No announcement yet.

Gig Going Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got tickets for The Boss at Murrayfield as well, general on sale is tomorrow from 9am for all the shows [MENTION=9465]Brad[/MENTION]

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
      Got tickets for The Boss at Murrayfield as well, general on sale is tomorrow from 9am for all the shows @Brad
      Half 8 alarm set already mate

Sugarhill gang pulled out of that gig I mentioned. Replaced by... Goldie Lookin' Chain :|

Comment

I'll be honest, GLC would make me want to go more than SHG!
        "Adam's Charm School" is a banger.

Friday I'm seeing The Atomic Bitchwax.
        They're supporting someone I keep forgetting, but can't wait to see TAB back in action.

Comment

Had a 'mare on Friday.
          Hardware failure at work, son needed picking up earlier than planned.
          Needed to focus on the hardware issue, but got as much as I could without being onsite, so went to the gig.

Managed to switch off for a bit and enjoyed the show.
          As I said, I went for the support act, The Atomic Bitchwax, but saw most of the main band, Nebula.
          Their stuff wasn't really my bag, so I left at the encore, but I got to see the Bitchwax guitarist loading the van, shake his hand and have a quick chat.

Comment

The Atomic Bitchwax posted that they'd had a festival cancelled so had a bonus show on this tour in Nuneaton about 45 minutes away...

Well, I watched the football, then jumped in the car for a bonus night of riff goodness!
            If they could travel from Scotland the night before, I thought I could do the 45 mins down the road.

Probably even better than the gig at The Asylum - it was cheaper and they headlined. They were really stoked that people came out on a Sunday, after the football for a last-minute gig.
            I quite liked the venue too - Queen's Hall. Decent rock bar downstairs (with a band playing) and a good atmosphere, upstairs where the main gigs are was really nice too. I spoke to a guy involved with the place afterwards and they've gutted the place post-Covid and it was really clean. I even commented to the barman how zesty fresh it smelled and he'd been Zoflora-ing the place earlier!

As I left, the band were just hanging out with people and I managed to have a chat with the singer/bassist, Chris.
            He was incredibly friendly and we just chatted about some of the joys and chores of life on the road.

They're such a tight band, nailing everything down with no slips in timing or similar.
            Check out one of my faves to see how fast they play, "Giant"...

Comment

Actually, I should mention at the Brum gig, I just had foam earplugs to keep the noise down and my ears weren't ringing the next day, but they really just muffle everything.

At the Nuneaton gig, I remembered my Loop earplugs and was so much happier.
              It was still loud, but they don't make it muddy. It honestly feels like cheating!

Deffo recommend them if you're a regular gig-goer.

Comment

Having to bail on the Church Road Records 5th Birthday show this weekend upon realising that the much-delayed Joe Hisaishi / Ghibli concert at Wembley Arena is the same date. Balls!

Comment

Jinxed it, didn't I. Hours after the above post, it was announced Joe Hiaishi's got COVID and wasn't able to travel, leading to a third postponement of the show. Can't imagine it's going to be possible until some way into 2023, either. Major bummer, but primarily hope he's resting up and ok.

On the plus side, I did make it to the Church Road show instead, which was great. Arrived just in time for Graywave, and following that Noctule and Tuskar were on. All were fantastic, and I very much appreciated seeing some live music.

Comment

I hope you're all sat down because on Sunday, I went to see McFly.

So, basically, my wife's fave band is Scouting For Girls, who were supporting, so she really wanted to see them.
                    Happy wife = happy life.
                    It was part of Trentham Live, a weekend of live music (Craiiiig Daaaavid/Steps) in the grounds of a lovely park.
                    It was fairly small scale (compared to a festival) but well organised.

We had Golden Circle tickets so were really near the stage.
                    Wife is crazy for SFG, but I quite like them too. If you get past the big hit, "She's So Lovely", they've actually got some funny and cleverly-worded songs about James Bond, the 80s and hunger for fame.

So, watching McFly as someone whose normal gigs are metal, was quite interesting.
                    I used to be a gatekeeper and looked down on people who liked Busted or McFly, but I've grown to realise their fans genuinely enjoy their songs and there was a field of people passionately singing along, plus these are great gateway bands to other punkpop artists and I'd rather people be into real bands playing their own instruments.

There's no denying these guys can play, though. They were really tight, not dropping a note, but also able to mess around or jump about without screwing up the song. They seemed a little shy on crowd interaction, though and there were some moments of quiet between songs that surprised me. When they did try to thank the fans, they ended up taking the piss out of each other, and saying the guitarist (Tom Fletcher) get the gold medal if the Olympics had a category for masturbation.

At first, I kept thinking Busted songs were McFly, so had to take a crash course in their songs. I knew more than I thought and there are some pretty decent catchy ones.

So yeah, it was a decent night out!

This weekend I'm attending a metal tribute festival, so from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Comment

While I don't think you're guilty of either, I think there's a big difference between having a bit of a snob streak and actual gatekeeping. Good call on finding the positive though!

I went to see Emma Ruth Rundle supported by Jo Quail a couple of weeks back; both were great and utterly captivating. ERR was performing one album end to end by herself that is dealing with some tough subject material and is very sombre, making for a very personal show. She joked about a room of metalheads sitting still and captive for a show like this, but I think it speaks to her power quite commendably. Can't say I was impressed with the Clapham Grand as a venue though, which was hotter than hell, and where you can often hear passing vehicles outside over what's on the stage.

Have to miss Calligram, Underdark and Dawn Ray'd playing this weekend, but Mono are back in town (reeeaally excited to see GGGOLDDD and Svalbard support) next week which I'm excited for, then I've also got Deafheaven and Holy Fawn before the month's out. Live music!

Comment

I genuinely think you make some of these bands up.

Comment

I’m going to see Mono next week. Really looking forward to that gig.
                          Was at the Vibration festival on Sunday seeing Ash play. They were great.

Comment

I've had bloody McFly songs rattling around my head all week!
                            "Everybody wants to know her naAAaaAAaaAAAme"

Comment

I've moved on from being a gatekeeper so I'm happy for you to enjoy this music. Who knows, maybe it'll be a gateway drug for you to get into some better bands!

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                                I've moved on from being a gatekeeper so I'm happy for you to enjoy this music. Who knows, maybe it'll be a gateway drug for you to get into some better bands!
                                I may even come with you to see Quadrangle Smugglers, CAAAATcatCAAAT, Muteblindness and Chris P. Bacon.

Comment

Working...
                                X