No announcement yet.

Gig Going Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=8265]CMcK[/MENTION] I tried messaging you, but I'm guessing you'd already left for Download.
    Deffo catch you at some point, mate.
    I'd love to buy you a pint.

Anyway, I did the Saturday at Download and had a great day.
    Sitting with mates, in the sunshine, listening to riffs was just bliss.

Musical highlights for me were Monster Truck, Mastodon, Megadeth and Maiden.
    Any bands not beginning with "M" weren't as good.

All the other stages finished and only Maiden played at the end, so we got to see Megadeth headline the second stage and Maiden close the main stage, but everyone was watching Maiden, so we were farther back than I'd have liked. However, I'd rather compromise Maiden to see Megadeth than not see them at all.

Couple of vids:

Comment

Love the Truck, awesome live band.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
        Love the Truck, awesome live band.
        Yeah a real treat.

Felt like 30 minutes of solid grooves, man.

Comment

Well Download was a real mixed bag for me this year. Got Covid so started to feel lousy on the Saturday evening and missed MegaDave and Iron Maiden.
          Highlights of the weekend for me were Baroness and The Descendants. Baroness were simply awesome and clearly looked to be enjoying themselves too. Never thought I’d get to see The Descendants as they never play in Scotland and I’m glad to say they were great.
          Other bands I really enjoyed were Electric Wizard, Red Fang and Blues Pills. I’d have to single out the singer of Blues Pills in particular she’s got a great voice and loads of energy on stage.
          Covid issues and not getting to meet QC aside my biggest disappointment was Biffy Clyro. They have achieved massive success but their albums after Opposites do little for me and they don’t delve much into the back catalogue these days. In all fairness their stage production is impressive and they always give it some live.
          It was great to be back at Download after the pandemic curtailed it. The new site layout is a real improvement with less distance between car and campsite a highlight. Also the village area is far better than before and the hard standing will be a real boon when the Drownload years hit.

Comment

Oh mate, sorry to hear you got hit by Covid. Hope you're feeling better, but it's annoying to get it when you want to be on-form.

I only did the Saturday, but you deffo checked out a lot of the bands I'm into that roughly fall under the "stoner" genre.

Ha, waiting for Mastodon, there were two people in front of me that bonded as they offered each other a light.
            They both stood with spliffs in their mouths until the band came on, then they both lit up and clinked spliffs.
            Not sure why I had the munchies after that set, though?

I'm still buzzing from Megadeth, which was the highlight for me, sorry CMcK!

Comment

Glad to see folks had a good time at Download!

I ended up skipping Tool at the O2 because I could not face the O2. I later found out another friend went on the other of the two dates, and after popping out for a smoke at one point was told by security that there was no re-entry and that he couldn't go back in. Huge crowd of people being told the same, too. Honestly, **** that place.

I did make it out for Oranssi Pazuzu at the Underworld though, which was very good. I'm considering a few things before, but a quiet few months from here. One thing I'm starting to see more and more now are US bands listing European tours without any UK dates. I mean, I get it, but...

Comment

Radio 1's Rock Show played a bit of Tool and I was like "Ooh, who's this?!", so I really need to investigate a bit more.
                Tried shuffling some songs whilst I cooked, but I think they're an album band, right?
                Where should I start?

Anyway, other gigs, I'm seeing Ash play Free All Angels in September.

I WON'T be seeing the Taylor Hawkins tribute show as the tickets evaporated.
                Look forward to seeing about 70% of them on reseller sites owned by Ticketmaster.

However, I have got tickets for a couple of days at this festival.
                Check out this amazing lineup of bands!*

*Tribute

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  Radio 1's Rock Show played a bit of Tool and I was like "Ooh, who's this?!", so I really need to investigate a bit more.
                  Tried shuffling some songs whilst I cooked, but I think they're an album band, right?
                  Where should I start?
                  Yeah I'd say so. My recommendation would be Lateralus, and from there, if you're up for a slightly less polished but plenty more angry album, Aenima. Both are all-timers in my book!

Mostly enjoying the naming efforts on your tribute festival

Also sparing a thought for some colleagues who are doing the full 9 days at Hellfest in France starting this weekend. There's talk of 40 degree weather, which is not something that I can deal with in the comfort of my own home with fans and a fridge full of drinks. Good grief.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                    Mostly enjoying the naming efforts on your tribute festival
                    Beast Decoys is my favourite!

Comment

If all the tribute bands at that festival can nail the tunes it’ll be awesome. The Megadeth UK lads need to work on their name though!

Comment

Saw Kings of Leon Tuesday Night. Excellent as usual but the audio quality in the Leeds First Direct Arena is awful. Also I think Matthew Followil's guitar was slightly out of tune with everyone else for the entire evening.

Support act called Middle Kids flew over from Australia for just that one night and they were great! been listening to them all day today.

Comment

Ohh, I forgot I bought tickets to see The Atomic Bitchwax!

They're supporting someone I've never heard of, so I'm 100% there for TAB!

Comment

Saw NIN a few weeks ago in Brixton, Cracking show. Day of train strikes made it a long journey.
                            Going to see Front 242 in Islington this evening (cancelled show from 2020)

Comment

Managed to get tickets for Springsteen at Hyde Park last night in the presale. It will be my first gig and first time back in London in over three years since the world went mad. Very excited even though it'll be my tenth time seeing him. Also hoping to get tickets for Murrayfield.

Comment

Nice. I expect we’re too late for Springsteen tickets but I’ll have a look.

Randomly, at the Walls Social Club next to my office The Suharhill Gang and Melle Mel are playing in a few weeks and we nabbed a pair of tickets.

Comment

Working...
                                X