The Sisters Of Mercy in Manchester.
                  Pretty good(^_^), but I'm knackered now.

Comment

Seeing Presidents of the USA tonight at the Birmingham Academy - can't wait, since they've been upgraded to playing on the big stage instead of the cramped tiny one with a **** view \m/

Comment

Saw Radiohead on Thursday and Friday at Hammersmith Apollo, and they were awesome! They played a very different setlist both nights, including all 12 of the new songs they've been playing on this tour. The venue is also one of the nicest I've been too, and really helped to make both nights very special indeed

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk
                        Futurehead ticket get!
                        got mine for the keele gig. also saw them when they played the secret tour not long ago. they were on fire. looking forward to the new album

Comment

Originally posted by Yoraths mullet
                          Just been looking at the Leeds/Reading line ups and was overjoyed to see Pearl Jam headlining one night. My enjoyment was then cut short somewhat when I saw all the other bands playing that night. Placebo, Slayer, My Chemical Romance, I don't think so. The big question is why are AudioSlave playing on a different night to Pearl Jam?
                          What's wrong with Slayer?!

Comment

Absolutely nothing

Comment

Ya enjoy Radiohead Square? I thought it was ace; but gotta say, thought Broken Social were better on the Monday night. Saw them at The Koko in Camden town.

Comment

Which night Nick? Friday was a great gig, but thursday night they were God-like. What do you think of Koko as a venue? I think it's a beautiful little building with a huge amount of character and great acoustics.

Comment

Working...
                                X