No announcement yet.

Gig Going Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to see Morrissey on Friday night. He was absolutely class. Cracking set and his voice was tremendous. He played in my hometown of Stockton-on-Tees in our newly renovated art deco theatre (The Globe). Very special evening.

Comment

Comment

I might not choose him as a best mate but this is a case where my own history with and enjoyment of the material tips the balance to a point where I don't care about his political views. If fact, I'd says he's authentic if nothing else ... risking alienating loyal fans ... but those fans don't have to be inline with or agree with his opinions for the songs to still resonate.

Comment

It's an eternal battle trying to separate the artist from the art.

Where does one draw the line before consuming their work becomes unsavoury?
          I suspect Gary Glitter is off most people's playlists on one end of the scale, but someone with conflicting political views may reside further up it.

Glad you enjoyed it, but I felt a lot more guilt free watching The Smiths tribute band the other week!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            It's an eternal battle trying to separate the artist from the art.

Where does one draw the line before consuming their work becomes unsavoury?
            Yeah, it's an interesting one. severity of wrongdoing / personal relationship with material, nostalgia etc / standard of content. Lots of factors in each individual case.

Another one for me is Louis CK. I know he misbehaved but I still watch Louie and consider it one of the best comedy shows ever.

Comment

Morrissey is a bit of a right-wing bell-end who was sympathetic to Brexit for sure, but people who take the likes of 'National Front Disco' on face value as an actual statement of his politics are just thick.
              Last edited by Golgo; 19-11-2022, 15:40.

Comment

On a similar tack, Bey Logan has started recording commentaries for 88 Films, which isn't being received particularly well.
                (Harvey Weinstein’s Hong Kong Associate Accused of Sexual Misconduct by Multiple Women)

I follow him on Facebook, but never interact.
                I listen to his commentaries on discs I bought before the accusations came out.
                However, I don't really want to buy any new discs with his participation.

We all draw our own boundaries, but sometimes you just want to bury your head in the sand and pretend your heroes aren't total dicks.
                For example, I know if I pry too much, I'll discover Billy Corgan is the Trump-loving anti-vaxxer I fear he is.
                Last edited by QualityChimp; 12-10-2022, 15:28.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                  Think I left it too late to grab a ticket for Liturgy with support from Pupil Slicer this weekend, but I've joined a wait list in the hope some might come up
                  This worked out! Both were great - the downstairs venue at 229 being a very intimate little spot, and both acts putting on a hell of a show.

A week or so after that I've also booked for Amenra
                  This did not work out. An injury in the band meant they've cancelled. They're coming back in March though, with Igorrr, Der Weg einer Freiheit and Hangman's Chair - I booked and then about 20 minutes after realised it conflicts with something else I've already bought tickets for. Balls!

a strategy that's just secured me a ticket for Lingua Ignota
                  Now this really was something unlike anything else I've seen. It's very hard trying to pin down exactly what her music is, but it is very intense and clearly has the ear of a lot of people who're typically more on the extreme fringes of genre labels. The whole thing felt more like a collective religious experience, and tellingly, the entire crowd were utterly silent throughout the whole 90-minute set. Only at the very end did the whole audience erupt into rapturous applause. Not one I'll forget.

Comment

Back at the Barrowland Ballroom last night to see Maxïmo Park. My sister came up from Wales for this gig and it was worth. The band was having a great night feeding off the enthusiastic crowd. You could see how much they enjoyed the night too.

Comment

Was at The Dreadnought on Friday night to see a few bands but Novustory was the real highlight. The singer has a great voice and plenty of stage presence. Shame the club wasn’t as busy as usual on the night.

Comment

Went to the Royal Concert Hall in Glasgow yesterday to see the Scotland Concert Orchestra performing the Symphonic Universe suite. Basically they performed a collection of themes from popular superhero and SF films. Amazing way to hear these pieces. I’d single out the Jerry Goldsmith Star Trek theme, Danny Elfman’s theme for Tim Burtons Batman as my favourites on the day. Although the classic Star Wars and Superman themes sounded amazing too with all the inherent nostalgia they bring.

Comment

Two Botch dates in Seattle. First shows in over 20 years. Turns out there was some demand for this.

Sad though, as even if they play more I can't picture them coming to the UK. I'm hoping the mighty hate5six gets the green light to capture these ones.

Bit of a departure from this, but went to see Let's Eat Grandma last night. They were good! They're an alt-pop duo who clearly have a lot of fun making and playing music together, which makes for a great starting point for a live show. Don't often find myself listening to such clean and soaring vocals, but they certainly got folks moving plenty too. Good stuff.

Comment

Gutted to hear The Sword have called it quits.

Comment

Went to see Cave In at Room 2 in Glasgow last night. Cracking set with some real old numbers in there. First time I’ve been to that venue too. It’s kinda small basically being a night club putting on gigs.

Comment

Saw Opeth at the Eventim Apollo in London last night, their 30 yr anniversary 'by request' tour. 1 song from each of their 13 albums, so a good amount of old fashioned death growling was on offer as well as more recent proggy stuff. Was
                                absolutely superb. Great crowd, incredibly diverse and friendly. First gig for my lad, who was moshing and raising devil horns like a pro. I confess I might have shed a tiny tear of pride. Or maybe I was still just crying at the price of the beer.

Comment

Working...
                                X